Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2018, 12:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Capture One?

I wanted to try Capture One as an alternative to LR/PS but just discovered that the 645Z is not on their list of supported cameras!...Pentax K and others in the range are, but not the 645 range...

04-20-2018, 12:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Yes that is true. Since they want to sell their own medium format cameras one can understand they don’t support competing cameras in that segment.
04-20-2018, 12:48 AM   #3

Phase One will never support competing medium format cameras. They usually support all 24x36 cameras, APS-C cameras, but they have clearly stated that they will never support Pentax 645, Leica S, Hasselblad, Fuji GFX.
If you want to use Capture One, you need to modify the "identity' of the files, and make Capture One believe that the pictures where taken with a Phase One Camera. Some programs do that automatically, I think it was described on this forum.
04-20-2018, 08:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SylvainB Quote
If you want to use Capture One, you need to modify the "identity' of the files, and make Capture One believe that the pictures where taken with a Phase One Camera. Some programs do that automatically, I think it was described on this forum.
I thought one of the key feature of C1 is that it optimizes output for your camera's sensor?

04-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I thought one of the key feature of C1 is that it optimizes output for your camera's sensor?
Exactly. By fudging the metadata you're not going to get lens corrections, the colour will be off and you'll have to create your own profiles, etc.

You could probably get the colour where it needs to be by using Lumariver Profile Designer, which allows for the creation of C1 profiles, but you'd still be out of luck on the lens corrections. And, particularly on the wider lenses, these are useful.

So it's doable, but you have to question the value of jumping through the hoops to end up with something that is never going to be properly optimised.
04-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #6

Use DxO Photolab. Forget Capture One for 645Z files. Ain't happening. I get tremendous results from DxO.

Overview | DxO.com
04-20-2018, 10:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tar4heel2 Quote
Use DxO Photolab. Forget Capture One for 645Z files. Ain't happening. I get tremendous results from DxO.

Overview | DxO.com
OK tar4heel2....interesting option...will give it a try! Thks...

01-30-2019, 11:11 AM   #8

I have been able to get a work around - an app that changes the exif info and fools capture one into thinking that files from the 645Z were taken with a Phase One IQ250 back. Works great and the rendering of the images in C1 Pro is much better than in lightroom. I just have to learn how to use bloody C1 Pro now!!
02-07-2019, 05:51 PM   #9

Which work around did you decide on.
02-14-2019, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #10

I use EXIF tool to do this job. I have created a Desktop icon, calling exif tool with the right parameters. So after copying the files on to the computer, I just have to select them all and drag and drop them onto the icon. And just wait for EXIF tool to change the files. It is quite I/O intensive, as it will write the full file again. So an SSD or a RAID 0 of two 3.5" HDD might be a good idea here, if you want to convert a lot of files.
By the way: The 645D works directly in C1 10 pro, you just have to make sure you use the right RAW format on the camera. The workaround is for the 645Z only.
02-14-2019, 10:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SylvainB Quote
Phase One will never support competing medium format cameras. They usually support all 24x36 cameras, APS-C cameras, but they have clearly stated that they will never support Pentax 645, Leica S, Hasselblad, Fuji GFX.
They may have stated not to support other medium format cameras. But never say never. They now support Fuji GFX. So I guess, money of camera manufacturers and special relationships can help. ;-)

Capture One software compatible with FUJIFILM GFX and X Series cameras now available | Fujifilm Deutschland