Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I went through my existing bags, and for the moment, the best fit I have is a Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home, however it can hold the camera with 55/3.5 attached and a 200/4 stuffed vertically and protected by a divider. A third lens is out of the question. I’m considering looking for a used 7 Million Dollar Home to see if it will take a third lens. The 8 Million is a different design—much deeper, but not much bigger around. I really like the Crumpler bags in design and look.

04-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
I went through my existing bags, and for the moment, the best fit I have is a Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home, however it can hold the camera with 55/3.5 attached and a 200/4 stuffed vertically and protected by a divider. A third lens is out of the question. I’m considering looking for a used 7 Million Dollar Home to see if it will take a third lens. The 8 Million is a different design—much deeper, but not much bigger around. I really like the Crumpler bags in design and look.
Never handled one of those. They look nice and very non-camera bag-ish.
04-21-2018, 11:24 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
If you you don't use it much you could conceivably cut off the sling strap, making it much more "stuffable".
Too much bag to be a stuff-able option. I like the idea of narrowing it down to a body (preferably with a lens attached and one more lens.

I adore my 67 rigs, but if I'm honest, I'd never take them on travel that involved walking/backpacking as I've done in the past. Even the K-7 with M50/1.4 that I had along with me on my 1.5 year journey a while back irritated me now and then due to the weight/bulk (though I'm glad I had it along overall definitely but had I taken two other lenses with me, I'd have shipped them back home within a month or two, no doubt in my mind). I also had GR Digital III with me for pocket-wide. Today I'd take the MX and an MF folder (I think I've said this here before).
For shorter trips in a car (or plane travel that ends with a rental car), it's a different story. I take more (but far less than I used to).
I don't have any backpacking trips planned where I'm living out of bag. I live out of a truck in the Marine Corps and still try to keep things light. I'm talking about hiking to a spot for a landscape. I've got the Appalachians and plenty of other places that aren't a few steps from a parking area. For the Germany trip, it's either the MX or LX and I'm going to look hard at the Fuji GA645zi. The Fuji, 35mm body, two lenses and a light meter would fit in a pretty small bag.

Sounds about right. The 75mm is arguably my most-used length.... I didn't anticipate that when I got into this system, but now it makes sense in terms of 35mm FOV equivalents. It's what I take when I take 1 lens. If I take two its the 45 and 105 or 135, most of the time. But try it, you can certainly get a two-lens kit into the Slingshot 100.
I could probably live with a 105 and 55 as a travel kit.

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
Looks like Crumpler dropped this line of bags. Seems it's used or what's left of the NOS on Amazon and comparable sites.
04-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote

I could probably live with a 105 and 55 as a travel kit.
Betting that'd suit you just fine.

04-22-2018, 04:10 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote
I can’t answer about inserts, but I use a Lowepro Photo Trekker Classic to carry a 67 with mounted 200/4, the fisheye below it, and half a dozen other shorter lenses (45, 55, 75PC, 105, 135 macro on one recent trip), plus their hoods.

Rick “meets carry-on requirements” Denney
I wouldn't rely on all airlines following the same sizes for cabin baggage, some of the UK budget airlines don't even guarantee you can take a bag into the cabin, others have much smaller size allowances - meaning all those pretty "Cabin baggage certified..." labels are meaningless.

Years ago I preferred backpacks because they didn't look like camera bags, since then, most backpacks have a laptop sleeve and many 'techies' walk round with $$$$ worth of laptops, tablets, phones as a regular thing - much more enticing than a bagful of ancient film photo gear. I now think a camera bag which doesn't look like it could fit.a laptop inside, is a better option.
04-22-2018, 05:30 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I meant it meets the carryon requirements for US domestic airlines (though it is consistent with my international experience).

Those dimensions are 14” by 9” by 22”. You can’t stuff the outer pocket of the Photo Trekker Classic, though.

Whether there is room for it if you are last to board is an entirely different question. The moral to that story is that if you are in the last group, pay what it takes to be upgraded to earlier boarding. If the flight is in a puddle-jumper, boarding earlier is even more critical, and a camera bag the size of a personal item that can fit under the seat might be advisable. My ThinkTank Streetwalker Pro is that size, and I think I could find a way to get a 67 and two or three lenses in it.

Rick “noting the difference between ‘carry-on’ and ‘personal item’” Denney
04-22-2018, 05:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Going to try a Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home bag. May look into replacing the strap with something removable to use it like an insert for the times when getting to a destination for shot involves a hike. Paid about what I expected to pay for an insert, maybe less.

