Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-20-2018, 08:40 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Using medium format leaf shutter (LS) lenses on non-native formats

There are two leaf shutter (LS) lenses (75mm and 135mm) for the 645 series of cameras as well as two (90mm and 165mm) for the 67/6x7 series. I have copies of all except the 67/90mm. I am wondering if anyone has found a reliable method/technique for using any/all of these medium format lenses on other than their native formats. I am particularly interested in using the 67 lenses on the 645N/D/Z and in using both the 645 and 67 LS lenses on the full-frame K-1, but have not yet figured out a way to do so. Any information or thoughts will be much appreciated.

As far as I am aware, Pentax has never produced a leaf shutter lens for 135 cameras or for any crop sensor or full-frame digital camera.

04-20-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I have a Pentax67 -> PK adapter. My adapter does not link the lens aperture lever to the camera body. So it's stopped-down metering with the 90mm LS put in manual mode. To utilize the leaf shutter feature you need control of the aperture lever on the lens.

Edit:
The leaf shutter operation on 165mm is different than the 90mm. And the 165mm LS isn't really usable on my adapter.

Last edited by tuco; 04-20-2018 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Add Info
04-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I have a Pentax67 -> PK adapter. My adapter does not link the lens aperture lever to the camera body. So it's stopped-down metering with the 90mm LS put in manual mode. To utilize the leaf shutter feature you need control of the aperture lever on the lens.

Edit:
The leaf shutter operation on 165mm is different than the 90mm. And the 165mm LS isn't really usable on my adapter.
Thank you. I have ordered the official Pentax 67-645 adapter, which is supposed to link the 67 lenses to the 645 cameras in a way that preserves leaf shutter capability--so I should be able to test out the 67 on 645 functionality myself in a week or so.

Meanwhile, I have found further discussion of the situation that seems to affirm that this kind of functionality exists using the Pentax adapter.

Will Pentax 67 leaf-shutter lenses work on 645 with adapter? | Photo.net Photography Forums
04-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't see why they wouldn't work on a Pentax 645. No difference than when on a 67 really.

04-20-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I don't see why they wouldn't work on a Pentax 645. No difference than when on a 67 really.
The difference is that when the 67-LS lens is used with the 67, it is on its native mount with the mount connections engineered to make the LS lens function. To mount the 67-LS lens on any of the 645 cameras (645, 645N, 645D, or 645Z) an adapter is necessary because the mounts are different from each other. The non-Pentax adapters do not preserve any of the 67-LS mount connectors. However, it now appears that there is a Pentax brand 67-645 adapter that does in fact preserve the LS connectors and thus makes the 67-LS lens work on the 645 cameras. The 67-LS lens does not work on my 645 cameras when I attempt to make it work using a non-Pentax adapter. I know this because I have tried it. However I have finally located an actual Pentax brand connecter in Japan, and now I am waiting to receive it to see whether it allows the 67-KS lens to work.
06-04-2018, 01:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi ivanvernon, have you managed to get hold of the Pentax adapter and been able to try it? I'm trying to work out if the 90 L/S will work using the Pentax adapter (also the 75mm shift which doesn't have an aperture lever). The Pentax adapter manual suggests these lenses won't work (although why is puzzling me).
06-04-2018, 06:21 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
Hi ivanvernon, have you managed to get hold of the Pentax adapter and been able to try it? I'm trying to work out if the 90 L/S will work using the Pentax adapter (also the 75mm shift which doesn't have an aperture lever). The Pentax adapter manual suggests these lenses won't work (although why is puzzling me).
Yes, I now have the Pentax brand 67-645 adapter in hand. I have also tried the Pentax 67 165mm f 4.0 LS lens, using the adapter, on my 645Z camera. The results are as follows: The camera/lens/flash appears to be working correctly: (1) the flash fires and (2) the LS shutter closes. The entire process appears to work in a coordinated fashion. However, no image is created. I only get a blank screen. I get this same result at all LS shutter speeds (60, 125, 250, and 500) and at all on-camera firing modes (M, B, X, TAv, Av, Tv, and Sv). It is encouraging that the camera, lens, and flash appear to work in a coordinated fashion, but a mystery that this apparently successful process does not yield an image. Any thoughts or suggestions can offer will be gratefully received.

06-04-2018, 09:32 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Yes, I now have the Pentax brand 67-645 adapter in hand. I have also tried the Pentax 67 165mm f 4.0 LS lens, using the adapter, on my 645Z camera. The results are as follows: The camera/lens/flash appears to be working correctly: (1) the flash fires and (2) the LS shutter closes. The entire process appears to work in a coordinated fashion. However, no image is created. I only get a blank screen. I get this same result at all LS shutter speeds (60, 125, 250, and 500) and at all on-camera firing modes (M, B, X, TAv, Av, Tv, and Sv). It is encouraging that the camera, lens, and flash appear to work in a coordinated fashion, but a mystery that this apparently successful process does not yield an image. Any thoughts or suggestions can offer will be gratefully received.

