Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2018, 03:37 AM   #1

645D vs 645Z Comparison

Hi folks

How good is the 645D today in comparison to the 645Z. Or in other word is it still worth to buy it?

Wanted Pro's and Con's

03-04-2018, 08:25 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Everything I know is hearsay. But the basic info is that the z is much more capable in low light (higher ISO). For studio work where you control the light I believe the differences are lessened considerably.
03-04-2018, 08:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
PROs of the D:
- less expensive

CONs of the D:
- much higher image noise and worse high-ISO performance
- no live view
- no video
- slightly lower resolution

Differences (it's a personal choice whether this is a pro or a con):
- CCD instead of CMOS (some say they like CCD colors of the 645D better)
- slower (some do prefer this to avoid the spray-and-pray temptation of fast digital cameras)

(A more details analysis is at Pentax 645D vs Pentax 645Z Detailed Comparison )
03-04-2018, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, I'd say that's a very interesting question---for you. You do beautiful work with film already, so I'm not sure the D offers you that much of an advantage, unless you can get one for a "song".

The Z, OTOH, is a very different animal. Its ability to shoot at higher iso's, or underexposed by multiple stops----I think you might find quite interesting, and beneficial to the work you do. Its WR is also excellent.

These aspects of the camera alone would be liberating to you, and expand your photographic opportunities and allow you to extend the already fine work that you do beyond what is technically feasible or just quite difficult now with what you are using. It won't make you a better photographer, IOW (as it actually has me...)---it will just allow you to extend your excellence elsewhere.

03-04-2018, 01:49 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Well, I'd say that's a very interesting question---for you. You do beautiful work with film already, so I'm not sure the D offers you that much of an advantage, unless you can get one for a "song".

The Z, OTOH, is a very different animal. Its ability to shoot at higher iso's, or underexposed by multiple stops----I think you might find quite interesting, and beneficial to the work you do. Its WR is also excellent.

These aspects of the camera alone would be liberating to you, and expand your photographic opportunities and allow you to extend the already fine work that you do beyond what is technically feasible or just quite difficult now with what you are using. It won't make you a better photographer, IOW (as it actually has me...)---it will just allow you to extend your excellence elsewhere.
If you want to get technical, see our reviews:
Pentax 645Z Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Nikon D800E vs. Pentax 645D Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Pentax 645D vs. Nikon D3x Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Or the specs comparison:
Pentax 645D vs. Pentax 645Z - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

But I think what really speaks to the 645Z's dominance is the fact that following its launch and up until now, it hardly gets talked about compared to the Z. IMO, the latest full frame cameras have essentially rendered the 645D obsolete, while the Z is still in a different league.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-05-2018, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

the Z is a great upgrade and makes my mouth water. my needs are simple the D fills my bill. you decide which you need.