Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2018, 07:56 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Backpack/bag insert for a 6x7?

Anyone familiar with an insert large enough to hold a 6x7 and a couple lenses? I only have the 105 right now, but will eventually pick up a couple others. I used a Tenba BYOB bag for a trip to Africa that worked really well for a 35mm kit. I'm not a fan of spending several hundred dollars on a dedicated camera backpack that is essentially useless for anything else. I have a 38L (a little over 2,300 cu in) backpack that will work well to drop the camera stuff, a jacket, water bottle and some food in and strap a tripod to the side. The only thing I've seen that looks large enough is the MindShift insert (rotation180 Padded Photo Insert, Camera Case Dividers | MindShift Gear). That may even fit in a shoulder bag if I'm staying local. I was surprised to see the body with waist level finder and 105 fit into a LowePro 100 AW sling bag, but I'm guessing it won't fit with a prism. Just curious what you're all using if you went with something other than a dedicated camera bag.

04-18-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

With a 67 on the way, I'd also be interested in hearing about any appropriately sized bags, inserts, etc..
04-18-2018, 09:50 AM   #3

The larger internal camera units (ICUs) from f-stop (fstopgear.com) might work but they are a bit on the expensive side. There may be some cheaper knockoffs on ebay that might do the trick.
04-18-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

You might look at some of the smaller camcorder bags--I gave up trying to fit my 67 with L-bracket and chimney finder in a bag designed for even pro DSLR's and have been happy with this model from Porta Brace:

Porta Brace CS-DV1U Mini-DV Camcorder Case (Blue) CS-DV1U B&H

though I'm sure other "Doctor" style bags would work as well.

04-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

to me the ideal layout for the 67 with three lenses would be something like this. As a standalone, the Domke F-3X looks the closest, but I don't know about size. For an insert to another bag (and god knows I have enough bags) I haven't found anything in this layout.
Attached Images

04-18-2018, 10:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian

This insert from Pac Safe might be worth looking at--it seems deep enough to handle a 67 w/ prism.

Pacsafe Camsafe PCI-M Protective Camera Insert (Black) 15745100
04-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can't help with inserts, and my main transport bag is a huge LowePro Pro Trekker 400AW - which will hold two P6x7 bodies with prisms and lenses attached (one short and one long to about 200mm), and probably four more lenses and pockets for other stuff. It's an excellent backpack, but very large and expensive - the depth is important to fit the bodies with prisms attached (you need about 6").

My walk-around bag is currently an old LowePro Orion Trekker (the green & black version) which will fit a P6x7 + prism + 45mm attached (I guess the 90 & 105 might be OK - I don't have these lenses) with room for another lens (up to about 165) next to it the bottom section. My films and other stuff go in the top section.

I've customised my other medium format bags (normal rectangular jobs with re-arrangeable padding) by using self-adhesive Velcro tape to hold the padding in the right places if the sewn in Velcro isn't in the right places.
04-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yeah, finding the right bag for your 67 gear can be a trial and error process. I use a verity of cases depending on type of travel. I use a regular day hiker's pack a lot for walking around. For situations were I want to protect the gear more, I have one of those big, padded packs you mention and a camcorder case from the old days. But they just for transporting from one place to another or a short distance from the car. But you can repurpose other bags/cases that are not necessarily for cameras and save money if you don't need a lot of protection padding. Often if it's a camera bag the price is jacked up.

For fun here is my DIY Ever-Ready case for walking around with my 67. I'd carry other lenses in a day hiker's pack or just the one lens on the camera.

Pentax 67 with WLF and 105mm in a DIY case.

04-18-2018, 07:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
With a 67 on the way, I'd also be interested in hearing about any appropriately sized bags, inserts, etc..

I can’t answer about inserts, but I use a Lowepro Photo Trekker Classic to carry a 67 with mounted 200/4, the fisheye below it, and half a dozen other shorter lenses (45, 55, 75PC, 105, 135 macro on one recent trip), plus their hoods.

Rick “meets carry-on requirements” Denney
04-20-2018, 11:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've a generic padded insert bag with a zipper top and removable partitions. There are tons out there for cheap, though I normally don't take a three lens kit with one of these. The 67 fits in mine with one attached and one extra lens. Normally though I load it with the camer, my light meter, some films and odd/ins. Extra lens I have in the pack outside the insert loaded in Pentax padded lens cases. These works for me in most all of my backpacks and sling bags.

(I generally don't use dedicated camera bags - I find them irritatingly inflexible as well as a loud "hey I have cameras in here" sign that you wear around your body.)
04-21-2018, 05:45 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I've a generic padded insert bag with a zipper top and removable partitions. There are tons out there for cheap, though I normally don't take a three lens kit with one of these. The 67 fits in mine with one attached and one extra lens. Normally though I load it with the camer, my light meter, some films and odd/ins. Extra lens I have in the pack outside the insert loaded in Pentax padded lens cases. These works for me in most all of my backpacks and sling bags.

