Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2018, 07:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Anyone go all medium format and regret it?

I’m just enjoying the 645Nii (as a prelude maybe to a Z one day) with 120 f4. I’ve a lot to learn still, but am not feeling as keen on the K3, my best DSLR currently. I may try to rent a Z and see what it is like, but I honestly don’t want to have APSC, full frame (nothing yet) and medium format (just the Nii, 6x7 and a Kodak folder for now). I get the size and weight that’s my but the IQ is worth it (to me anyway).

Just curious if anyone went MF and regretted it or longed for downsizing.

Thanks,
Troy

03-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HomeMadeSin Quote
I’m just enjoying the 645Nii (as a prelude maybe to a Z one day) with 120 f4. I’ve a lot to learn still, but am not feeling as keen on the K3, my best DSLR currently. I may try to rent a Z and see what it is like, but I honestly don’t want to have APSC, full frame (nothing yet) and medium format (just the Nii, 6x7 and a Kodak folder for now). I get the size and weight that’s my but the IQ is worth it (to me anyway).

Thanks,
Troy
Don't know how typical my experience is but will share in any event. I acquired the 645D, and I am delighted with the improvement in image quality so far achieved. I was fortunately in a position to acquire an excellent selection of medium format lenses--23 P645 lenses, 6 P67 lenses, and 4 Carl Zeiss Jena lenses. The 645D coupled with the two newest and most modern Pentax medium format lenses, the Pentax-D FA 90mm f 2.8 and the D FA 55mm f 2.8, is a dream come true in terms of image quality. There are also several truly excellent lenses in the older FA line, notably the FA* 300mm f 4.0, the FA 120mm f 4.0 macro, and the FA 35mm f 3.5. I tend to be a prime lens shooter, but the FA 45-85 and the FA 80-160 are also outstanding performers. As an added bonus, many of the 645 lenses work very well on the K-1 with the help of an adapter.

My experience is very positive, and I am finding that my use of the smaller formats is on the decline. I am fortunate to be able to get a full range of medium format lenses, and suspect that my outlook would be much less positive if I had to make do with a much smaller collection of medium format glass. As it is, I am looking forward to the day when I can afford also to acquire the 645Z as the 645D despite its fantastic image quality, is a little klutzy in a few ways--no SR, limited ISO, slow image processing, etc.

So I say, go for it, particularly if you can also afford a good set of lenses to take advantage of the advanced features of the Z.
03-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WAY back I went over to 21/4 square for a while, Bronica S2. It soon proved to be much too heavy for my photo-style. I was leaving it behind when going somewhere where there might be photo-ops. Lenses were big and expensive as well, and at that time there weren't many available for Bronica. Then, after less than three years and only modest use, the Bronica began to have mechanical problems, specifically, the mirror would stick so I had to turn the camera upside down and give it a whack to get the mirror back in place for focusing. I thought of that as giving the camera a spanking for misbehavior. Soon after I traded in the camera for a new Pentax body (I think it was an H1a, "Heiland" branded; the original Spotmatic had not been released). One regret - I also traded in the short-mount 250mm f4 Nikkor I'd obtained, a very good lens that is now a collector's item. At the time, adapters were very scarce (the short-mount Nikkor could focus to infinity with an appropriate Nikon (rangefinder) to Pentax (M42) adapter). BTW: A slide I took with the Bronica got an honorable mention in a Kodak sponsored contest. I may still have the letter of notification somewhere, but all those Ektachromes have long since color-shifted beyond hope.
03-04-2018, 11:41 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HomeMadeSin Quote
Troy
No regrets.

Back in the film days, I still kept shooting 35mm for clients, but all my personal work was strictly 645.

I tend to shoot wide to normal...and rarely telephoto past 85mm, so for me going digital, once I upgraded to FF, I rarely shoot APS-C.

I still shoot 645 film because I love scanning Kodak Ektar and Ilford XP2.

Although most would consider going from a 645N to the 645Z an upgrade, for me it isnʻt that simple as the digital sensor is smaller than the film format and I love my 35mm wide angle and shallow depth of field with the 75mm f/2.8. There is also something very zen working with film that I miss with the digital experience.

03-05-2018, 06:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote

I still shoot 645 film because I love scanning Kodak Ektar and Ilford XP2.

Although most would consider going from a 645N to the 645Z an upgrade, for me it isnʻt that simple as the digital sensor is smaller than the film format and I love my 35mm wide angle and shallow depth of field with the 75mm f/2.8. There is also something very zen working with film that I miss with the digital experience.
This is something I’m thinking about also. I haven’t shot many rolls on the 645Nii yet, but what I have shot inspired me more than normal. So, considering glass is expensive, I’m contemplating a 645 base (Nii and hopefully Z) so the lenses could be consolidated and shared.

I can appreciate the size issue, so may choose a compact (Q series?) but purge any film and APS-C bodies. It’s all talk until it happens but appreciate the input so far.
03-05-2018, 11:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have a few classic Pentax 35mm film SLRs (LX, KX, MX etc), a Mamiya 645, a K-5 and a P6x7 with some lenses. I can't justify the $$$$ for a FF DSLR, instead the money went on the 6x7 (since buying it I haven't shot the K-5 at all). I still shoot the 35mm film SLRs occasionally but that's for the enjoyment of using them, I use the 6x7 far more. I used to use the K-5 & DA17-70 for holidays/walkabouts, but have changed to a GR/MX-1 combo (the GR for wide-angle/landscapes, the MX-1 for everything else) - this works better as they're both pocketable - the GR is the equal of the K-5 with a very good 28mm equivalent lens in a much smaller package.

