Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2018, 04:17 PM   #1

shutter mechanism problem on Pentax 6x7 MLU

Hi, I recently got a pangas 6x7 for a good deal. it had a problem where on some shutter speeds the shutter would stay open after pressing the shutter button. in order to get the mirror to come down, I had to remove and reinsert the battery. this would work. After growing tired of this, I found a discussion and video demonstration on how to "fix" this problem.( Pentax 6X7 & 67: Mirror stuck repair ? Step-by-step guide & Maintenance ) after following through with the steps exactly, My camera has been left in a state in which I cannot opera it. the mirror is all the way up. and the cloth shutter is inside of the camera (where I cannot see it). I cannot cock the shutter, shutter button does nothing. what am I to do? does anyone have any ideas? I feel it may be simple.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7 Plus  Photo 
05-29-2018, 05:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Mine did this after many years of use. I sent it off for repair. I suggest you do the same, especially after trying to fix it yourself.
05-29-2018, 06:24 PM   #3

Eric Hendrickson repair 6x7s. Contact him.

Home-Pentaxs
05-30-2018, 08:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Eric Hendrickson repair 6x7s. Contact him.

Home-Pentaxs
+1 for Eric, he'll take care of it.

Phil.

05-30-2018, 05:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
At least Eric might give you a discount for saving him a good half effort of disassembling the camera!
As much as Sasha's DIY Pentax 6x7 servicing is well-intentioned and informative, these cameras have complexity of their internal operation that requires a clear head and an informed pathway of testing, servicing and/or replacement, and thus it definitely is a job for Eric from start to finish.
If the solenoid is faulty (it's often the first thing to come to notice with irregular operation), the only action that can be taken is to replace it with another from a like-body. This introduces redundancy and unreliability as new parts are not available. Sometimes a bit of "exercise" and cleaning may get the solenoid working normally for a time.
05-30-2018, 07:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
At least Eric might give you a discount for saving him a good half effort of disassembling the camera!
As much as Sasha's DIY Pentax 6x7 servicing is well-intentioned and informative, these cameras have complexity of their internal operation that requires a clear head and an informed pathway of testing, servicing and/or replacement, and thus it definitely is a job for Eric from start to finish.
If the solenoid is faulty (it's often the first thing to come to notice with irregular operation), the only action that can be taken is to replace it with another from a like-body. This introduces redundancy and unreliability as new parts are not available. Sometimes a bit of "exercise" and cleaning may get the solenoid working normally for a time.
Do you think it is worth it to send to Eric then? Or cheaper/ more smart to just buy a new body and sell this one as parts?
05-30-2018, 08:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gavett.jake Quote
Do you think it is worth it to send to Eric then? Or cheaper/ more smart to just buy a new body and sell this one as parts?

I think it is a good idea to send the camera to Eric for assessment.
The camera you have, the Pentax 6x7, is one of the older models from 1969 onward — count the years!

No doubt he's seen problems like this many times over and can probably fix it. All owners of these cameras have to be aware of their age and the redundancy of parts which have to be cannibalised from like-cameras. Keep an open mind about repair/replacement [of a camera].
I expect my own Pentax 67 will fumble and foible, but goodness knows just when (hopefully not in the middle of a critical shoot or when travelling! )

05-31-2018, 09:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gavett.jake Quote
It could depend on the cost of the repair. But some thoughts to consider. If, say, you repaired the camera, no doubt you'd also ask for a good clean, lube and adjustment to go with that. Now you'd have a camera in known good shape if nothing else breaks in the near future.

Buying a 30+ year old 6x7 generation camera has some uncertainty again too. A 67II would not be as old with a better chance of reliability but cost way more than a 6x7. And a 67 generation somewhere in between. Consider that in cost of the repair.