Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2018, 08:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Yes, they produced a one time product from old chemical stock and sold it through crowdfunding. It seemed mediocre at best. I think they are related to the same people of impossible film, now called "Polaroid originals".
It's so sad that Fuji didn't think of the users. They could've just sold that part of the business, or make it independent, and keep producing it in some way or another. Or at least publish their know-how, so anybody bold enough could start producing it.
you're thinking of New55 I think. This is someone starting from scratch. Like I said, I don't hold out much hope, pack film seems pretty niche.

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2018/08/21/florian-doc-kaps-gears-up-kickstarter-campaign/

08-28-2018, 05:36 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
I agree. Additionally, if you get your hands on either a 90mm f2.8 or 165mm f4 leaf shutter lens, you can then use studio strobes with higher speed sync than the camera's native 1/30s. I do not do many portraits, but the one I made was with an ordinary 90mm f2.8 lens.
I’ll have to do more research then and see which lens is best suited for what I’d like to shoot. I’ll def be doing full body shots so it needs to meet those needs. Thanks to those who suggested different lenses. Looks like I have homework to do.

---------- Post added 08-28-18 at 05:42 PM ----------

My camera is currently set up with a Takamur 6x7 55mm 3.5. Apparently he used this camera to shoot weddings. I also want to shoot landscapes especially with the Everglades around here. What is the best use for this lens I have?
08-28-2018, 07:56 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Summer25 Quote
What is the best use for this lens I have?
It's (55mm) a perfect FL for landscapes, so you are good to go.

Phil.
08-28-2018, 07:57 PM   #19
Veteran Member

A 55 on 6x7 is wide angle, equivalent to around 28mm on 35/full frame. I use mine as a landscape lens, but it probably too wide for most portraits. The 55 can also be good for architecture. It’s not so wide that it feels “warped wide” (my term and my opinion.). I’d suggest finding a150/2.8. It’s a great lens, in a common focal length for portraits, and it can be found cheap. I got mine mint for about $100. The 105/2.4 is a very nice lens, but the current bokeh obsession has driven up prices to $300+ for a good condition one.

08-29-2018, 08:00 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I think the 55mm does okay for people pictures.

08-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I never said you can't use it for people pictures, just that its not ideal for most types of portraits.
08-29-2018, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
I never said you can't use it for people pictures, just that its not ideal for most types of portraits.
Sure.

Perhaps this is what people mean for a portrait? It seems anytime focal lengths for portraits are talked about the classical head shot is what's inferred and the only kind of portrait too. Also, the longer focal lengths in the larger formats mean less distortion in the lenses for equivalent wide angle lenses in small format in general.

165mm LS

Last edited by tuco; 08-29-2018 at 02:04 PM.
08-29-2018, 01:23 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I also want to shoot landscapes especially with the Everglades around here
You could easily add the 45mm and 75 f/4.5 to your 55mm and have a pretty good landscape setup. Or you could go with the 55-100 zoom since they have come down a lot in price.
08-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
You could easily add the 45mm and 75 f/4.5 to your 55mm and have a pretty good landscape setup. Or you could go with the 55-100 zoom since they have come down a lot in price.
My vote is for the 45mm for landscape use and the 165mm LS (as per Tuco's example) for portraiture. Alternatively, either of the 90mm lenses are also good.

I have owned the 55mm lens but became annoyed by its clunky design, stiffness of focusing and overall lack of refined 'feel' compared to e.g. the squat 45mm and the elegant 75mm f2.8AL. That said, I created three of my all-time greatest images with the 55mm back in 2012, but I do not miss it.
08-30-2018, 05:48 AM   #25
Veteran Member

My vote is for the 45mm for landscape use and the 165mm LS (as per Tuco's example) for portraiture. Alternatively, either of the 90mm lenses are also good.

I have owned the 55mm lens but became annoyed by its clunky design, stiffness of focusing and overall lack of refined 'feel' compared to e.g. the squat 45mm and the elegant 75mm f2.8AL. That said, I created three of my all-time greatest images with the 55mm back in 2012, but I do not miss it.
Perhaps you'll love that FL if you get your hands on a 67 55/4? A sharp beast!

09-01-2018, 04:22 PM   #26

Original Poster

The lens is definitely clunky and I don't have a lens cap for it. Good news though, the replacement back cover from Erick came in the mail today! I'm one step closer to using this beast!

---------- Post added 09-01-18 at 04:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote

Great photos!

---------- Post added 09-01-18 at 04:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
A 55 on 6x7 is wide angle, equivalent to around 28mm on 35/full frame. I use mine as a landscape lens, but it probably too wide for most portraits. The 55 can also be good for architecture. It’s not so wide that it feels “warped wide” (my term and my opinion.). I’d suggest finding a150/2.8. It’s a great lens, in a common focal length for portraits, and it can be found cheap. I got mine mint for about $100. The 105/2.4 is a very nice lens, but the current bokeh obsession has driven up prices to $300+ for a good condition one.
I was searching and did notice a big price jump between the 2.4 and 2.8. I still have a bit of time to decide. For now I'm just going to do a couple test rolls with the 55mm and get comfortable with the camera before jumping into my portraiture project. In the mean time, anyone have any good articles or personal experience with shooting portraits that they can share. Mine is more towards the artistic route and not business type photos.
09-01-2018, 06:06 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The lens is definitely clunky and I don't have a lens cap for it. Good news though, the replacement back cover from Erick came in the mail today! I'm one step closer to using this beast!

---------- Post added 09-01-18 at 04:23 PM ----------

Great photos!

---------- Post added 09-01-18 at 04:26 PM ----------

I was searching and did notice a big price jump between the 2.4 and 2.8. I still have a bit of time to decide. For now I'm just going to do a couple test rolls with the 55mm and get comfortable with the camera before jumping into my portraiture project. In the mean time, anyone have any good articles or personal experience with shooting portraits that they can share. Mine is more towards the artistic route and not business type photos.
"Artistic route" portraiture. Hmm.
Does your 67 have the (rare) multi exposure facility on the right-hand side of the camera below the 120/220 film format selector? Cameras with this have been used for very interesting special effects using multi exposure with one lens or two over xx number of frames (no limit). I am attempting to find the fellow who did some of this here in Australia. I do have the ME facility on my 67 and that is only used in the landscape context, and not immediately evident when it has been applied!
10-05-2018, 11:49 AM   #28

The NPC Polaroid back you have (Summer25) was manufactured with a spring-loaded hinge pin, so that the back could be easily changed from the Polaroid back, to the normal camera back.

The hinge pin is activated by partially opening the camera back, using the right hand side of the back as normal, then, when the back is open by about 5cm there is a tiny slot head screw in the outside left-side hinge top. This tiny screw is the lever. Using your left thumb nail you can gently slide the hinge-pin down and release the entire camera back.

It's a bit tricky because you have to keep the back partially open as you do what I just described, being careful to keep the back in the same axis so that the pin slides down cleanly and smoothly.

The original camera back will have probably been adapted with the supplied (from NPC) replacement pin strip, which also included the tiny slot screw headed sliding pin.

So, now the regular camera back can be attached without having to remove the leather.

Pentax service centres were aware of this adaption and swapped over the left side pin strip for many owners that bought these NPC backs.

Many purchasers of the NPC Polaroid back would keep the original camera back in the the case that the NPC back came in.

That's basically it. I may have more info somewhere if you need it.

The original back is probably kicking around somewhere with all the other stuff where the camera came from.