04-24-2018, 12:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Going to try a Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home bag. May look into replacing the strap with something removable to use it like an insert for the times when getting to a destination for shot involves a hike. Paid about what I expected to pay for an insert, maybe less.
Not to belabor your selection, but just this morning a friend in a photo collective I'm a member of turned me on to these packs by Peak Designs... They are not cheap, and as I said in that thread, I was prepared to be rather nonplussed which is how I normally react to most "photographer's packs/bags". But this thing, I have to admit, is an impressively designed and executed piece of kit by the looks of it. It comes in two sizes.

Everyday Backpack | Peak Design
04-24-2018, 04:53 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not to belabor your selection, but just this morning a friend in a photo collective I'm a member of turned me on to these packs by Peak Designs... They are not cheap, and as I said in that thread, I was prepared to be rather nonplussed which is how I normally react to most "photographer's packs/bags". But this thing, I have to admit, is an impressively designed and executed piece of kit by the looks of it. It comes in two sizes.

Everyday Backpack | Peak Design
Nice looking bag. Probably overkill for what I need to carry the little 6x7 kit I have. Only having the camera for a week, I don’t have any experience to lean on, but I don’t see this being a camera I use for everyday snaps. I’m anticipating it will be used for more deliberately planned pictures, which won’t require hauling everything I own. Even for the everyday stuff, I want to get better at pairing down what I’m hauling around. Even with 35mm, I find I have a few lenses I use the most and everything else doesn’t come out of the bag. This has led to questioning if I need to keep all the lenses I have. A big bag that hauls everything isn’t conducive to me behaving myself.
04-24-2018, 05:39 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most lenses have a special purpose, and I eventually run into most special purposes for which a given lens will be optimal. I don't understand selling off special-purpose lenses in order to simplify--my life is simplified when I have exactly the correct lens for a situation. It's sorta like the old story of the young wedding photographer who told his mentor, "I prefer to shoot with available light" and the mentor responded, "if you had a flash in the trunk of your car, it would be available."

I do understand not taking the whole kit when the purpose is known beforehand, or when transport space is limited, such as when traveling by air.

My beef with that Peak pack (and I spent some time with one at the store) is the side entry. I can see dumping stuff on the ground, or having to climb through some stuff to get other stuff--in my view the principle sins of any camera case.

"One Bag to Rule Them All" has never worked for me. I have a bunch of bags, and find each is optimal for a different situation than the others. Sometimes, a bag can be my primary carry-on (for US domestic flights: 14x22x9 inches), and I have a LowePro Photo Trekker Classic that holds a 67 plus about 8 lenses, or an old Outpack that holds a Canon kit including about a dozen lenses. Sometimes, it's the personal item (9x10x17", though I've never seen it enforce if the bag was obviously smaller than a full-sized carry-on), such as the ThinkTank Streetwalker Pro that I use for the 645z. Sometimes, it has to sling over a should and weight no more than 7Kg (as on a flight from New Zealand to Australia), and for that I have an ultralight Tampac over-the-shoulder bag. Sometimes, I want to use the bag around my neck as a chest back for one camera, and I have an SLR bag with a lens pound attached to one side that holds my Canon with a 24-105 zoom, and a 70-200 on the side, plus a flash. That's a quick "just gotta bring a camera to make a few pictures" bag, and I think the Crumpler bag fits that description pretty well, if the central pocket is big enough for the 67 (and the pictures fill me with doubt on that one).

Soft bags do not protect equipment all that well. In the music world, we call them "dent bags". I have some hard cases for when I will need to stack a lot of equipment on a cart. Some of them have wheels, too.

So, for me, bags are like tripods--I have ended up with a collection of them, because each fulfills a unique set of requirements related to specific use cases, and no one bag address all my use cases.

Rick "who even has a shoulder bag for a Speed Graphic plus extra lens and six film holders" Denney
04-24-2018, 06:19 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Most lenses have a special purpose, and I eventually run into most special purposes for which a given lens will be optimal. I don't understand selling off special-purpose lenses in order to simplify--my life is simplified when I have exactly the correct lens for a situation. It's sorta like the old story of the young wedding photographer who told his mentor, "I prefer to shoot with available light" and the mentor responded, "if you had a flash in the trunk of your car, it would be available."

I do understand not taking the whole kit when the purpose is known beforehand, or when transport space is limited, such as when traveling by air.

My beef with that Peak pack (and I spent some time with one at the store) is the side entry. I can see dumping stuff on the ground, or having to climb through some stuff to get other stuff--in my view the principle sins of any camera case.

