Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2018, 07:36 AM   #1

Pentax 67 shift lens with adapter to 645Z

Has anybody ever used a Pentax 75mm 67 shift lens with an adapter on a 645Z camera? I didn't know if there would be image cutoff because of the adapter itself on the image circle. It looks like I can get reasonably priced 67 TS lenses and am perfectly happy to use them manually. I usually use a spot meter anyways.

03-13-2018, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve played with it and didn’t notice any cutoff on a 645NII. I can look more closely to be sure when I get back in town.

The Arsat 55mm PCS lens likewise does not cut off even at full shift, using an adapter to fit it to a Pentax.

Rick “thinking the Arsat is a better focal length, better mechanically, and just as good optically” Denney
03-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote
I’ve played with it and didn’t notice any cutoff on a 645NII. I can look more closely to be sure when I get back in town.

The Arsat 55mm PCS lens likewise does not cut off even at full shift, using an adapter to fit it to a Pentax.

Rick “thinking the Arsat is a better focal length, better mechanically, and just as good optically” Denney
55mm? Is this correct or a typo?

I see the existence of this is noted at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/182276-pentax-me...ft-lenses.html, but is not shown at araxphoto's site.

More exactly, it is not shown in their list of available lenses, but the underlying data can be found by an external search. Price is listed as N/A, so they must have run out of Kiev Arsenal parts.

Last edited by kaseki; 03-13-2018 at 02:22 PM. Reason: more info
03-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm just starting to play around with a P67 45mm on a Zoerk Pro Shift adapter. Nice. The P67 55mm (late version) is supposed to be sharper than the 45mm but I was keen to go below the 50mm barrier.

I used to have an Arsat 55mm PCS (in Pentax mount) but I found that it was quite soft. The Mamiya 50mm is WAY sharper. To my shame, I sold an extremely rare Mamiya 50mm lens IN PENTAX MOUNT!!

I'm wondering how a P67 35mm fish eye lens would shift on my Zoerk!

03-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
55mm? Is this correct or a typo?

I see the existence of this is noted at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/182276-pentax-me...ft-lenses.html, but is not shown at araxphoto's site.

More exactly, it is not shown in their list of available lenses, but the underlying data can be found by an external search. Price is listed as N/A, so they must have run out of Kiev Arsenal parts.

You probably already found the description:

http://www.araxfoto.com/lenses/arsat-55-shift/

Unlike the 45 and 65 lenses, the 55 was purpose-built to be a shift lens. It came out very late (90’s) and is a fairly modern design, by the standards of that factory. Optics are excellent, and the shift mechanism works more smoothly than my Pentax shift lens. It has a preset aperture with a cable-release socket to allow stopping down with a double release.

Arsenal has been closed for about 15 years, so these have to be found on the secondary market. I bought mine from Arax at least ten years ago—it was my last lens in the P6 mount.

Rick “who also has a Hartblei 45mm PCS lens” Denney
03-14-2018, 12:00 AM   #6

You probably already found the description:

Arax Photo | Lenses | MC ARSAT PCS 4.5/55 Shift Medium Format Lens.

Unlike the 45 and 65 lenses, the 55 was purpose-built to be a shift lens. It came out very late (90’s) and is a fairly modern design, by the standards of that factory. Optics are excellent, and the shift mechanism works more smoothly than my Pentax shift lens. It has a preset aperture with a cable-release socket to allow stopping down with a double release.

Arsenal has been closed for about 15 years, so these have to be found on the secondary market. I bought mine from Arax at least ten years ago—it was my last lens in the P6 mount.

Rick “who also has a Hartblei 45mm PCS lens” Denney
Hi Rick - just noticed you have the Hartblei 45mm...I have one too (marked 'Digital' on the lens front).....how does it compare for image quality vs the Arsat 55mm shift? Regards, Ian (in UK - using the 645Z)
03-14-2018, 04:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The cutoff (darkening) fades in at about 10mm shift on the Z when using the 67-75mm on a Pentax adapter.

Bob
03-14-2018, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BostonUKshooter Quote
Hi Rick - just noticed you have the Hartblei 45mm...I have one too (marked 'Digital' on the lens front).....how does it compare for image quality vs the Arsat 55mm shift? Regards, Ian (in UK - using the 645Z)

It depends on the example, but good 45’s can be quite decent in the center. The 55’s are more rare and their consistency is not known. My 55 was about the same as my (very good) 45 Hartblei PCS in a big MTF test that a group of us Kiev collectors conducted maybe a decade back. I’ll know more when I get the Z (waiting on my birthday), and can do better tests more easily.

http://www.rickdenney.com/mother_lens_test.htm

The center performance of the 45 was apparent in this test, where I used a tilting adapter on a Canon to turn the shift lens into a tilt/shift lens.

http://www.rickdenney.com/tilt_shift.htm

Rick “old stuff” Denney

03-14-2018, 01:47 PM   #9

It depends on the example, but good 45’s can be quite decent in the center. The 55’s are more rare and their consistency is not known. My 55 was about the same as my (very good) 45 Hartblei PCS in a big MTF test that a group of us Kiev collectors conducted maybe a decade back. I’ll know more when I get the Z (waiting on my birthday), and can do better tests more easily.

Kiev Cameras

The center performance of the 45 was apparent in this test, where I used a tilting adapter on a Canon to turn the shift lens into a tilt/shift lens.

Kiev Cameras

Rick “old stuff” Denney
Thanks Rick - all understood - would be interesting to see your test results when you get the 645Z!
I have the 25mm, 55mm and 90mm DFA lenses for the Z , and they give astounding images.....also the 300mm ED M* 67 lens (+ Fotodiox adapter) does an amazing job for an 'old' lens.
Regards, Ian
03-14-2018, 08:03 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob L Quote
The cutoff (darkening) fades in at about 10mm shift on the Z when using the 67-75mm on a Pentax adapter.

Bob
Thanks!,
Thats kind of what I expected.