Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2018, 01:17 PM   #1

Pentax 67ii + flash AF500FTZ problem with TTL

Hi guys,

So I need an help as I can't figure it out myself.
I have a Pentax 67ii and i want to use the flash AF500FTZ in TTL. I have the grip with the 5p connection in it and the short cable.
As a 645NII user, when using the flash on TTL it was showing the distance range of the flash according to the aperture set to the lens. When using the same flash on the 67II the flash doesn't seems to give me this information. I am not sure if it is meant to be like this or I am missing something,

I meter the flash power with an external light meter and when changing the aperture it also changes the flash power but I am not sure if it gives me the TTL reading

Any of you as the same experience and can share it with me?

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

05-31-2018, 01:43 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The AF500FTZ and 645N(x) were designed for each other, it seems. Or maybe more like the 645N was adapted to the AF500FTZ, because the flash "accounts" for the different focal plane size and reports (as I recall) its beam divergence as being that of a shorter focal length lens than is actually mounted on the 645N (at least if the lens is FA). The flash's manual does not mention the 645 as I recall, but the 645N operating guide addresses the flash.

Does the 67II operating guide describe functionality with this flash? Also check the flash's manual; as I recall, there are some limitations to reporting distance.

As you might discern, I don't have a 67 of any version, so I am only guessing here.

See my write up on the AF500FTZ in the equipment review section. There are multi-flash TTL capabilities, and the flash can be operated from Quantum Turbo Batteries.

Last edited by kaseki; 06-02-2018 at 06:08 AM.
06-01-2018, 01:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You didn't say what lens you are using. Surely this will have some significance ...?
06-01-2018, 08:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Using the AF500FTZ on the 67ii means you loose some features, mostly due to the 6x7 lenses/cameras having no info contacts.

- The Auto Zoom function will not work on the 67ii and you have to adjust the lens local length manually.
- The effective flash range will not display as the 6x7 lenses/cameras do not have the lens contacts to display this information.

Phil.

06-02-2018, 02:32 AM   #5
Sal

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Using the AF500FTZ on the 67ii means you loose some features, mostly due to the 6x7 lenses/cameras having no info contacts.

- The Auto Zoom function will not work on the 67ii and you have to adjust the lens local length manually.
- The effective flash range will not display as the 6x7 lenses/cameras do not have the lens contacts to display this information.

Phil.
Hi Phil, thank you for your reply. So what flash will work in TTL with a Pentax 67ii? And how can I make sure the TTL works, I mean is there something that had to show in the LCD of the flash?

Thanks
06-02-2018, 05:54 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You do need to set the flash to TTL mode.

If you want to test it, and have a flash meter, you can try photographing something with the flash aimed forward versus the flash aimed somewhat away. In each case the flash meter is set at the flash aimpoint. You should see that the flash power increases when less is making it into the camera lens. Alternatively, comparison with a neutral density filter on and off the camera could be used with the flash aimed forward toward the flash meter which is located at the camera aimpoint.

Another approach would be a light sensor and fast timer, such as a shutter timer, could detect that the flash duration becomes longer as the flash transmission to the camera is reduced.

---------- Post added 2nd Jun 2018 at 09:06 ----------

An electronics approach would be to use one of the Pentax 5P cables and connect it to the upper flash port (this is directly wired to the flash hot shoe). The cable would then be connected to one of the cable-compatible hot shoe F adapters Pentax sells. Some type of hot shoe pin out device would be needed for connecting a dual trace oscilloscope to the quench signal lead vs. ground and trigger signal vs. ground. TTL would be recognized by quench signal delay timing changes with distance to the camera target.

But the only way to know that all is well is to take photographs and see if the lighting is as expected.
06-02-2018, 06:31 AM   #7
Sal

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
You do need to set the flash to TTL mode.

If you want to test it, and have a flash meter, you can try photographing something with the flash aimed forward versus the flash aimed somewhat away. In each case the flash meter is set at the flash aimpoint. You should see that the flash power increases when less is making it into the camera lens. Alternatively, comparison with a neutral density filter on and off the camera could be used with the flash aimed forward toward the flash meter which is located at the camera aimpoint.

