Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2018, 09:08 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a shorter but wide at the back leather strap on Pentax lugs for my 67s. I leave it on for no other reason than walking about taking shots when I am taking shots, and just handling the camera. I leave it draped on my forearm when shooting/handing ---- The 67 is heavy, it'll slip someday. I've only shot 67 for about 4 or 5 years and the strap has prevented at least 2 falls onto rocks and pavement, caught by the strap around my forearm.

Whether or not you carry a camera in the open in a dense population area isn't directly reciprocal to whether you own and use a strap. (Though I can't imagine there are more than a few out there that choose 67 for walkabout travel in Rio or Jakarta. )

When I place the 67 on tripod I drape/loop the open end of the strap around the base of the center-column so that it isn't just dangling. Never been a problem. YMMW.

04-22-2018, 04:22 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I have a shorter but wide at the back leather strap on Pentax lugs for my 67s. I leave it on for no other reason than walking about taking shots when I am taking shots, and just handling the camera. I leave it draped on my forearm when shooting/handing ---- The 67 is heavy, it'll slip someday. I've only shot 67 for about 4 or 5 years and the strap has prevented at least 2 falls onto rocks and pavement, caught by the strap around my forearm. .
You're right, the weight, bulk and relatively smooth lines of the 6x7 & 67 mean that one day you're likely to let it slip accidentally when distracted by something. Similarly I always check the strap lugs are tight when taking in out of the bag (and sometimes use two pairs of them on one strap).

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
When I place the 67 on tripod I drape/loop the open end of the strap around the base of the center-column so that it isn't just dangling. Never been a problem. YMMW.
I have a UniLoc system tripod (similar to the Benbo) - it has a single bolt that tightens all three legs and the centre column. It's very easy to let go without tightening the bolt sufficiently or arrange it where the camera is out of balance. I always keep hold of the strap until I'm happy it's stable.
04-22-2018, 08:07 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I usually (well, I've shot one whole roll with the camera!) have the camera hanging from my neck on its strap while I'm setting up the tripod. Then I mount the camera to the tripod, adjust, take the picture, dismount, and break down the tripod all while the strap is still around my neck. I do have to keep the strap longish for that to work.

(I'm waiting for developing before I shoot another roll just to ensure that the exposure looks correct and that there are no light leaks.)