Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2018, 01:42 PM   #1

645Z and legacy glass

Please forgive my ignorance concerning anything Pentax other than FF Takumar lenses. I shoot FF Canon and L glass, and adapt very many (30+) old M42 mount lenses to that camera too.

However, I do have some questions regarding the 645Z and possible legacy glass adaptations. Are the 67 and 6x7 lenses the same mount lenses and can they be adapted to the 645Z?

For me the 645Z would be a huge investment. There are two modern lenses I would want to get with it, but I would have to save for a while to add them (In particular the Pentax 645D FA 90mm F2.8 ED AW SR Lens. I'm a portrait guy). In the meantime, I think the old manual focus lenses would be fun if they can be adapted.

Thanks!

08-10-2018, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

All Pentax 67 versions used the same mount and those lenses can be used on the Z with adapter. There were 30 optically different lenses made for this system and there is performance differences between them, so investigation is required to make choices between them. Of course the 645 film lenses are an easier choice because no adapter is needed.
08-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
All Pentax 67 versions used the same mount and those lenses can be used on the Z with adapter. There were 30 optically different lenses made for this system and there is performance differences between them, so investigation is required to make choices between them. Of course the 645 film lenses are an easier choice because no adapter is needed.
Thank you so much for your response! Thanks for all the information. It is greatly appreciated.

I assume the field of view is different between FF and medium format just like APS-c and FF? If I am correct, then a 90mm medium format lens will provide the same field of view as a 55mm on ff? If that is the case then maybe I should look for something longer for portraits in addition to the 90mm. I'll check out flickr to have a look.

Thanks again!

Charles
08-10-2018, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chazthebiker Quote
Thank you so much for your response! Thanks for all the information. It is greatly appreciated.

I assume the field of view is different between FF and medium format just like APS-c and FF? If I am correct, then a 90mm medium format lens will provide the same field of view as a 55mm on ff? If that is the case then maybe I should look for something longer for portraits in addition to the 90mm. I'll check out flickr to have a look.

Thanks again!

Charles
QuoteOriginally posted by chazthebiker Quote
More or less, but because the 645Z sensor is itself "cropped" compared to 645 film, the crop factor between it and FF is not as dramatic at 0.79x. You'd be looking at closer to 70mm.

Here is a table with some quick conversions:

The Crop Factor Unmasked - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

As for adapting 6x7 lenses, it's actually really handy because the camera can sense the position of the aperture ring, so you get full Av and M support.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-10-2018, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The P6x7 bodies have two lens mounts, an inner bayonet for the shorter lenses and an outer bayonet for longer lenses (the outer bayonet lenses do not support open-aperture metering). The Pentax 6x7 -> 645 adapter supports both mounts but independent ones may not. That aside, I'd always recommend the Pentax adapter on a D or Z. The Pentax adapter supports manual & aperture priority exposure modes, and the D & Z bodies will display focus confirmation with 6x7 lenses.

The 'crop factor' feels more complicated because you're comparing full frame 6x7 format lenses with 'cropped' 645 format (a substantial difference). It works the same way as APS-C & FF - I.e. the focal lengths remain the same - you're just using the centre portion of the lenses. The diagonal of the Z is 55mm (equivalent to about 43mm on FF), thus a traditional 'portrait' lens is likely to be roughly double that (depending on personal taste).

6x7 lenses spanned decades of production, in that time some lenses remained fairly static (but were renamed as the years passed), many went through several different versions, some like the zooms were only available later on. The lens reviews cover the different versions of each lens - generally the 'later' versions are optically better than the earlier ones but use more plastic instead of metal: Pentax 67 Medium Format Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Last edited by johnha; 08-10-2018 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typo correction
08-10-2018, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

It is interesting that Pentax abandoned the outer bay use on their newer telephotos, the 400 and 800 EDIF lenses. After using two of these outer bay lenses, I must say that this was a good idea. They are a pain to use, mostly due to the mounting on the body and the mounting of tubes or converters.

The P67 105mm f/2.4 may be a good choice for portraits with the Z.
08-10-2018, 06:13 PM   #7

Original Poster
Guys, thanks so much.
08-10-2018, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Gallery
yes, Pentax has an original adapter, it does not lose the photometry if you want to use Lens 67 on it.
You can use hasselblad V lenses also with use 150mm 2.8 and 50mm 2.8 great results.