I had this problem with a 645 75mm LS lens, until I taped the contacts. Somehow, the leaf shutter is releasing before the focal-plane shutter is open.

The adapter has no contacts so I can’t find the parallel, but the lack of image tells me the focal-plane shutter and leaf shutter are not open at the same time. Use a flash cord aimed into the lens to see if you can tell what the shutters are doing when the flash fires.

Rick “thinking Ricoh didn’t get this right” Denney
06-04-2018, 01:25 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
67 165mm 4.0 LS on 645D

QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote
I had this problem with a 645 75mm LS lens, until I taped the contacts. Somehow, the leaf shutter is releasing before the focal-plane shutter is open.

The adapter has no contacts so I can’t find the parallel, but the lack of image tells me the focal-plane shutter and leaf shutter are not open at the same time. Use a flash cord aimed into the lens to see if you can tell what the shutters are doing when the flash fires.

Rick “thinking Ricoh didn’t get this right” Denney
I have now gone through the same exercise as described earlier (on the 645Z), this time on the 645D, with exactly the same results.
06-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have now gone through the same exercise as described earlier (on the 645Z), this time on the 645D, with exactly the same results.
Quoting the Pentax 67 LS 165mm f/4 lens manual:

""When combining the "Adapter 645 for 67 Lens" or the "Adapter K for 67 Lens" with this lens (165/4LS), use the lens in the focal-plane mode.""

In another wards the 67 165/4LS is not going to work in the leaf-shutter mode using either Pentax 67 lens adapter. So unless there is a 3rd party adapter, you are unfortunately out of luck.

Phil.
06-05-2018, 04:16 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Quoting the Pentax 67 LS 165mm f/4 lens manual:

""When combining the "Adapter 645 for 67 Lens" or the "Adapter K for 67 Lens" with this lens (165/4LS), use the lens in the focal-plane mode.""

In another wards the 67 165/4LS is not going to work in the leaf-shutter mode using either Pentax 67 lens adapter. So unless there is a 3rd party adapter, you are unfortunately out of luck.

Phil.
Thanks Phil. That sounds pretty definitive.
06-05-2018, 07:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Are you using the specific LS/FP shutter synchronisation speed, that being 1/8 sec, set on the camera body (for the camera's shutter)?

---------- Post added 6th Jun 2018 at 12:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote

Leaf shutter lenses (in leaf shutter mode with LS shutter speeds selected) operate independently of the camera, but the camera's own focal plane shutter must be set to 1/8 second (in LS mode) to synchronise correctly.

I have never experienced a blank frame with the 165LS.
06-05-2018, 10:46 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
LS 165 test shots

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Are you using the specific LS/FP shutter synchronisation speed, that being 1/8 sec, set on the camera body (for the camera's shutter)?

---------- Post added 6th Jun 2018 at 12:09 PM ----------

Leaf shutter lenses (in leaf shutter mode with LS shutter speeds selected) operate independently of the camera, but the camera's own focal plane shutter must be set to 1/8 second (in LS mode) to synchronise correctly.

I have never experienced a blank frame with the 165LS.
-----------------------------------------

Silent Street, you nailed it. When I use 1/8 second for the focal plane shutter, the 165 LS works perfectly. The light output from the tiny flash (Pentax AF 200T) I am using for test shots is really not adequate, so I had to boost ISO way up to 256,000 to get a usable image. Later I will try out with a regular flash. I am using the flash unit in Full light output and M for Manual mode. One problem with using legacy equipment is that so often you do not have the user manuals at hand. Thanks for the advice--why I love this Forum so much!

Attached are two test images at LS 1/250 and 1/500.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
06-05-2018, 11:52 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

LOL! Yes, saving the world is a full-time job here...
06-06-2018, 07:28 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

-----------------------------------------

Silent Street, you nailed it. When I use 1/8 second for the focal plane shutter, the 165 LS works perfectly. The light output from the tiny flash (Pentax AF 200T) I am using for test shots is really not adequate, so I had to boost ISO way up to 256,000 to get a usable image. Later I will try out with a regular flash. I am using the flash unit in Full light output and M for Manual mode. One problem with using legacy equipment is that so often you do not have the user manuals at hand. Thanks for the advice--why I love this Forum so much!

Attached are two test images at LS 1/250 and 1/500.
That's good to know! I had my doubts after reading the 165/4 LS manual.

Phil.

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
LOL! Yes, saving the world is a full-time job here...
Good work!

Phil.