Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2018, 02:55 AM   #1

Stripes on negatives

Hey all,

I own a 6x7 for few months now and I love working with it. But I am seeing these stripes on my negatives. (See in the dark hair part in the photo below, right above his nose).

Has anyone seen something like this or has an idea what the problem might be? I used different labs for developing, so I think it must be something in the back of the camera. For me it looked like something in the film chamber is scrubbing when forwarding the film.

Trying to fix it in the photoshop., didn't do much so far. Any tips on that?

Thanks in advance!!!
Henk

---------- Post added 05-17-18 at 02:58 AM ----------

btw: This photo was shot in portrait mode.

Attached Images

05-17-2018, 03:50 AM   #2

I'm getting the same from my MZ-5. Will be watching this thread!
05-17-2018, 06:35 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do the negatives look like? Is there a physical mark and does it extend beyond the frame? If so, is it on the emulsion side of the negative?

How was the exposed film handled after it was removed from the camera? The reason I ask is that the "mark" looks to be in the area of the tape used to secure the loose end of the exposed roll. Similarly, how was the film stored before use?

If there is something in the film chamber rubbing the film, it should be obvious (feel with your finger) and would make a mark on the emulsion side of the negative.

BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve
05-17-2018, 07:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Is it always in the same location on the image?

05-17-2018, 09:49 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My laptop monitor is inadequate to reveal the streaks, but in my film processing days I found two primary reasons for such marks.

1) something in the camera, on the rollers the film passes over, on the pressure plate, extremely rarely on the shutter curtain that scratches the film, especially when it wound. Most commonly it's something on the emulsion side, more rarely something on the pressure plate.

2) something done during processing the film, especially A) when loading the film into a developing reel; or B) using a squeegee of some kind to wipe off moisture when the film is hung up to dry and the emulsion surface is vulnerable because it is wet; C) leaving a little chemical residue on the film, either surface (=rinsing cycle inadequate).

Emulsion surface scratches usually show as black streaks, Backside of the film is more variable, but may show as a light streak. Chemical residue usually produces a white streak that is blurry, not a sharp edged, thread-like mark.
05-18-2018, 12:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
reminds me of the results my old flatbed scanner gave near the end of its days. looks digital, not analog.
05-18-2018, 01:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I don't see any stripes, but I have the forum set to down-scale images to a certain max size as some people routinely post enormous shots. Perhaps you could post a crop that shows it more clearly?

05-18-2018, 02:00 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks you all for replying so quickly! Hereby a crop from the image, the stripes are vertically in the center of the frame.

I checked the negatives and I can't find the stripes in between the frames. Which probably excludes that there would be something in the chamber scratching the film. I talked with a guy from kamerazeit.de and the mentioned that the curtain (he mentioned the small metal thing that pulls the curtain) might have a slight light leak which projects light on the negative while forwarding the film. If that is true, it would help when I would put on the lens cap when forwarding the film. I will try that next week and see if that solves the problem, will post that here!
Also if that is true, repairing is not an option as these curtains are not being made anymore.

These lines cant be from the lab as I got the films developed in two different labs and got the same results.
Also can't be from the flatbed scanning as the lab did the scanning with their fuji scanner.

Henk
Attached Images

05-18-2018, 02:02 AM   #9

Original Poster
And here the crop
Attached Images

05-18-2018, 03:49 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see a lot of highlights on the hair, but I cannot, at least on this monitor, see any stripes that might indicate an error or a problem. BTW: if there is a pinhole in the shutter curtain, which - depending on whether it is through the leading or following curtain - would cause a white streak or possibly a persistent white spot, it probably can be patched. In college (1960's) a photofriend burned a hole through his Leica M3 shutter by holding it in the sun while admiring the beautiful 50mm Summicron f2 lens. The repair glued a tiny spot of shutter curtain cloth over the hole, and the M3 shutter worked perfectly (=speeds accurate).
05-18-2018, 06:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The lines are pretty noticeable to me—a vertical wipe visible only in the darkest part of the hair. It’s about 1/5 the width of the crop and mostly centered. Somehow it doesn’t look like something that a light leak in the shutter would cause. If you can’t figure out what is causing it, I’d just start by cleaning the various things that the film contacts along it’s path and see if it clears up.

We’re they the same type of film? There is always the possibility that the film got scratched before it got to you.
05-18-2018, 06:31 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm on my other monitor (desktop) so now I can see the marks. What is the orientation of the film? Is this mark parallel to the film length or is it perpendicular (= @ 90 degrees to the edge of the film)? It looks to me like a chemical residue smear caused by wiping the film IF it is parallel to the edges of the film, that is, the image was taken with the camera held in vertical "portrait" orientation. It does look like a film processing anomaly so it should show on the negative.
05-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Henk Quote
might have a slight light leak which projects light on the negative while forwarding the film.
If so, the lines would likely extend between the frames. It would take little effort of check for pinholes, however.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Is this mark parallel to the film length
On the 6x7, the mark is parallel to both film and shutter travel. The film does not contact the pressure plate (backing paper) and the entrance to the film gate is over a set of rollers both sides.

As noted earlier in this thread, a test exposure of both an evenly lit blank surface as well as a frame taken with the lens cap on might be helpful.

Question for the OP (@henk): Who did the scans? What brand film and how old?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-18-2018 at 01:29 PM.
05-18-2018, 10:46 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had to turn up my iPhone to get-a-tan brightness to see the issue. It very much looks to me like a chemical stain, not a mechanical scratch. I doubt it would be visible on the negative. I suspect a dirty roller in the processing machine.

Sometimes, labs do too little 120 (and too little cleaning) and the rollers on their processors attract some buildup at the edge of 35mm. That’s what this looks like to me.

Rick “it’s happened to me” Denney
05-20-2018, 05:43 PM   #15
Pentaxian

If you cannot see it on the negatives anywhere, it must be due to scanning. I read that an uneven or unstable position of a Screen Cezanne scanner can have such effects, don't know about the Fuji.