Another approach would be a light sensor and fast timer, such as a shutter timer, could detect that the flash duration becomes longer as the flash transmission to the camera is reduced.

---------- Post added 2nd Jun 2018 at 09:06 ----------

An electronics approach would be to use one of the Pentax 5P cables and connect it to the upper flash port (this is directly wired to the flash hot shoe). The cable would then be connected to one of the cable-compatible hot shoe F adapters Pentax sells. Some type of hot shoe pin out device would be needed for connecting a dual trace oscilloscope to the quench signal lead vs. ground and trigger signal vs. ground. TTL would be recognized by quench signal delay timing changes with distance to the camera target.

But the only way to know that all is well is to take photographs and see if the lighting is as expected.
Thanks Kaseki. Yeah flash mode in on TTL and I will wait till Monday to have my negative developped. It just weird as this camera is very popular there is so less information about it.

Will post some pictures when ready

06-02-2018, 08:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sal Quote
Hi Phil, thank you for your reply. So what flash will work in TTL with a Pentax 67ii? And how can I make sure the TTL works, I mean is there something that had to show in the LCD of the flash?

Thanks
I have a 67ii & AF500FTZ and TTL flash works with no issues, but it works a bit differently than with other Pentax cameras.

Here are the two manuals you need to read through, they will give you all the info you need. Especially the flash manual, it has sections dedicated to using it on a 67ii: Also read through the TTL flash section at the back of the 67ii manual, it covers all the flashes that will work with the 67ii body.

http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/pentax_af500ftz.pdf

http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_67_ii.pdf

Good luck and the results you can get with this body/flash combo are worth the effort. Of course the lens also helps!

Phil.
06-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #9
Sal

Original Poster
I have a 67ii & AF500FTZ and TTL flash works with no issues, but it works a bit differently than with other Pentax cameras.

Here are the two manuals you need to read through, they will give you all the info you need. Especially the flash manual, it has sections dedicated to using it on a 67ii: Also read through the TTL flash section at the back of the 67ii manual, it covers all the flashes that will work with the 67ii body.

http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/pentax_af500ftz.pdf

http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_67_ii.pdf

Good luck and the results you can get with this body/flash combo are worth the effort. Of course the lens also helps!

Phil.
hi Phil, thank you. Happy to hear that it works for you. I am doing some test roll and will give them to the lab next week to see the results. I have both manuals, can you tell me where i can find the information on the flash manual related to the 67II? I can't find it
thank you
06-02-2018, 03:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have both manuals, can you tell me where i can find the information on the flash manual related to the 67II? I can't find it
Oh my there seems to be different versions of the AF500FTZ manual.

Mine is dated 1991 and has all the 645 & 67ii information. The link I posted must be a newer version and this info was deleted.

I'll scan the pages for you next week at work and post them in this thread.

Phil.
06-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #11
Sal

Original Poster
Oh my there seems to be different versions of the AF500FTZ manual.

Mine is dated 1991 and has all the 645 & 67ii information. The link I posted must be a newer version and this info was deleted.

I'll scan the pages for you next week at work and post them in this thread.

Phil.
thank you very much
06-03-2018, 11:50 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

gofour3: Thanks in advance from me also. My 500 manual is copyright 1992 and also lacks 645 information. I didn't know that there was a different one.

kas
06-05-2018, 07:46 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thank you very much
gofour3: Thanks in advance from me also. My 500 manual is copyright 1992 and also lacks 645 information. I didn't know that there was a different one.
Hi:

I have scanned the 645/67ii parts of my AF500FTZ manual. Please see the attached pdf file.

Hope this helps.

Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Pentax AF500FTZ.pdf (478.9 KB, 92 views)
06-05-2018, 04:50 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi:

I have scanned the 645/67ii parts of my AF500FTZ manual. Please see the attached pdf file.

Hope this helps.

Phil.
Thanks!
06-06-2018, 12:05 AM   #15
Sal

Original Poster
Thanks!
thank you!! Very helpful

---------- Post added 06-06-18 at 12:05 AM ----------

Hi:

Hope this helps.

Phil.
thank you! Very helpful!