Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2018, 07:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Vertical grip

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Is it just me? I think that I am spoiled. I own K5, K3, K1, all with the vertical grip. They all are so convenient to change orientation with. First it was the 645D and now there is the 645Z. Great cameras, but I sure do miss a vertical grip when I need portrait orientation. Anyone else miss that? Has anyone seen a solution?

Ray

04-06-2018, 04:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There are no contacts on the body to connect one.
04-06-2018, 07:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
There are no contacts on the body to connect one.
Yes, I realize that. I am not interested in a battery equipped grip or one that can control camera functions. I am interested in camera stability during hand held vertical situations. The grip could be hollow ideally, and as a bonus, have a button on top that could trip the shutter. The camera remote socket is at the right of the camera and would be able to be incorporated. Sounds as though it may be time to design my own? Three D printing comes to mind.

Regards, Ray
04-06-2018, 07:33 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Cox Quote
Yes, I realize that. I am not interested in a battery equipped grip or one that can control camera functions. I am interested in camera stability during hand held vertical situations. The grip could be hollow ideally, and as a bonus, have a button on top that could trip the shutter. The camera remote socket is at the right of the camera and would be able to be incorporated. Sounds as though it may be time to design my own? Three D printing comes to mind.

Regards, Ray
Yes, I have wound up doing a lot of vertical format shooting, and indeed after an hour or so (sometimes one handed as I hold a wired flash out with my other arm) it can get quite tiring. Thanks for starting this thread, because you made me realize that I can just make my own. The only issue would be the shutter release, but I can rig a wired one. Off to the wood-shop! 3-D printing isn't a bad idea, to generate a model to then use in casting...but hand-making something in wood that is then used with a CNC tool to generate copies might be better than casting. Already got the gears turning in my head...

04-06-2018, 08:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Yes, I have wound up doing a lot of vertical format shooting, and indeed after an hour or so (sometimes one handed as I hold a wired flash out with my other arm) it can get quite tiring. Thanks for starting this thread, because you made me realize that I can just make my own. The only issue would be the shutter release, but I can rig a wired one. Off to the wood-shop! 3-D printing isn't a bad idea, to generate a model to then use in casting...but hand-making something in wood that is then used with a CNC tool to generate copies might be better than casting. Already got the gears turning in my head...
So are mine! Let's see how this shapes up ( no pun intended ).

Regards< Ray
04-06-2018, 08:33 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm going to first look hard at the old 6x7 grip. Not that it will work, but as a starting point. Looking just now, The biggest thing for me would be to get the positioning correct such that I could still access the back right hand buttons with my thumb. That's also going to mean a provision for a hand strap connection (I already am using a Peak Design). I could possibly use my left hand for the shutter release and front dial operation.

The other thing I want is for it to be quick-release. I have the RRS plates on both mounting sockets.

Last edited by texandrews; 04-06-2018 at 08:47 AM.
04-06-2018, 09:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote

The other thing I want is for it to be quick-release. I have the RRS plates on both mounting sockets.

Bingo. A left-handed grip on the left-side plate could be a right-handed grip for vertical use on the bottom plate.

For that flash scenario, though, I’m thinking a stroboframe with a lever-operated Arca clamp for quickness.

How about this: a typical L-shaped handle. Attached to the bottom plate, it’s a left-hand grip. Reversed back to front and attached on the side, it becomes a right-hand grip for vertical. Or a left-hand grip for vertical if it clears the hot-shoe attachment. It would need to be symmetrical fore and aft to be reversible.

Rick “liking the possibilities” Denney

04-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I mainly use my 645D on a tripod, so having the vertical grip isn't a huge need for me. However, with that said, if Pentax had designed an external vertical grip for it, I'd get one. Personally, I feel that for the price, the vertical grip should have built into the body in the first place.

No vertical grip and the dark frame after a shot longer than 30 sec are really the only complaints I have with the camera.
04-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote
Bingo. A left-handed grip on the left-side plate could be a right-handed grip for vertical use on the bottom plate.

For that flash scenario, though, I’m thinking a stroboframe with a lever-operated Arca clamp for quickness.

How about this: a typical L-shaped handle. Attached to the bottom plate, it’s a left-hand grip. Reversed back to front and attached on the side, it becomes a right-hand grip for vertical. Or a left-hand grip for vertical if it clears the hot-shoe attachment. It would need to be symmetrical fore and aft to be reversible.

Rick “liking the possibilities” Denney
Hmmm ... Good idea. This piece may make a good starting point. Two base plates would allow attachment to both tripod sockets to eliminate bracket rotation. Grip could be slipped on and off?

3 Legged Thing QR11-LG Universal L-Bracket - Slate (Grey) 2DAY SHIP | eBay
04-13-2018, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Verical Grip for 645D

Hi Ray

How about the rig I use which is also a flash cold shoe. Even more elegant would be to attach a QR clamp to the back side of a lovely 6x7 wood handled grip.

Murray
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-15-2018, 04:57 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice adaptation.

QuoteOriginally posted by oneill Quote
Hi Ray

How about the rig I use which is also a flash cold shoe. Even more elegant would be to attach a QR clamp to the back side of a lovely 6x7 wood handled grip.

Murray
Now that is a nice adaptation of parts to solve the problem. Can you list the source of the major parts? (I would use a Manfrotto 200 PL compatible QR adapter, but otherwise the hand grip and extension plate seem quite convenient.)

Thanks
04-15-2018, 11:14 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some research reveals that the handle and extension piece seem to have been made by (more likely distributed by) Samigon, a low cost lens and filter source better known 50 years ago. A similar grip assembly sold by Vivitar may be seen in eBay listings and may be adaptable for this purpose.
04-18-2018, 04:04 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
Some research reveals that the handle and extension piece seem to have been made by (more likely distributed by) Samigon, a low cost lens and filter source better known 50 years ago. A similar grip assembly sold by Vivitar may be seen in eBay listings and may be adaptable for this purpose.
I was able to snag a Samigon; here is a version using a Manfrotto 323 mount that adapts to a Manfrotto 200PL adapter.

Maximum offset (grip center to mount center) is 7 inches. The image is showing about an inch less.
Attached Images

04-18-2018, 06:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Hey, No affiliation with them , but some cool stuff that could certainly be used to make the sort of thing you are wanting, And, pretty sure those wooden handles would make it easy to hollow out and fit in a release button.

camvate | eBay
04-18-2018, 09:16 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Hey, No affiliation with them , but some cool stuff that could certainly be used to make the sort of thing you are wanting, And, pretty sure those wooden handles would make it easy to hollow out and fit in a release button.

camvate | eBay
Thanks cmohr. There are some interesting pieces there. Still working on it! I am leaning toward "3 Legged Thing" parts at the moment. I am hoping to incorporate an electronic release.