Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2018, 02:01 AM   #16

Original Poster
Yeah... I've been expecting that disappointment...

08-03-2018, 06:38 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pkr1979 Quote
Yeah... I've been expecting that disappointment...
And then there's this: Cambo Actus

They do have one that can use a Pentax K mount camera. They might have lens adapters for Pentax 645/67, I don't remember. It's on my radar in the event I have to do more work that requires it---so far, no.

You still have the wide angle problem, which is why I didn't get one when I had an A7R.
08-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #18
Pentaxian

another idea, if you want movements on medium format digital is the Hasselblad Flexbody or Arcbody. I don't know much about them, but they are basically a replacement body that takes a lens in the front and a film back in the back, but allow some degree of movement. They were designed for film, but there are digital backs that would work. It might be a bit of a frankenstein camera, but would certainly be interesting.

08-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hasselblad Arcbody vs. Flexbody | Photo.net Photography Forums This seems relevant as it talks about the Flexbody, the Arcbody and some alternatives and why to use what. The info I found. The flexbody has very limited shift and is mainly designed to support shifting the plane of focus not correcting for architecture. The limitation is the Hasselblad lens image circle which limits the amount of movement permitted. The Arcbody only offers shift not tilt but has a wider range since it relies on large format lenses with the larger image circles offered there.

08-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #20
Pentaxian

additionally, they are both "slow". there is no more mirror and viewfinder, since the perspective control stuff has such a small space to function. As far as I can tell, like large format they are designed to be tripod mounted with a ground glass at the back, then when taking a picture, remove the ground glass and replace it with the film back and take the picture. Theoretically a digital back could give you a live view, but that would be dependent on the back. The PhaseOne back doesn't work that way (and it only seems to support the FlexBody, not the ArcBody):

Phase One

EDIT: The Medium Format film camera that would be ideal is the Fuji GX680. I don't know if there are any digital backs for it, but it has front movements and a mirror box (though not particularly portable.)

EDIT2: Really bad english, but it sounds like this GX680 is modified to accept digital backs, which would imply that others don't work with digital backs unless modified.

Last edited by abruzzi; 08-03-2018 at 03:26 PM.
08-03-2018, 04:18 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are viewfinders available but they fit on when the back is removed. So like you indicated - it is like a mini-view camera.
08-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hasselblad made (and the Soviets copied) a ground-glass back that would mount in lieu of a film back. It had rails than would hold the old-style Hasseblad chimney finder. That was the viewing mechanism for these cameras, and the SWC. The SWC also has a viewfinder, but that was no help for the Arcbody, etc.

These cameras were made so that a guy already invested in ‘blad stuff could add the capability, but it was severely compromised—even more than using TSE lenses on a Canon. I’d rather put a Hasselblad back adapter on a Sinar P, or even better a P3, Arca or Linhof medium-format view camera.

Rick “who has the Soviet copy plus a genuine ‘blad chimney finder somewhere around here” Denney