Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2018, 12:56 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax 645 Tilt Shift

Hi all,

I'm searching for tilt shift possibilities for the Pentax 645N, and find very few options. Does anyone know why - is it because of the size of the house?

Preferably I'd like bellows, but tilt/shift lenses/adapters are also of interest - does anyone have any tips or experience regarding this?

Cheers
Peter

07-31-2018, 01:11 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's some info on this topic here, with an interesting discussion about Schneider:

645 Tilt Shift - PentaxForums.com

Here's one option:

HARTBLEI Digital 45mm Super-Rotator Tilt Shift Lens Medium Format New Version - Lenses - Hartblei Tilt-Shift Super-Rotator Lenses and Adapters

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-31-2018, 02:32 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Adam,

I saw that thread, and I found it interesting too. I sent Cambo (I think) an email a long time ago on why they havent made any bellows for the 645... like they have for Nikon and Canon... and if I recall correctly they said the mirror and house was to big to make anything focus on infinity(?).

I find the Hartblei to be too wide on medium format for what I do. Something like a 67 to 645 tiltshift adapter would have been nice - but I dont really know how much movement that would give. I know Zoerk makes adapters that way for just shift, and that he makes tilt adapters to be used with longer lenses... But then its too long... tilt shift possibilites from 75-100 would have been great.

Cheers :-)
07-31-2018, 08:30 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Should not be difficult to achieve the same effects (tilt-shift) with lightroom using a couple of different processes.

07-31-2018, 08:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is also the 55mm Arsat PCS, which provides shift only. It requires a Pentacon 6-to-Pentax 645 adapter, which is available from Hartblei, Arax, and several others.

The Zoerk adapter is expensive, but opens the door to P67 lenses.

And the P67 75mm shift lens can be adapted.

There is no camera adapter to mount a P645 on a view camera. I have one to mount my Canon DSLR in lieu of the rear fram on a Sinar P, and it works well with longer lenses, or for table-top product photography.

I would love a similar setup for my 645z.

Rick “who used a 210mm lens for the above—more than long enough to avoid the mirror box on a 645” Denney
07-31-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Talk to these guys? Zörk Pro Shift adapter
07-31-2018, 09:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Should not be difficult to achieve the same effects (tilt-shift) with lightroom using a couple of different processes.
Some applications of the tilt/shift lens could be done with Photoshop, while others would be impossible.

Last edited by leekil; 07-31-2018 at 10:08 AM.
07-31-2018, 12:53 PM   #8

I have the Zoerk Pro Shift Adapter and have used both the P67 45mm and the P67 55mm (late version) lenses with it. Works great.

I'm considering selling it (with the 45mm lens), though, as I've recently moved to the Phase One P65+.
07-31-2018, 11:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sarnian Quote
I have the Zoerk Pro Shift Adapter and have used both the P67 45mm and the P67 55mm (late version) lenses with it. Works great.

I'm considering selling it (with the 45mm lens), though, as I've recently moved to the Phase One P65+.
Hi Sarnian - any images to show? Interested to see the field of view after stitching...Thks & Rgds
08-02-2018, 06:20 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
These guys might be onto something: Adapter Rings Bellows and Follow Focus Lenses - NOVOFLEX Präzisionstechnik GmbH
Nothing shorter than a 90mm though :-)
08-02-2018, 07:27 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

The difficulty here IMO is that in one significant use-case, architectural work, I think a 45 in DMF a kind of maximum FL. Larger than that approaches "normal", when where you really want to go is wide. In FF land, TS and TSE lenses are 24's, and then the outstanding Canon 17.

I have the rare Hartblei 45 shift for my Z, which is an adequate lens but no great shakes. Here is a spot I wish Pentax would partner with someone to come up with something more "native". I think this is more important than LS lenses, since there are now options for HSS with the Z.
08-02-2018, 10:19 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry for being dense. There are a lot of abbreviations in the last post. TS = tilt and shift, what is TSE? LS is leaf shutter right? DMF? FF is 35mm full frame not 645 full frame right?
08-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Sorry for being dense. There are a lot of abbreviations in the last post. TS = tilt and shift, what is TSE?
TSE is with electronic contacts
QuoteQuote:
LS is leaf shutter right?
yes
QuoteQuote:
DMF?
Digital Medium Format
QuoteQuote:
FF is 35mm full frame not 645 full frame right?
yes, in my post.
08-03-2018, 12:13 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
I agree. Im considering getting into digital medium format. But its kindof crucial to have the ability to do movements. I usually shoot 8x10 and tend to use it quite abit. As I allready have the Pentax 645N and a few lenses for that, getting just the Z house used is within reach, but I really do wish there where more options for tiltshift movements. But it seems to me that the large mirror house is an obstacle for that.
08-03-2018, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pkr1979 Quote
I agree. Im considering getting into digital medium format. But its kindof crucial to have the ability to do movements. I usually shoot 8x10 and tend to use it quite abit. As I allready have the Pentax 645N and a few lenses for that, getting just the Z house used is within reach, but I really do wish there where more options for tiltshift movements. But it seems to me that the large mirror house is an obstacle for that.

If you are hoping for a fully capable mini view camera, you will be disappointed. You have to use the tool for work for which the tool is suited. When I use a view camera, it’s sometimes because I need the movements and sometimes because I want the big format. I don’t need movements for most photos, and indeed even when I’m using a large-format camera I don’t always have movements. The Pentax covers those cases reasonably (just as my Pentax 67 does), but not the cases where I really need movements.

If you must have a digital view camera, you have to spend the money for a digital back and a view camera with movements precise enough for the smaller format of the digital back. But that is just not what the Pentax is for.

The shift lenses are all compromises, and even the tilt-shift lenses for small format are compromises. I struggle to make a Canon work with the 24 TSE lens—it’s difficult to adjust the tilt precisely given how little is needed even for table-top shots, and the tilt and shift are not sufficiently independent. I can get the same effect with my Sinar far more easily.

Rick “don’t hire a cat to do a dog’s job” Denney