Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2018, 08:30 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bumping this now that I’ve had a chance to go out and shoot with the 6x7 a bit. For those with a 6x7 variant and a 645(n/ii), what conditions make you pick the 645 vs 67 camera/format? The 645n and four lenses I have aren’t exactly a small kit for traveling. Yes, lighter, but still bulky. Just trying to think through if a shot is expected to be good enough for MF film, why would one choose 6x4.5 if 6x7 is available?

04-29-2018, 08:52 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
Bumping this now that I’ve had a chance to go out and shoot with the 6x7 a bit. For those with a 6x7 variant and a 645(n/ii), what conditions make you pick the 645 vs 67 camera/format? The 645n and four lenses I have aren’t exactly a small kit for traveling. Yes, lighter, but still bulky. Just trying to think through if a shot is expected to be good enough for MF film, why would one choose 6x4.5 if 6x7 is available?

I used the NII for commercial work—portraits, weddings where they want film, etc. I do very little of that work these days and it’s been I while since I ran film through the 645.

The 67 (and larger) is for personal work, most landscapes where I have time to take as long as I want. The 67 is such a beautiful machine—I just enjoy using it.

Rick “it’s about the quality of the process as much as the quality of the images” Denney
04-29-2018, 09:21 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote
Rick “it’s about the quality of the process as much as the quality of the images” Denney
Absolutely...I’m not a huge fan of the motorized winders, their sound or noise and auto rewind. I like that the versions prior to the 67ii don’t have LCD screens. I’m not a fan of having stuff just for the sake of having it or collection. My 645n and four lenses are worth a bit of change and if I’m not using it, someone else will and I can use those dollars elsewhere.
04-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
I don't have a P645, but do have a Mamiya 645 Pro with winder & AE prism (effectively the same thing without AF - perhaps a bit bulkier). For me, a motorised 645 sits in a different place to a 6x7 - faster & easier to shoot, more frames per roll and better suited to action subjects or where you'd like to use long lenses. The lenses are scarcely bigger than 35mm, and apart from fewer and more expensive zooms, telephoto lenses don't loose their coverage as quickly as 6x7.

I used to shoot aircraft/air shows with a 210/4 lens and a 2x teleconverter (longer lenses then were really expensive) - where I used to use an xx-300mm zoom on 35mm, I was using 400 reasonably comfortably on 645 (I'd have needed 600 on 6x7 - totally impractical). I've thought about selling it several times, but it's always redeemed itself by being so useful - if I had a P645 system today, there's no way I'd sell it given the prospects of a 645D or Z somewhere along the line.

My dilemma with 6x7 is that the lenses are much bulkier (physically larger diameter, larger hoods & filters etc), a two lens kit is hard to cover my needs, a three lens kit becomes bulky & heavy - at this point there's always the thought that you're so bulky and heavy you need a bigger bag and a fourth lens will just about fit... and is only 'slightly' heavier...

With 645 the kit is easier but you're wondering whether the format will do justice to your application, and why leave the 6x7 at home...

04-30-2018, 03:57 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
I don't have a P645, but do have a Mamiya 645 Pro with winder & AE prism (effectively the same thing without AF - perhaps a bit bulkier). For me, a motorised 645 sits in a different place to a 6x7 - faster & easier to shoot, more frames per roll and better suited to action subjects or where you'd like to use long lenses. The lenses are scarcely bigger than 35mm, and apart from fewer and more expensive zooms, telephoto lenses don't loose their coverage as quickly as 6x7.

I used to shoot aircraft/air shows with a 210/4 lens and a 2x teleconverter (longer lenses then were really expensive) - where I used to use an xx-300mm zoom on 35mm, I was using 400 reasonably comfortably on 645 (I'd have needed 600 on 6x7 - totally impractical). I've thought about selling it several times, but it's always redeemed itself by being so useful - if I had a P645 system today, there's no way I'd sell it given the prospects of a 645D or Z somewhere along the line.

My dilemma with 6x7 is that the lenses are much bulkier (physically larger diameter, larger hoods & filters etc), a two lens kit is hard to cover my needs, a three lens kit becomes bulky & heavy - at this point there's always the thought that you're so bulky and heavy you need a bigger bag and a fourth lens will just about fit... and is only 'slightly' heavier...

With 645 the kit is easier but you're wondering whether the format will do justice to your application, and why leave the 6x7 at home...
This is the line. I haven’t found myself willing to use medium format as a walk-around medium. I use it for planned photography events/subjects. If I have intentions of framing it, it goes on MF. All of my 645 lenses are manual focus, sonthere isn’t a difference in features there. I tend to leave lenses home I know I won’t need, rather than haul everything I own. Traveling somewhere away from home for vacation is where things get tricky on bringing everything.
05-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #36
Pentaxian

645 w/45-85 zoom for family vacations, 6x7 for serious photography
05-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
645 w/45-85 zoom for family vacations
I agree - when travelling light just take the P&S