Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2018, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Gallery
Both pictures are front focused. That usually means the screen has not been shimmed correctly (the screen is closer to the lens than the film plane). The dented prism is unlikely to be the problem, unless it is pushing down on the screen (easy to check any damage to the bottom of the prism).

The likely culprits are: incorrectly installed focus screen; Mirror loose or mirror stop out of adjustment; Film pressure plate not holding film against the gate.

This is not an uncommon issue with old SLR equipment.

08-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sedrick Quote
So now it seems you’re suspecting an issue with the mirror. In that case I have a few questions.

How much would I be looking at to repair this? I don’t have a ton of money right now.

Where could I get it repaired?

Would it be more cost effective to just sell it for parts and shop for a new body?
I would send it to Eric (pentaxs.com) I don't know exactly what he charges for a 6x7 CLA but his prices are very reasonable. That way you know it's basically good as new, whereas another used body maybe there'll be something up with that one too.
08-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
I would send it to Eric (pentaxs.com) I don't know exactly what he charges for a 6x7 CLA but his prices are very reasonable. That way you know it's basically good as new, whereas another used body maybe there'll be something up with that one too.
Cool, I just shot him an email this morning to see if I could get some sort of estimate on cost.
08-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #19

probably it could have been the fall that damaged the prism, give a chance to the camera, test it without the prism, these cameras have option of focusing without the prima do the framing preferably without direct light and see if without the prism the focus is correct.

10-23-2018, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #20

Hi,

i was wondering if you had finally nailed the issue with your Pentax? I bought mine off ebay, shot my first roll with much enthusiasm, and while all shots are properly exposed, i'm facing the exact same issue as you have...
In the meantime, i have contacted the seller, waiting for any feedback ...

Thanks !
10-27-2018, 03:46 AM   #21

Perhaps check that the finder eyepiece of your prism hasn't been changed to a +/- diopter. The guy in this video explains how things weren't in focus until he discovered the eyepiece had been changed out at some point....

10-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #22

Hi John,

thanks for the feedback!

Today I tried my (only lens) 90mm f2.8 on another perfectly working body (Pentax 67 II), and the distances on the lens are perfect, while on mine, they're completely wrong (front focus by almost 1m). And all this by looking through the loupe on the waist level finder. By inspecting closer, I noticed that the mirror was a little bit raised on one of its corner, but not too sure if that raise could lead to such errors in distances...

10-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bkill Quote
Hi John,

thanks for the feedback!

Today I tried my (only lens) 90mm f2.8 on another perfectly working body (Pentax 67 II), and the distances on the lens are perfect, while on mine, they're completely wrong (front focus by almost 1m). And all this by looking through the loupe on the waist level finder. By inspecting closer, I noticed that the mirror was a little bit raised on one of its corner, but not too sure if that raise could lead to such errors in distances...

I misaligned mirror will indeed ruin focusing accuracy.

Rick “repair needed” Denney