Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2018, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #16

Original Poster
Thanks!

I want to thank everybody for their responses to my 645 question! it's giving me something to think about.

Just so you know...I don't mind just using film instead of digital and in one format only. There will be no decisions to make about what camera or format to bring for a shoot. I'm a recently retired wire (AP) photographer with 30 years working experience as a photojournalist. We always used 35mm film or now digital for everything because of speed and convenience. It's what we had to use. I sort like showing down and not wanting to get the shots and get out to move the images for the wire.

I have four pro Nikon digital cameras + manual Nikon 35mm with lenses and 6 AF different lenses, plus a working 8x10 camera and a 4x5 camera in drawers or cases in my office. I've sold some of the gear off because I wasn't using it anymore. I still have a bunch of studio strobes and other stuff too. I'm trying to it get down to one format and clean up some my photographic gear. You know less is more!

Thanks again!

Last edited by vwbus1967; 04-18-2018 at 08:31 AM. Reason: grammer
04-20-2018, 09:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't shoot as much as I'd like (too much going on at the moment), as such I prefer 6x7 - fewer exposures per roll isn't something that I'm bothered about (either from cost or convenience point of view). When I bought the Mamiya 645 I was shooting a lot more and the cost/convenience of 645 was an important part of that decision. As were smaller/lighter/faster longer lenses which are also more effective on the 645 format (I used it for airshows). The convenience of a decent grip & power winder (even only 1 fps) is also a big improvement compared to a traditional MF box-body and wind-crank.

If I was shooting as much as I did, I'd probably prefer a 645, I'd be quite happy with it being my only format (apart from when travelling for holidays and can't justify the bulk).