Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2018, 09:30 AM   #1

Pentax 67 is having trouble advancing the film.

I have ran two rolls through my Pentax 67 and unfortunately both rolls came out with multiple exposures. I'm wonder what the problem maybe and how to get it fixed in the near future.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
QSS-32_33  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
QSS-32_33  Photo 
08-22-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 67shooter Quote
I have ran two rolls through my Pentax 67 and unfortunately both rolls came out with multiple exposures. I'm wonder what the problem maybe and how to get it fixed in the near future.
Welcome to the forum!

Is this a new to you camera, has it ever worked properly?

One thing to check is the film type setting, should be on 120 on the camera and on the pressure plate inside the camera. (Assuming you are using 120 film and not 220)

Here is a copy of the manual for your reference:

Pentax 67 Manual

Phil.
08-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, as with Phil's response, match the position of the pressure plate with the film -- 120 or 220 (220 has no paper backing and is thus much thinner). I was also thinking of a winding mechanism error e.g. a partially stripped pawl that does not fully advance the film before the next frame. Also incomplete wind-on: with all of the Pentax 6x7 / 67 cameras (which designation do you have?), film winding is accomplished in one whole, complete stroke of the lever.
09-19-2018, 10:04 AM   #4

67 Stops Advancing Film Midway Through Roll

Hi All,

I am having trouble with my Pentax 67, it stops advancing film midway through roll. I can pull the lever but the film wont keep moving forward. The film is set to 120 on the right side of the camera and the camera back plate is set to 120 as well.

Does anyone know how to fix this or perhaps if this is a common issue, what does it cost to fix?

Thank in advance!

09-20-2018, 11:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vccuffee1 Quote
Hi All,

I am having trouble with my Pentax 67, it stops advancing film midway through roll. I can pull the lever but the film wont keep moving forward. The film is set to 120 on the right side of the camera and the camera back plate is set to 120 as well.

Does anyone know how to fix this or perhaps if this is a common issue, what does it cost to fix?

Thank in advance!

Unload the camera, even if it means sacrificing it to light, and examine the roll of film for any adhesions.
Second, examine the right-hand side take-up spool. Put in here an empty spool -- DO NOT LOAD FILM, and operate the wind-on lever. The spool should move with the winding motion in a gentle tick-tick-tick-tick feeling. The issue though may be that you did not secure the end of the film leader into the 'catch' of the spool, which has caused the film to not be engaged and by association, not fully moving across as a full frame each time the wind-on lever is operated, causing double exposures.

If after this check the same thing happens with the next roll, it could be a broken or stripped winding pawl in the wind-on lever. With very old Pentax 6x7 cameras (I haven't seen it as commonly in the newer Pentax 67 cameras) and those subject to a lot of heavy professional use, this is a common failing. Eric Hendrickson at pentaxs.com would be your next port of call for examination, and hopefully repairs. New parts are not available so replacements are taken from another camera for repair.
09-28-2018, 02:50 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a 67II, and unfortunately the multi-exposure slider caused a gear problem that was irreparable. SilentStreet gave a good suggestion.