Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2018, 06:19 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
Well, I pulled the trigger on a 67 with a 55mm/3.5 lens. So in a few weeks, I’ll be able to shoot some 6x7. The 55mm will probably be a good starting lens, I’ll probably want a standard lens (90mm or 105mm) and a short telephoto in the 135-150mm range.

Part of me was really tempted by a minimalist SLR like the Bronica ETRS and Mamiya 645 Pro, but that route tempts me if it’s stripped down to lens, body, back, and waist level finder. The prism finder and grip that these are usually set up with is less interesting to me. I will say that I had a moment of weakness and looked at the Hasselblad 500 C/M. At the upper end of my limit I could get a basic body, 80/2.8, and film back. I’m less interested in 6x6, but I could crop, or get an A16 back for 6x4.5, but the big limitation was that lenses were a small fortune. I know they’re Zeiss, but I don’t know if the lenses are genuinely that nice, or if the prices are somewhat inflated due to the name.

I also have to say that some of the older Bronicas are just very pretty cameras—especially the S2A and EC. Thanks everyone for the help. I’m now working on the list of things I want for my 67...
Interesting discussion. I too have been considering returning to some film use. Having had a darkroom for many years and various film formats I am now fully digital. Don't get me wrong, the K1 and 645Z are great, but I somehow am missing the darkroom. While I realize that this system is out of your specified price range, it is a camera that I had the opportunity to try out some years ago. I'm on the hunt for a bargain There are several old good reviews of the system.

Top Mint Bronica RF645 Camera with RF 45mm 65mm 100mm 3 Lenses from Japan 733 | eBay

04-09-2018, 09:51 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When reading up on the Bronica ETRS and others, I did come across the RF645, and they look quite nice. The one thing that bothers me about all the 645 rangefinders is that since they run the roll horizontally, they default to portrait orientation. Since I'm a 95% landscape orientation shooter, I would need to operate it awkwardly. I had the same issue with the Fuji GF645. If they had some kind of grip and shutter release along the bottom, I might feel differently.

For the most part Bronica seems to have been a company with some really interesting designs. I need to play with my 67 for a while, but I'd love to own a S2A or an EC, just because they're so darn pretty if you get them with in chrome:

04-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When reading up on the Bronica ETRS and others, I did come across the RF645, and they look quite nice. The one thing that bothers me about all the 645 rangefinders is that since they run the roll horizontally, they default to portrait orientation. Since I'm a 95% landscape orientation shooter, I would need to operate it awkwardly. I had the same issue with the Fuji GF645. If they had some kind of grip and shutter release along the bottom, I might feel differently.

For the most part Bronica seems to have been a company with some really interesting designs. I need to play with my 67 for a while, but I'd love to own a S2A or an EC, just because they're so darn pretty if you get them with in chrome:
I owned several Bronica SQAi cameras during my film days and way too many lenses, including the Schneider 140-280 Variogon. Miss that lens. Never had a problem with them and the images were always satisfactory. Of course those were square format but I owned the 645 and 135 backs also. They were for studio use.

I believe that I could adjust to the portrait mode of the 645 rangefinder. It may be interesting to use the format for multi shot panorama landscape photos. The size and ergonomics are what have me interested. Just need to keep using the Z

regards, Ray
04-09-2018, 02:29 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, I pulled the trigger on a 67 with a 55mm/3.5 lens. So in a few weeks, I’ll be able to shoot some 6x7. The 55mm will probably be a good starting lens, I’ll probably want a standard lens (90mm or 105mm) and a short telephoto in the 135-150mm range.
Not that I'm biased, but that sounds like a good decision. It took me a long time and several diversions before I reached 6x7, I wished I'd gone straight to it (but the costs at the time were much higher than now).

