Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2018, 08:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

pentax 67 300 f4 (the cheap one)

I bought a Pentax 67 300 f4 recently because it was cheap enough, and I figured, why not? I'm mostly a wide or normal shooter, so I didn't want to spend the big bucks for the later model with the ED glass and all that for a lens that I might use a couple of times a year.

the lens is in perfect shape. It literally looks like its never been used. but the retractable hood is kind of strange and I was wondering if this was normal. Basically its very loose, whether I extend it or retract it it is floppy, and pointing the lens straight up is enough to have gravity fully retract the hood, and pointing it straight down is enough to fully extend the hood.

As best as I can see there is no lock or bayonet mechanism that that I'm not engaging. Am I correct in assuming that there is felt, or similar, on the inside of the base of the hood that is supposed to be tight enough to hold it in place? And most likely my is dried out and withered so it is too loose?

If anyone else has this lens, can you tell me, is it as loose as mine? Is there a trick I'm missing? Do you just live with it, or there a trick to fix it without disassembly?

05-09-2018, 08:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
If anyone else has this lens, can you tell me, is it as loose as mine? Is there a trick I'm missing? Do you just live with it, or there a trick to fix it without disassembly?
Nope mine (67 300/4) is fine and has resistance, so your's will need fixing. The problem you have is the same as with my 35mm K300/4, the hood was loose so I sent it to Eric and he fixed it.

Yes I believe you are correct and there is felt that has worn out, same as with the old metal push-on lens caps.

Phil.
05-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess a $75 len is a $75 lens...

It seems like it would be an easy fix if I could find a way to get it off. I'll look to see if there is a retaining ring or something.
05-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
it turns out removing the lens hood is pretty easy, and doesn't require tools:

- turn the focus to focus as close as the lens can. this extends the barrel forward.
- slide the hood forward so it doesn't cover the barrel
- there is a raised section on the barrel. the threaded connection is just forward of this bump, so with one hand hold the barrel on the bump, and the other hand hold the area forward of the bump and twist.
- after unthreading, the front part including optics will come off as a whole. no need to worry about pieces coming off.
- slide the hood back and off.

there is just a thin strip of material that provides the friction. I'm not quite sure what to get to replace it. it looks like a synthetic velvet or similar (I'm far from an expert in fabrics). I'll need to find something thicker, preferably with built in adhesive, and the won't crush. I think I'll visit the hardware store this weekend to see what I can find.

05-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
it turns out removing the lens hood is pretty easy, and doesn't require tools:

- turn the focus to focus as close as the lens can. this extends the barrel forward.
- slide the hood forward so it doesn't cover the barrel
- there is a raised section on the barrel. the threaded connection is just forward of this bump, so with one hand hold the barrel on the bump, and the other hand hold the area forward of the bump and twist.
- after unthreading, the front part including optics will come off as a whole. no need to worry about pieces coming off.
- slide the hood back and off.

there is just a thin strip of material that provides the friction. I'm not quite sure what to get to replace it. it looks like a synthetic velvet or similar (I'm far from an expert in fabrics). I'll need to find something thicker, preferably with built in adhesive, and the won't crush. I think I'll visit the hardware store this weekend to see what I can find.
Good news! You might try a fabric store, they will have lots of rolls of felt/velvet in smaller strips that may work.

Phil.
05-09-2018, 03:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Velcro

What about the loop side of Velcro . The stuff comes in different shapes and sizes and can be cut to suit. Also already has sticky back, just peel and stick. Works great. If too thick probably could shave it down a bit.