I have the Pentax 6x7 -> 645 adapter, should I want to hire a Z, but I can't see being able to justify buying one.
03-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I regret it from the fact that I went Pentax. I’ve had to buy a second FF system from Canon to get what I need to round out a landscape kit.

Pentax hasn’t finished the 645 kit yet and should have, plus me personally I feel that the lack of a few features on the 645z make long lenses mostly unusable.

If I were to go any system now for landscape use I would pick most likely Hasselblad as they are very focused on getting the right lenses out, like a 22mm and a few good tele lenses along with their regular primes. Either that or I would go Pentax K1 or Nikon D850, but even then Pentax still has not rounded out the FF lens line and won’t for some time.

I’ve never minded the weight of the 645z system, just the fact I can’t have the lenses I want.

03-05-2018, 02:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

No regrets from me working the Pentax 67 system, despite its humungous weight (16kg) penalty. My format and system is chosen based on practical and print size considerations, with the majority of my prints a bit more than 1 metre across.
But I also use a lot of other formats: 4x5, 6x6, 6x9, 6x17 and multiformat pinholes, and 35mm, etc., but not digital.
03-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I’ve never minded the weight of the 645z system, just the fact I can’t have the lenses I want.
Interesting. I don't think I'm experienced enough to notice the gaps in the lens range. But I do tend to be in the lower range (85mm and less like mentioned above).
03-05-2018, 03:19 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I regret it from the fact that I went Pentax. I’ve had to buy a second FF system from Canon to get what I need to round out a landscape kit.

Pentax hasn’t finished the 645 kit yet and should have, plus me personally I feel that the lack of a few features on the 645z make long lenses mostly unusable.

If I were to go any system now for landscape use I would pick most likely Hasselblad as they are very focused on getting the right lenses out, like a 22mm and a few good tele lenses along with their regular primes. Either that or I would go Pentax K1 or Nikon D850, but even then Pentax still has not rounded out the FF lens line and won’t for some time.

Which additional lenses would you like to see in the Pentax 645 system? I am only a hobbyist, not a professional photographer, but have found an extensive range of lenses to fit my needs. I have acquired A & FA 35mm, A & FA 45mm, A and D FA 55mm, A and FA 75, D FA 90mm macro, A & FA 120 macro, A 150, A and FA 200, and F*300mm. I also find the lens shutter lenses, the 75mm and the 135mm useful. In addition, I have added six Pentax 67 lenses, usable with adapter, including star performers 55mm and the 105mm f 2.4, as well as several excellent Carl Zeiss Jena lenses, the Sonnar 180 and Biotar 120 plus the Pentacon 500mm and Arsat 30mm fisheye. Are you concerned to have more different focal lengths, or simply upgrading to SDM and improved coatings on the existing FA line of lenses?
03-05-2018, 03:27 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Definitely no regrets here, either. I've got about 4 yrs since adding MF(645D, then 645Z) for my landscape work and I am still in awe when I zoom into the files.

I don't want for lenses as my current rig goes from 25mm to 600mm (300+2xTC), though I welcome the future release of a wide prime such as a 21mm.

I also added a pair of Priolite strobes, which enable shutter speeds up to 1/4000th sec for outdoor portraits.

In all, I have found it to be an impressive platform.

Last edited by mikeSF; 03-05-2018 at 03:32 PM.
03-06-2018, 08:10 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, regret isn't the correct word. If I was just shooting art for myself, then I would have no problems with the Pentax MF system, including its lenses, unlike some who are unsatisfied.

But work has now required more use of the backup camera, the K1. It's a little easier to use for installation documentation that I have to do. And since I'm still not stitching (and won't be until my next computer upgrade, maybe this year...), using ultrawides on the K1 helps out in tight spots, which I frequently have to deal with. So, I use both cameras at times. The Z still is the "first string" , though.
03-06-2018, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no regrets on my 645 film/645D system but I still use smaller formats quite a bit too. I go places that are too far/high/hard to carry a big MF kit so compromise is needed.

I wish I had more 645 lenses, especially on the wide end but it's cost and not availability that is limiting me. Instead of spending $3+k on a wide 645 lens, I got a K-1 plus a wide zoom (15-30) which just made better economic sense for me. It's more versatile but of course we generally don't buy MF gear for its versatility.
03-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You mean, give up also shooting 4x5 large format? Yeah, I’d probably regret that.

Rick “maybe not what you meant ” Denney
03-06-2018, 05:03 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote
You mean, give up also shooting 4x5 large format? Yeah, I’d probably regret that.
Rick “maybe not what you meant ” Denney
Touché but 4x5 is large, not medium format. Back in the day, undergrads attending Brooks Institute of Photography were required to have a large format camera. Every spring after graduation, there was always a fire sale of 4x5 and 5x7 Toyos, Horseman, and even Sinars in Santa Barbara. For many, lots of regret....being required to own large format for their course work.

With that said, they learned a ton that someone without yaw, pitch, tilt, swing, elevation controls would know nothing about.