Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2018, 04:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
In the UK, Fuji made their XPro1 APS-C work by giving away two free £300+ lenses with every £1100 body sold. There are already a lot of Fuji GF refurbished cameras (£2000 reduction) & lenses (£1000 reduction) available in the UK (why are so many being refurbished?). Fuji need a roadmap for MF lenses - Pentax hit the ground running with about 14 existing FA lenses (some being very desirable & exotic pieces of glass), all of them working seamlessly with the D & Z. What additional lenses would you really need? PENTAX 645 Z - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S. Fuji have 6 primes, a zoom and a teleconverter.

I think its not necessarily which lenses we need, but more of a refresh of whats available. If i had to give an answer id say something in the 20-25mm focal length. Then a refresh allowing for silent autofocas and weather resistance across the line especially in the normal to long zoom range much like what the 28-45mm is. Also if there was an addition of some more ois lenses unless they did something with the next Iteration of the MF body which besides ibis, would add slight size reduction along with maybe gps and wifi.

05-22-2018, 08:06 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
I think its not necessarily which lenses we need, but more of a refresh of whats available. If i had to give an answer id say something in the 20-25mm focal length. Then a refresh allowing for silent autofocas and weather resistance across the line especially in the normal to long zoom range much like what the 28-45mm is. Also if there was an addition of some more ois lenses unless they did something with the next Iteration of the MF body which besides ibis, would add slight size reduction along with maybe gps and wifi.

All that is reasonable. IBIS would minimize the lack of stabilization in the lenses. WiFi is easy to do with a Toshiba FlashAir card in slot two, but GPS wouldn’t be terrible.

And a really short prime that is not so hopelessly expensive as the 25 was would be nice. Put it in a tilt-shift barrel (a la the Canon 17TSE) and more pros would be attracted, plus it would leapfrog the Fuji lens.

Rick “realizing that the preferred $400 for a new 25 might be a bit unrealistic” Denney
05-25-2018, 03:32 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I've held both the Fuji and the Hassie. Both are not great to hold. It's not about weight, but how it feels in the hand. To get even a similar feel in the hand to the Z, you have to shell out for the battery grip for the Fuji and that just leaves you with the need for spare batteries to feed the EVF. Full disclosure, I have the Sony A7R3 so do work with both OVF and EVF. I'd love Pentax to come out with something ultra wide...
05-25-2018, 09:04 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I've held both the Fuji and the Hassie. Both are not great to hold. It's not about weight, but how it feels in the hand. To get even a similar feel in the hand to the Z, you have to shell out for the battery grip for the Fuji and that just leaves you with the need for spare batteries to feed the EVF. Full disclosure, I have the Sony A7R3 so do work with both OVF and EVF. I'd love Pentax to come out with something ultra wide...

I think it is subjective. I own both the fuji and pentax and think the both feel great to me, except for the strap connectors which is horrible on the fuji. The other part that is horrible with the fuji is the evf lag/freeze when panning, it makes makes me sick. With that being said image quality is the similar to where i dont have to color correct the fuji but do have to remove a magenta cast on the pentax model. There are work arounds for not using as much battery on the fuji such as turn off everything except for the evf, etc...

05-27-2018, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #20

Original Poster
Coming back to the original question

Wow, I knew this was a bit of a wide question, but did not think I would get this scope of answers. Let me remind you: the Fuji GFX is no use to me as I do not get on with EVFs. The only alternatives for me are the PhaseOne (way too expensive, too big and heavy) and Hasselblad H series (same applies). So in effect, I will stay with Pentax.

Yes, the 645 is big and heavy, but I am fine with this. If I want a small and lightweight camera, I take my Nikon D610. If I want to enjoy photography, I take the 645.
What has really helped me is the long-term perspective that rdenney has so eloquently painted: no matter what (if anything) succeeds the 645Z, it will always be a good camera. Up to a point, this is exactly the experience I am having with my 'ancient' 645D. So in the end I find myself in a good position: wait for a good 645Z offer to drive by while enjoying my 645D. If Pentax release a new and fantastic 645Z successor (I really wish them well with this), then the Z will lose value as it will be so outmoded. If Pentax gets out of MF altogether, the Z will lose value up to a point, as professionals will get out of it. Either way, I will probably get another 15 years out of the Pentax system, probably just enough for me.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Rainer