Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2018, 04:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So much Ricoh love for K series. What about 645?

Where is our MKII upgrade of the Z with electronic shutter and Accelerator module and some new lenses?

All this love for the K1 and we are left with not even a kiss on the cheek from Ricoh.

Come on, show us the love.

Scott

02-24-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Soon.
02-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hey, the outlook for MF is not as desolate as it is for the Q system.
02-25-2018, 03:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Soon.
One can only hope.

02-25-2018, 09:20 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
One can only hope.
True. Still the reasoning for launching the 645z is still valid so I have no doubt they will replace the 645z at some point and add new lenses to the line. I am also positive that this will happen at a much slower rate than many would like.

I don't follow other brands so I don't know if this is true across the industry or just Pentax but I get a sense that development cycles are lengthening. I suspect that happens in many industries as technology matures and rate of change slows. If there is nothing significantly different in (for example) sensor tech today from 2 years ago then why introduce a new camera?

I see the same in computers. I used to build a new computer every year, then every two years. Last week I realized mine was 5 years old.
02-25-2018, 11:02 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps the next MF release will coincide with the next new major FF model release and a new shared sensor core.
02-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Perhaps the next MF release will coincide with the next new major FF model release and a new shared sensor core.
Both the APS-c and K-1 were delayed by the 645z. I'm not sure Pentax has two teams working the high end of their model lines. From their statements it sure sounds like the 645z, K-1 and APS-c flagship are all done by the same design team, meaning coinciding releases are unlikely.

Also it was stated that the 645z is on a 5 year cycle, moved up to 4 because of the availability of the new sensor. I don't think we are there yet unless there is some other new technology they feel is too good to pass on.

02-28-2018, 02:07 AM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Gallery
I'd like to see a new 645 simply for Pentax's sake to stay in the market and provide options for people but personally I can't see myself replacing my Z for many years. 50mp is enough for huge prints and the image quality is spectacular (essential perfect at low ISO) and I just use it as a tripod based landscape camera so I don't need much in the way of features. The only thing I wish it had was the bulb timer that the K1 got with a firmware update. I'd rather see Pentax pour R & D into some kick-ass lenses to replace all the old screw drive stuff which I refuse to buy. A new 80-160 and 23mm F4 would be great.

If they did do a new Z maybe they should just do a Mk2 upgrade like they did with the K1 with some hardware and firmware tweaks, the K1 AF system etc.
02-28-2018, 06:07 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I too am now hopeful

If this K1 to K1II "refurb" upgrade is successful, then I have hope that it will next extend to the 645Z. I think it could be a perfect candidate for a similar upgrade, although in the Z's case I hope it would focus on some other things. If it's what I would like, I would expect it to cost significantly more, but still maybe only be a third-half the cost of a new camera. I'd jump on the offer.

Of course this won't be satisfactory for our least satisfied owners, but it might be perfect for others of us who are generally already satisfied. As of this writing I plan to do the K1 upgrade as the price and send-in window suit me.
03-01-2018, 12:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gyroscope Quote
A new 80-160 and 23mm F4 would be great.

If they did do a new Z maybe they should just do a Mk2 upgrade like they did with the K1 with some hardware and firmware tweaks, the K1 AF system etc.
Yes and a new standard zoom would be great. I could travel with just the 645Z and a 45-85mm OS lens and be very happy.

A Mark II refresh would need, as you say, things such as:

- K1 AF upgrade
- Electronic First curtain shutter, like K1
- K1 extended bulb mode, would be lovely
- Accelerator unit for better high ISO
- K1 tilt/flip/rotate screen

Then give us the 2 new lenses on the roadmap and a 22mm, 23mm, 24mm or 25mm wide angle f/4 lens.

Pentax cameras still in my view have the best in-hand feel and controls of anything I have used. I am also completely happy with 50mp and don't need more as a hobbyist.
03-06-2018, 12:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Yes and a new standard zoom would be great. I could travel with just the 645Z and a 45-85mm OS lens and be very happy.

A Mark II refresh would need, as you say, things such as:

- K1 AF upgrade

- Electronic First curtain shutter, like K1

- K1 extended bulb mode, would be lovely

- Accelerator unit for better high ISO

- K1 tilt/flip/rotate screen

Then give us the 2 new lenses on the roadmap and a 22mm, 23mm, 24mm or 25mm wide angle f/4 lens.

Pentax cameras still in my view have the best in-hand feel and controls of anything I have used. I am also completely happy with 50mp and don't need more as a hobbyist.

Id like to add on to your list reduce the size by a little as well

03-06-2018, 05:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Yes there is a bunch of air inside sections of the Z. That shouldn’t be hard.
03-06-2018, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Not if it affects the ergonomics. The Fuji is horrible to hold unless you put the battery grip on it. The Z is big but not actually too big in the hands in my experience.
03-06-2018, 07:37 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
Not if it affects the ergonomics. The Fuji is horrible to hold unless you put the battery grip on it. The Z is big but not actually too big in the hands in my experience.
Although I'm not as sure about the Fuji, having only held it once (did not like the EVF---had the flicker problem which seems to only affect some people. First time I've had a problem with an EVF...), I wholeheartedly agree about the Z's ergonomics. And as far as all that air inside, it's there on purpose: it's legacy from the older 645 models, and the legacy lenses are all designed for it.
03-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was referring to the gaps that are between the rear of the camera and the sensor. Adam made an image in his review I think showing what it would look like if they shrunk it back and kept the same flange distance and it was much more appealing with no loss of ergonomics. See link

Pentax 645Z Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews

That would be perfect