Part of me was really tempted by a minimalist SLR like the Bronica ETRS and Mamiya 645 Pro, but that route tempts me if it’s stripped down to lens, body, back, and waist level finder. The prism finder and grip that these are usually set up with is less interesting to me. I will say that I had a moment of weakness and looked at the Hasselblad 500 C/M. At the upper end of my limit I could get a basic body, 80/2.8, and film back. I’m less interested in 6x6, but I could crop, or get an A16 back for 6x4.5, but the big limitation was that lenses were a small fortune. I know they’re Zeiss, but I don’t know if the lenses are genuinely that nice, or if the prices are somewhat inflated due to the name.
A basic SLR with WLF works best as a 6x6 (even if you use a 645 back), you can't shoot 645 in portrait at all with a WLF. Hasselblad are no doubt fine cameras, but the price of lenses (and the risk they have a faulty shutter),

I also have to say that some of the older Bronicas are just very pretty cameras—especially the S2A and EC. Thanks everyone for the help. I’m now working on the list of things I want for my 67...
The S2A is a beautiful camera (I have one) but they don't always look quite as pretty in the flesh decades later.

John.

04-09-2018, 02:46 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
A basic SLR with WLF works best as a 6x6 (even if you use a 645 back), you can't shoot 645 in portrait at all with a WLF. Hasselblad are no doubt fine cameras, but the price of lenses (and the risk they have a faulty shutter),
That was what held me back from a Hasselblad. There was a very nice one, here in NM that went for $800 yesterday with 2 backs and a 60/5.6 (and a very clever light meter built into the winding knob.) I couldn't bring myself to do it because with the 67, most lenses could be had for less than $500, but with the Hasselblad, almost none of lenses could be had for less than $500.

We'll I'm looking forward to my 67. I ordered some 120 from B&H to start with and a strap to lug it around. I think the first real accessory is going to be a right hand grip from the guy that makes them in Thailand. I'm curious how my light tripod will handle the weight. I have a very heavy tripod as well (from my filmmaking and videography days) that won't bat an eye at 6lbs, but I think my little 3lb tripod may have some issues with a 6lb camera.

EDIT: By the way, here is the picture from the auction:

04-09-2018, 02:53 PM   #51
Veteran Member

We'll I'm looking forward to my 67. I ordered some 120 from B&H to start with and a strap to lug it around. I think the first real accessory is going to be a right hand grip from the guy that makes them in Thailand. I'm curious how my light tripod will handle the weight. I have a very heavy tripod as well (from my filmmaking and videography days) that won't bat an eye at 6lbs, but I think my little 3lb tripod may have some issues with a 6lb camera.
I'd try the camera without it first, I find it handles well without one, I'm not sure if the position of the shutter release & wind-on lever would fall as easily with one. The left-hand grip gets in my way when shooting - it makes a good carry-handle though.

EDIT: By the way, here is the picture from the auction:
Looks in good condition, strap lugs are a bonus - they're very hard to find, at least in the UK.
04-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks in good condition, strap lugs are a bonus - they're very hard to find, at least in the UK.
They're easy to find on eBay........if you don't mind paying $40 for a pair of them (!??!?)

04-10-2018, 12:54 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take a look at Optech system - they have strap lugs for Bronica, Mamiya, LX, and 6x7. Pair of brand new lugs (without strap) costs around 10 GBP.
04-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
Take a look at Optech system - they have strap lugs for Bronica, Mamiya, LX, and 6x7. Pair of brand new lugs (without strap) costs around 10 GBP.
Thanks I didn't find just the OPTECH lugs. I have the OPTECH strap with the 'type B' ends, but I prefer the Pentax lugs. I don't like the plastic snap buckles on the OPTECH strap with the weight of the 6x7, so zip-tied them together (I don't need to unclip them). I have obtained Pentax lugs from Japan (not cheap though).
04-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Sorry I didn't respond sooner when you asked about the Fuji 645, but I also shoot 95% landscape mode, and when I use the Fuji, I shoot a lot more portrait mode shots. Do you shoot landscape 95% intentionally, or is it more that way because of the default orientation of the camera? Though I would be able to justify my landscape shooting, I assume that it is at least partly influenced by my default camera orientation with a D/SLR.

