Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2018, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #1

Pentax 6x7 MLU Polaroid/back door

Hey everyone! I know this topic has been brought up already but I’m curious to know if anyone can help. I just got an amazing deal on a 6x7. It came with the Polaroid NPC film back, TTL pentaprism finder, Takamur 55mm 3.5 lens and wooden handle. I read that you pretty much have to buy a new body just to have the regular back cover without the NPC. Is that correct? I did not know it had this installed until I saw it in person. I don’t think I would actually use it as I have projects planned for this camera with 120 film. Is there anywhere that I can just buy a back cover to replace it with? What was the biggest reason people wanted the Polaroid other than having an instant photo? The lady who I bought this from said her husband used this camera for shooting weddings. It also had an attachment for a tripod but I removed it for now. She had a ton more gear but I had a budget and did get a few other things but she didn’t have much more for this camera. She did throw in the original case in the deal though! I plan to use this for portraits and read that a 105mm lens is better suited so I have some hunting to do. Any info you guys can give me on my new camera would be greatly appreciated. In the mean time I’ll keep reading the manual and related posts to try to answer my questions. I’m going to try to attach some crappy photos I took with my iPad.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air  Photo 
08-26-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That MLU-optioned camera dates from around 1976, so it has quite a long vintage and will require care.

In professional practice, a polaroid back was most often used for proofing a shot e.g. lighting/poses etc, before substituting for roll film, in the same camera or in a second camera.

It should be possible to remove the Polaroid back and replace it with the original back for the Pentax 6x7 / 67 camera. Your problem from there is finding a replacement cover; they are certainly not made new so you might need to go through the eBay or used / second-hand dealers, possibly even purchasing another camera — yes, just for a back!!
Did you actually ask the seller if she knew if the original back was within the kit? You never know, she might just need a clue as to what it looked like among all the other stuff.

Another option is to run an enquiry to Eric at pentaxs.com who repairs these 6x7 / 67 cameras. He may be able to assist with a back, otherwise you are stuck with the Polaroid, which is not ideal.

Last edited by Silent Street; 08-26-2018 at 08:09 PM.
08-26-2018, 10:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Generally the owners of these cameras had the original back given to them to use if/when necessary. Sadly they didn't stay together.
08-27-2018, 07:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The backs on the 67 are not easily removable like on some other cameras. You have to peel back the leatherette to get to the screws to remove the back. Your best bet is to find a cheap trashed non-functional 67 to salvage the back off of. Sadly no one makes pack film any more and existing supply is getting expensive.

08-27-2018, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
That MLU-optioned camera dates from around 1976, so it has quite a long vintage and will require care.

In professional practice, a polaroid back was most often used for proofing a shot e.g. lighting/poses etc, before substituting for roll film, in the same camera or in a second camera.

It should be possible to remove the Polaroid back and replace it with the original back for the Pentax 6x7 / 67 camera. Your problem from there is finding a replacement cover; they are certainly not made new so you might need to go through the eBay or used / second-hand dealers, possibly even purchasing another camera — yes, just for a back!!
Did you actually ask the seller if she knew if the original back was within the kit? You never know, she might just need a clue as to what it looked like among all the other stuff.

Another option is to run an enquiry to Eric at pentaxs.com who repairs these 6x7 / 67 cameras. He may be able to assist with a back, otherwise you are stuck with the Polaroid, which is not ideal.

I had messaged the lady once I got home and asked her if she happens to stumble on the back cover to let me know. But she had a lot of stuff so I’m not holding high hopes for that. I contacted Erick and he had a spare cover! Thank you for the suggestion! I think down the road I’ll get another body to have both, but for now this will do.
08-27-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
The backs on the 67 are not easily removable like on some other cameras. You have to peel back the leatherette to get to the screws to remove the back. Your best bet is to find a cheap trashed non-functional 67 to salvage the back off of. Sadly no one makes pack film any more and existing supply is getting expensive.
A couple of weeks back a 6x7 appeared here with a rear cover removal nib visible in the side-on profile. The owner was not aware this was for removing the back cover easily compared to the method you have stated! I think it was a factory modification, rather like the multiple exposure facility was.
08-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

A couple of weeks back a 6x7 appeared here with a rear cover removal nib visible in the side-on profile. The owner was not aware this was for removing the back cover easily compared to the method you have stated! I think it was a factory modification, rather like the multiple exposure facility was.
yeah, I've seen that. it would be nice back inthe day to have that, and the same on a polaroid back, to take you test shots on polaroid, then swap the back out (assuming it had a dark slide) then swap on the regular back and load your roll of film. Then again, these days the polaroid back isn't particularly useful.

08-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Summer25 Quote
I plan to use this for portraits and read that a 105mm lens is better suited so I have some hunting to do. Any info you guys can give me on my new camera would be greatly appreciated.
Actually, the 105 is a bit short for portraits if you look at what has been traditionally used in the 35mm world for portraits (90mm & 100mm). I find the 6x7 150mm, 165 and 200 to be better suited for it.
08-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
Actually, the 105 is a bit short for portraits if you look at what has been traditionally used in the 35mm world for portraits (90mm & 100mm). I find the 6x7 150mm, 165 and 200 to be better suited for it.
I agree. Additionally, if you get your hands on either a 90mm f2.8 or 165mm f4 leaf shutter lens, you can then use studio strobes with higher speed sync than the camera's native 1/30s. I do not do many portraits, but the one I made was with an ordinary 90mm f2.8 lens.
08-27-2018, 04:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Sadly, Fuji stopped production of the last instant film for it years ago.
08-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Hmm... Fuji FP100c instant film [?]
08-27-2018, 08:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
There is someone trying to bring back pack film, I saw an article recently. I don't know how serious he is, it seems like a somewhat limited market (compared to instax or polaroid one-step.)
08-27-2018, 09:20 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
The 105mm is fine focal length for 3/4 to full body portraits.
08-28-2018, 07:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
There is someone trying to bring back pack film, I saw an article recently. I don't know how serious he is, it seems like a somewhat limited market (compared to instax or polaroid one-step.)
Yes, they produced a one time product from old chemical stock and sold it through crowdfunding. It seemed mediocre at best. I think they are related to the same people of impossible film, now called "Polaroid originals".
It's so sad that Fuji didn't think of the users. They could've just sold that part of the business, or make it independent, and keep producing it in some way or another. Or at least publish their know-how, so anybody bold enough could start producing it.

08-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Hmm... Fuji FP100c instant film [?]
Yes. First it was black and white, then the 4x5 size, then 4.25x3.25.