"One Bag to Rule Them All" has never worked for me. I have a bunch of bags, and find each is optimal for a different situation than the others. Sometimes, a bag can be my primary carry-on (for US domestic flights: 14x22x9 inches), and I have a LowePro Photo Trekker Classic that holds a 67 plus about 8 lenses, or an old Outpack that holds a Canon kit including about a dozen lenses. Sometimes, it's the personal item (9x10x17", though I've never seen it enforce if the bag was obviously smaller than a full-sized carry-on), such as the ThinkTank Streetwalker Pro that I use for the 645z. Sometimes, it has to sling over a should and weight no more than 7Kg (as on a flight from New Zealand to Australia), and for that I have an ultralight Tampac over-the-shoulder bag. Sometimes, I want to use the bag around my neck as a chest back for one camera, and I have an SLR bag with a lens pound attached to one side that holds my Canon with a 24-105 zoom, and a 70-200 on the side, plus a flash. That's a quick "just gotta bring a camera to make a few pictures" bag, and I think the Crumpler bag fits that description pretty well, if the central pocket is big enough for the 67 (and the pictures fill me with doubt on that one).

Soft bags do not protect equipment all that well. In the music world, we call them "dent bags". I have some hard cases for when I will need to stack a lot of equipment on a cart. Some of them have wheels, too.

So, for me, bags are like tripods--I have ended up with a collection of them, because each fulfills a unique set of requirements related to specific use cases, and no one bag address all my use cases.

Rick "who even has a shoulder bag for a Speed Graphic plus extra lens and six film holders" Denney
Rick, thanks for the insight. I haven't sold any lenses that I enjoy using. Most of what I have sold or intend to sell is stuff that came as a package. Seller wouldn't part it out, so it all ended up at my front door. I'm just as happy to give some of that stuff away or let my daughter use it and not lose any sleep or worry about a damaged lens.

We obviously have different needs for bags. I don't have 12 different focal length lenses for 35mm that'd I'd want to take all at the same time. I only have four lenses for my 645n kit and two for the 6x7. I also can't see when or why I'd want to take all of that stuff together on the same trip. I'm starting to lean towards the 6x7 and two lenses I have and a 35mm and digital P&S cameras for the snapshots and nights/evenings. For a lot people, on vacation (not photo work), I'm willing to bet simplicity is a camera and as few lenses as possible to be focused on relaxing and enjoying the time on vacation without fretting about which lens or camera combo to use. Just enjoy being there.

My 38L Deuter bag has worked as a carry on, and fit in the overhead bins, for domestic and international flights. Saw an earlier post about boarding early to ensure you get the space and I'm usually on the plane pretty early. I don't do a ton of air travel right now, but as my children get a bit older and capable of more adventurous travel and destinations, I'm sure that will pick up. I understand the idea of the right tool for the job, but I think most people could make things work with a "close enough" equivalent with a camera lens. Probably not necessary to have 10 lenses with some duplicate copies between 24-55mm.

As far as the Crumpler 7, another member emailed me pictures of a 6x7 kit with two lenses in the Crumpler 6 and the 7 is bigger.
04-24-2018, 07:03 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ha! Your vacation travel is like my business travel--I might have time for photography and I might not, so I throw a Canon body and (separate) lens in my briefcase, or the little Leica (er, Panasonic) digicam.

But relaxation for me means photography. Others can lay on the beach--I'll be in the dunes making photos. Others can join the package tours--I'll be making my own way to leave time for photos. Fortunately, my wife likes this approach as much as I do, so we tend to organize our vacations around photography, unless we are just visiting relatives. I'm not one of those who distinguishes between "experiencing a place" and "photographing a place". For me, the latter is a key part of the former.

So, I have bags for when photography is the principal activity, and bags for when I just need to make a few photos. I have bags optimized for hiking with cameras (backpacks), and bags optimized for equipment protection. Some are sized for air travel, and some for car travel. Each presents different requirements, so I have ended up with a collection of bags.

As we agree, my use cases are mine and may not be yours.

Is the Crumpler designed to double as a fanny pack? The shape suggests it, but I have not handled one.

Rick "whose trip to Alaska this year will be half visiting and half photography, and all relaxing" Denney
04-24-2018, 07:48 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ha! Your vacation travel is like my business travel--I might have time for photography and I might not, so I throw a Canon body and (separate) lens in my briefcase, or the little Leica (er, Panasonic) digicam.

