Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2019, 06:16 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tuco posted an observation about storage of LS lenses in 2009. Search the forum for this; I am on-loc in the wilds at the mo and running out of spare hands...

09-07-2019, 02:37 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote
Springs relaxed mean the shutter has been released. Cocked on a Pentax LS lens means that you have rotated the cocking ring to charge the shutter.

The focal-plane shutter on a 6x7 is cocked when you advance the film.

Rick “who never really worries about how they are stored” Denney
OK thanks Rick. Now you've got me worried about my focal-plane shutter. Should I store that cocked or released?!
09-07-2019, 03:37 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used the old 55 mm f/3.5 for a few years before upgrading to the 67 Pentax 55 mm f/4 latest edition. The old lens was quite prone to flaring in backlighting conditions. It was very sharp though. I used it for landscape pictures @ f/16 tripod-mounted and produced very beautiful garden pictures with it. The new 55 mm f/4 is in a league of its own, it is the most "optically perfect" lens I ever used, no flare, exceedingly sharp, lovely colors.

Regards, Richard
09-07-2019, 03:02 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Graville Quote
OK thanks Rick. Now you've got me worried about my focal-plane shutter. Should I store that cocked or released?!

Focal plane shutters and leaf shutters are two different things that perform the same function in specific situations. With all of the Pentax 6x7 / 67-variant cameras, the camera's shutter should not be left cocked for an extended period of time as this will lead to inaccurate shutter speeds. Good practice would suggest you not wind on the last frame of a shoot.

The springs in leaf shutter lenses are very, very tiny. The complexity of repair is the reason prevention is better than cure when learning how to store the lenses correctly when not in use.

09-23-2019, 09:21 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the focal-plane shutter in a P67, it hardly matters. The closing of the second curtain is timed electronically, and the springs only control how fast the curtains move.

Rick “who lost touch for a few weeks” Denney