I feel like a WLF would be a big issue for me, as it is kind of annoying when I have used cameras like that, but on the other hand I would perhaps get used to it after using it for a while.
04-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Do you shoot landscape 95% intentionally, or is it more that way because of the default orientation of the camera?
Honestly, I don't know. I sure that the default of every camera I've owned has taken its toll on my expectation, but I also think that landscape is more useful for the type of pictures I look for. I could see owning a portrait camera like the Fuji GA645 or Mamiya RF645 once I'm well invested in medium format and am looking for a camera to shake things up. I may consider that down the road but for now, I need something that caters to my default aesthetic.

QuoteQuote:
I feel like a WLF would be a big issue for me, as it is kind of annoying when I have used cameras like that, but on the other hand I would perhaps get used to it after using it for a while.
I guess the benefit of 6x6 is you don't have to choose. I do totally get that a waist level finder is going to be borderline useless held in portrait mode, even on a tripod it doesn't sound very usable. What I like about the WLF is it feels different. Instead of peeping at the scene through a periscope, you are simply looking at an object (the ground glass) a few feet away that looks like your photo. Granted, right now the only way I've done that is removing the prism from my Nikon F4 which is a little small, but it makes my brain approach the scene differently.

I got lucky and was able to snag a comparatively cheap collapsible WLF for the 67 from KEH. The camera I bought has just the TTL prism, and looking on ebay the collapsible WLF is comparatively uncommon--and most are listed for over $200 when you account for shipping. Then yesterday one popped up on KEH for $115 shipped. It still seems a lot for a small sunshade and a magnifying glass, but I'm glad the price was significantly better than eBay. So I grabbed that quickly and a last generation 200/4 lens that was also pretty cheap (again compared to eBay.) So for my initial kit, I still need a standard--90/2.8 or 105/2.4--and I'll be set for a while.

Geof

Last edited by abruzzi; 04-10-2018 at 02:37 PM.
04-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #57
Veteran Member

I guess the benefit of 6x6 is you don't have to choose. I do totally get that a waist level finder is going to be borderline useless held in portrait mode, even on a tripod it doesn't sound very usable.
If the camera is perfectly vertical and level, you then have to frame it by looking at 90 degrees to the lens (if the camera is pointing North, you have to stand to the East). if it's not vertical and level, you can take ages trying to orientate it correctly. The only 6x6 with a 'rotating' 645 back (you can take it off and turn it 90 degrees) is the Rollei 6xxx series, but they rely on bespoke NiCd batteries that are likely to be exhausted by now.
04-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #58
Veteran Member

The native Pentax strap lugs may look snazzy, but they rust very easily and abraid against the top panel surface they are in contact with. The OpTech strap lugs do not have these problems as a plastic slip-lock tab is employed. Better still, the OpTech strap can be "truncated" (the large shoulder strap part removed) so that you have just a 'shortie' strap/handle for hauling up the camera onto the tripod. The quick release buckle though should be locked closed with a cable tie to prevent accidental opening when it the strap is used this way.
04-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I looks like you could buy the connectors with the short strap and remove the strap and thread your own strap through. The limitation would just be if strap you have is the same width and approximate thickness. I know their design is to use their straps, but I don't trust those plastic quick release clips. I've had far too many break on me. I prefer "never release" over "quick release."
04-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #60
Veteran Member

I looks like you could buy the connectors with the short strap and remove the strap and thread your own strap through. The limitation would just be if strap you have is the same width and approximate thickness. I know their design is to use their straps, but I don't trust those plastic quick release clips. I've had far too many break on me. I prefer "never release" over "quick release."
In my (very long) experience, a shoulder strap (and there are some ridiculously complex and blinged-up designs out there) is a major risk and hindrance in tripod-based camera work, additional to the risk of theft: most good advice today says not to sling a camera on your shoulder in a populated place, and the news recently here has a couple of good examples why! Straps are especially a nuisance in windy conditions with the stray flailing wildly and prone to catching on something and bringing the whole caboodle down to the ground. Forget about any preconceived notions of "convenience", "security" or "safety" and minimise,minimise, minimise.

The OpTech strap buckles are very robust; I have had issues with such things as supposedly robust QR buckles in much more serious applications (skydiving, rockclimbing, to name but two), but none whatsoever with OpTech's product, or for that matter, those from LowePro.