But relaxation for me means photography. Others can lay on the beach--I'll be in the dunes making photos. Others can join the package tours--I'll be making my own way to leave time for photos. Fortunately, my wife likes this approach as much as I do, so we tend to organize our vacations around photography, unless we are just visiting relatives. I'm not one of those who distinguishes between "experiencing a place" and "photographing a place". For me, the latter is a key part of the former.

So, I have bags for when photography is the principal activity, and bags for when I just need to make a few photos. I have bags optimized for hiking with cameras (backpacks), and bags optimized for equipment protection. Some are sized for air travel, and some for car travel. Each presents different requirements, so I have ended up with a collection of bags.

As we agree, my use cases are mine and may not be yours.

Is the Crumpler designed to double as a fanny pack? The shape suggests it, but I have not handled one.

Rick "whose trip to Alaska this year will be half visiting and half photography, and all relaxing" Denney
I don't separate photography and relaxing either. I assume, based on your experience and some dates/years you've previously posted that you're in a different stage in life than I am. I have children ages five and eight. They don't quite have the patience to hang out and wait for the light to be just right nor are they interested in getting up in the dark to be somewhere for a dawn photo. My upcoming Caribbean trip is sans kids, but it's a trip with a gang of friends from college following the wedding of one of the couples. They asked us all to come visit for as little or as long as we'd like during their honeymoon, so it's practically a reunion. Visiting those friends will pull on my strings for photography time. The trip to Europe is to get my in-laws there for what will likely be their first and only major trip overseas. They're in their early 60s and we're going for two weeks and going to try to cram in several major cities. Photographs will be a part of it, but I'm going to be on a schedule with the rest of the gang.

We don't have the logistics worked out for traveling between cities like Paris, Cologne, Prague, etc. There likely will be some rental car, some trains, and last resort is additional flights. I have several good friends in Germany to consult. When my wife and I lived there, we'd jump on a train and go with a medium-sized backpack for four days, but that was a couple of young 20-somethings for a few days.

I don't think it's meant to be a fanny and I don't intend to wear it as such, not for style reasons, but the weight pulling across my lower back.
04-24-2018, 09:31 AM   #29
Veteran Member

It seems Crumpler is getting out of the camera bag business, unfortunately. I have a 4, 5, and 6 million dollar home,. All of them are laid out as a shoulder bag, and I haven't seen any that are set up as a fanny pack/bum bag. With the 67, I'd be afraid of it pulling my pants down. The 4 is the perfect size for K3ii facing down with a medium sized zoom (18-135) and a little space for maybe a small prime. The 5 lets me carry the K3ii with one mounted and four unmounted primes. The 6 handles as much as I'd ever need on my K3ii, or barely holds the the 67 with 55/3.5 and 20/4. I really like the Crumpler build. They all have wide straps and the 5 and 6 both have very nice removable shoulder pads.

Coming from the K3ii and a SuperProgram (which is really tiny) most of my bags wouldn't even begin to hold the 67. I'm using the 6 now, but will look for a 7 or the "Brazillion Dollar Home" or else something like a Domke F-2. I really like Domke as well, except the interior dividers are not very configurable.
04-24-2018, 11:29 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't separate photography and relaxing either. I assume, based on your experience and some dates/years you've previously posted that you're in a different stage in life than I am. I have children ages five and eight. They don't quite have the patience to hang out and wait for the light to be just right nor are they interested in getting up in the dark to be somewhere for a dawn photo. My upcoming Caribbean trip is sans kids, but it's a trip with a gang of friends from college following the wedding of one of the couples. They asked us all to come visit for as little or as long as we'd like during their honeymoon, so it's practically a reunion. Visiting those friends will pull on my strings for photography time. The trip to Europe is to get my in-laws there for what will likely be their first and only major trip overseas. They're in their early 60s and we're going for two weeks and going to try to cram in several major cities. Photographs will be a part of it, but I'm going to be on a schedule with the rest of the gang.

We don't have the logistics worked out for traveling between cities like Paris, Cologne, Prague, etc. There likely will be some rental car, some trains, and last resort is additional flights. I have several good friends in Germany to consult. When my wife and I lived there, we'd jump on a train and go with a medium-sized backpack for four days, but that was a couple of young 20-somethings for a few days.

I don't think it's meant to be a fanny and I don't intend to wear it as such, not for style reasons, but the weight pulling across my lower back.
If you're taking a 67 with all that going on, you have my respect.

(I'm about at the age of your in-laws.)

Rick "sounds like a great trip" Denney