Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lens question: FA 35 vs. DFA 35

I see 4 differences between them:
  • push-pull vs. switch AF-manual
  • 8 blades vs. 9
  • SMC vs. the newer coatings
  • no quick shift in the FA; yes on the DFA
But the elements/groups count is the same, so same optical formula? In the user reviews the DFA gets the best score, but if the elements count and groups are the same, then does anyone know if the design is the same? And if it is, besides the coatings, wouldn't the performance be pretty much the same? Anyone know?

07-22-2018, 03:16 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What DFA? There is a FA 35/2 and the DA 35/2.8 Macro. There is also the DA 35/2.4 with a plastic mount...
07-22-2018, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
  • 8 blades vs. 9
But the elements/groups count is the same, so same optical formula? In the user reviews the DFA gets the best score, but if the elements count and groups are the same, then does anyone know if the design is the same? And if it is, besides the coatings, wouldn't the performance be pretty much the same? Anyone know?
AFAIK it's the same optics. At the end of the day I think you'll see very similar performance, especially considering that lens corrections are available for both.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
What DFA? There is a FA 35/2 and the DA 35/2.8 Macro. There is also the DA 35/2.4 with a plastic mount...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-22-2018, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is the Medium Format forum

07-22-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It got me too. I thought the user was confusing the DFA 50 up with a new DFA 35... whoops!
07-22-2018, 05:49 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
This is the Medium Format forum

These peasants with their little 35mm things don't understand anything!
07-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
AFAIK it's the same optics. At the end of the day I think you'll see very similar performance, especially considering that lens corrections are available for both.
Thanks, Adam! Would make sense....the DFA seems just to be a tweaked update. Too bad they didn't go as far as to make it WR or WP. I could see the coatings making for a slightly better performance-----it could make for a slight uptick in sharpness that others have noted by eliminating more flare. I wouldn't think the blades would make a difference.

I asked because I just got a good deal on a used FA here, upgrading my A (AF would make some work I'm doing lately just a touch easier). It will be interesting to see if I can tell a difference in IQ between the 2.

07-22-2018, 06:38 PM   #8
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
These peasants with their little 35mm things don't understand anything!
Hi Clackers

Now...Now....Play ..Nice

Dave
07-22-2018, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Clackers

Now...Now....Play ..Nice

Dave
Dave, I don't even have one, it's a joke, mate.

I'm one of the 'peasants'.

Last edited by clackers; 07-23-2018 at 12:05 AM.
07-22-2018, 07:21 PM   #10
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Dave, I don't even have one, it's a joke, mate.
Hi Clackers

Nor do I

I gathered that

I'll have to use j/k since emojoi's dont display on quick reply

Dave

Dave
07-22-2018, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
It got me too. I thought the user was confusing the DFA 50 up with a new DFA 35... whoops!
I knew there was a reason I used to keep this forum on ignore...I've also read 5 books in the last 7 days, my brain is turning to goo...
07-22-2018, 11:08 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
  • 8 blades vs. 9
The FA 35 has 6 blades, not 8. This can make quite a difference to the bokeh
I recently bought a used one and Sharpness is excellent but erratic AF is a distinguishing feature too. See also https://www.lenstip.com/254.1-Lens_review- for autofocus issue
07-23-2018, 02:22 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by dlai Quote
The FA 35 has 6 blades, not 8. .........
Well mine has 8 blades...are you in the medium format forum without realising it?

Bob
07-23-2018, 03:27 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlai Quote
The FA 35 has 6 blades, not 8.
The confusion continues

To clarify, the discussion is about the SMC Pentax-FA 645 1:3.5 35mm AL [IF] and the HD Pentax-D FA 645 1:3.5 35mm AL [IF]

On topic, I have only used the latter, so can't really help from my own experience.
The forum review page does have this comment though: "It retained the optical design of the FA lens but with some tweaks of the aspherical elements and the aperture blades became rounded for a nicer bokeh."
07-23-2018, 06:28 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The forum review page does have this comment though: "It retained the optical design of the FA lens but with some tweaks of the aspherical elements and the aperture blades became rounded for a nicer bokeh."
Thanks, Sandy---I missed that. the latter doesn't interest me much, but the former.....we shall see. As long as it's not worse then the A, I guess I'm ok, since I mainly got it for the AF (doing a bunch of very low light work with flash. Also, my eyes continue to deteriorate, even though they are not that bad).