Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Interesting, so, really a QC problem, less tight tolerances. I wonder who was manufacturing it. One of the most notable things about what Sigma has done in the past few years was the upgrade of their testing and QC system in house, from the ground up. They said at the time that the demands of the new cameras were such that it had to be done. Flew under most people's radar.
Indeed, a QC problem, specifically related to the glass in the lens. That front element must have had some issues.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had heard that the front element was being manufactured by a specialty contractor that was no longer able to supply it. Source for that absolutely unconfirmed, and probably Internet FUD.

But most products fail in the market because they cannot be produced for the cost that provides a profit under what price the market will bear. My bet is that at $7500, the 25 would find fewer than 1000 buyers, and maybe fewer than 100.

A 25 specifically designed for the smaller sensor might be cheaper to produce, but the deep flange distance for the 645 will require a more strongly retro focus design.

Wouldn’t the 35 be wide enough for most on the full film frame?

Rick “wondering if lenses are still being made in Vietnam” Denney
03-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote
Wouldn’t the 35 be wide enough for most on the full film frame?
I'm hoping so
03-13-2018, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
It has been several years, but blackcloudbrew (Tim) mounted my DFA 25mm on his 645 film body and reported the full image circle was captured.
I also did this with my D-FA 25mm on a 645Nii and, yes, the image filled the whole 645 frame with no vignetting. The D-FA is seriously wide on the 645N!!

03-13-2018, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It has been several years, but blackcloudbrew (Tim) mounted my DFA 25mm on his 645 film body and reported the full image circle was captured.
I can reach out to him for more details if you like.
Yep, that's true. Can't recall the images now but it worked just fine on my 645n.
03-13-2018, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can reach out to him for more details if you like.
Sorry for any ambiguity, Mike. I meant can anyone confirm with certainty that the only difference between the DFA and DA versions is the hood and that the DA version would cover full frame 645 if the hood were trimmed? I did not doubt that the DFA version covers full frame 645.
03-13-2018, 11:54 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Sorry for any ambiguity, Mike. I meant ...
ah gotcha. I'll quit posting in here. lol. be well.

03-14-2018, 04:13 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I’d love to pick up a 25 as there is a few of them around. I’m just so afraid of it A: dying or breaking and B: the system going nowhere and wasting more money.
03-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I’d love to pick up a 25 as there is a few of them around. I’m just so afraid of it A: dying or breaking and B: the system going nowhere and wasting more money.
irrational fears, IMO.
03-14-2018, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

irrational fears, IMO.
It doesn't ultimately matter in this case---this owner should sell off as the dissatisfaction has set in so deeply.
03-15-2018, 03:17 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
It doesn't ultimately matter in this case---this owner should sell off as the dissatisfaction has set in so deeply.
Hold on a sec. Just because you’re in awe doesn’t mean I have to be.

So let’s break it down. The 25mm lens is:

1: rare and only available used
2: not able to be repaired easily in my country.... at all
3: known to be very fickle and just fall apart.
4: expensive
5: doesn’t take filters easily
6: part of a system of which we have no clear plans of where it’s going. DA?? DFA?? Mirrorless??

I absolutely love my 645z, but at the same time it could be well improved. I have taken my best images with it.

Why is it that only glowingly positive discussion and pats on the back are allowed here?
03-15-2018, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Hold on a sec. Just because you’re in awe doesn’t mean I have to be.
I'm not in awe of my equipment---which is very good and has helped me enormously, but hardly perfect---or Pentax / Ricoh (and other corporations, truth be told) whom I think are really rather bone-headed on the marketing and support side of things. Iknow that well, as one of my best and oldest friends is an independent rep for them. Looking at the entirety of my comments shows that.
QuoteQuote:
I absolutely love my 645z, but at the same time it could be well improved. I have taken my best images with it.
Interesting. That's maybe the second time I've seen you post such a sentiment, against all the other postings.

QuoteQuote:
Why is it that only glowingly positive discussion and pats on the back are allowed here?
They aren't. You'll find criticism (including mine) aplenty on these forums. But here the difference is an unending/unrelenting litany of complaint from you that transforms from a quantitative index of known issues stated a few times to a qualitative beating of the proverbial dead horse almost incessantly to the point of rudeness. Furthermore: the Z came out 4 years ago this spring. In 2014 it was already quite clear what sort of company Pentax was, and the troubles they had, and the deficiencies in the products and product line-up. But it seems that you bought into the company expecting it to be something it was not. That's hardly the fault of Pentax. Let me be clear: you've made your point many, many times now. We know how you feel pretty clearly. Enough, already.

And I was in no way being facetious above. Such intense dissatisfaction and angst with the maker of your gear and its future is an unnecessary thorn in your side. Most likely you are an excellent photographer who could undoubtedly make excellent work with another company's products. Let Pentax go down the tubes, so what? You can migrate over to another maker now, or by the time Pentax goes under migrate over to what will be by that time to other incredible imaging devices---well, they're incredible at this very moment.
03-15-2018, 05:54 AM   #28

I have the 25mm. It's not a lens I've used a lot mainly down to my style of photography. I find the filter system is fine for a polar and indeed I've been advised the Format Hitech largest filter system works well on it although not a cheap option. For me handling is secure, it feels robust and gives a great angle of view, I just need more subjects for it.
03-15-2018, 06:45 AM   #29

I was told directly by Ricoh/Pentax UK that the reason for stopping production was indeed the manufacturer of one of the internals going out of business, they didn't know why they couldn't carry on and make the part themselves, but presumably it was down to economic reasons.
03-15-2018, 07:41 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I love the 645Z but the lack of a really wide lens is a serious shortcoming; the 28-45mm is not wide enough for some of my uses and its cost, weight and size are real liabilities.
Additionally, I wonder how is it that Fuji can supply a 23mm at half the price of the discontinued Pentax 25mm?
I don't know the answer to Ed's question, but I noted that the D FA 25mm was listed at 1070g (Ricoh) and the DA 25mm is listed at 1040g (B&H). If the only difference in the lenses is a bigger hood and baffling for the DA version,it should be heavier, not lighter, than the D FA.