(I generally don't use dedicated camera bags - I find them irritatingly inflexible as well as a loud "hey I have cameras in here" sign that you wear around your body.)
Where’d you find this plethora of generic inserts? I looked at just about every option on B&H’s website and there are a previous few that have the dimensions for a 6x7 body. I like the idea of using lens cases to make it scalable.
04-21-2018, 07:51 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
Where’d you find this plethora of generic inserts? I looked at just about every option on B&H’s website and there are a previous few that have the dimensions for a 6x7 body. I like the idea of using lens cases to make it scalable.
Amazon. The only dimension that completely add odds with DSLR-oriented inserts is the prism height. With that removed and stowed (or if using the WLF) it's not too challenging. Fitting that tall prism in something generic can. I just stuff mine in.

Along those lines (though I've never owned one, I've looked at them a bunch) would be something like the large Domke wraps. Could have your full body and/or lens/prism in one of those, and odds & ins with lenses in an insert.

I'll see if I can find the one I've been using but a quick search last night I didn't see it.

---------- Post added 04-21-18 at 08:03 AM ----------

Not gonna lie though. P67 with three lenses is more than I've ever taken in the field - 2 lens kit at most is all the weight I want. I just make choices. Most storage systems for the 67 from that past were hard-cased solutions, Pelican and the like, with cut foam for your kits. Good for travel. Not a great packing setup though obviously.
04-21-2018, 08:23 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the only dedicated bag I have these days, the original (and smalllest) of the Lowepro sling bags (Slingshot I think they're called - I've had forever). I do use it like this sometimes. It's is very tight but it will close without any real stress on the zips - and has the reinforced buckles/snaps as well. Tight enough and compact enough you could use this as an insert if need be. A few films and filters fit in the front pocket, as well as a strap and a few filters etc in the top pocket. The top pocket will also accommodate an MX with a normal or smaller wide lens which is usually what I use it for, and I leave out the third lens to leave room for my films and meter in the main.

Seen here's is the P67 with non-metered prism (metered fits as well), the 105 mounted, the 165/2.8 left, and 45/4 right. With my bulkiest padded strap in the top pocket.
I swear it's all in there (with some room in the top and front really) when it's closed. And again, this is the *smallest* of the slings.
But let me tell you - it is not light. No film, filters or any extras packed here and weighs in at 10.15lbs.
Attached Images

04-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The unzipped photo looks like the bag is getting a C-section. I have the 100 AW slingshot bag. I also got the body with the WLF to fit in the Tenba Black Label small satchel. Two lenses is probably fine for most local, planned shots. I’m looking how at how to make it work if I wanted to take it to Germany next year or a Caribbean island in a month. I need to pick up a wide angle and really haven’t decided between the 55 and 75. Not sure I want to go as wide as the 45 for my second lens. I have the K24/3.5 and enjoy it, but I lean more toward the flexibility of the K28 and K35.

Too many camera-related wants right now. I like the idea of a Fuji 645 rangefinder for the Europe trip next year and would like to get a 35mm P&S just to have one, let alone a few lenses for the 6x7.
04-21-2018, 09:26 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
The unzipped photo looks like the bag is getting a C-section.
Hahahah. Yes, it kinda does.

QuoteQuote:
I have the 100 AW slingshot bag.
If you you don't use it much you could conceivably cut off the sling strap, making it much more "stuffable".

QuoteQuote:
I also got the body with the WLF to fit in the Tenba Black Label small satchel. Two lenses is probably fine for most local, planned shots. I’m looking how at how to make it work if I wanted to take it to Germany next year or a Caribbean island in a month.
I adore my 67 rigs, but if I'm honest, I'd never take them on travel that involved walking/backpacking as I've done in the past. Even the K-7 with M50/1.4 that I had along with me on my 1.5 year journey a while back irritated me now and then due to the weight/bulk (though I'm glad I had it along overall definitely but had I taken two other lenses with me, I'd have shipped them back home within a month or two, no doubt in my mind). I also had GR Digital III with me for pocket-wide. Today I'd take the MX and an MF folder (I think I've said this here before).
For shorter trips in a car (or plane travel that ends with a rental car), it's a different story. I take more (but far less than I used to).

QuoteQuote:
I need to pick up a wide angle and really haven’t decided between the 55 and 75. Not sure I want to go as wide as the 45 for my second lens. I have the K24/3.5 and enjoy it, but I lean more toward the flexibility of the K28 and K35.
Sounds about right. The 75mm is arguably my most-used length.... I didn't anticipate that when I got into this system, but now it makes sense in terms of 35mm FOV equivalents. It's what I take when I take 1 lens. If I take two its the 45 and 105 or 135, most of the time. But try it, you can certainly get a two-lens kit into the Slingshot 100.