Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 03:52 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Are you sure? 35mm "half-frame" was indeed 24x18mm, where as APS-C film was 25.1×16.7 mm. So actually larger in one dimension, but smaller in the other.

And then APS-C digital sensors are all different sizes (9 or more); most notably Canon (smaller) vs. everyone else (Sony, Toshiba, etc).

APS-C - Wikipedia

I guess we have to think of these not as precise standards, but rather as general categories.
Could be the case! APS-C could be a more generalised term. I believe half frame could be a variation of APS-C.

08-31-2018, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
APS was a defined film standard offering one film cartridge with the ability to use three different image formats (H, C & P) which could be switched mid-roll (see Advanced Photo System - Wikipedia). I think Nikon used a sensor similar in format to APS-H in some of their DSLRs?

There is no equivalent as far as DSLRs go (it's a film specification), but as many sensors are approximately the same size as APS-C, it has become a generic term for crop sensors that aren't 4/3rds (or smaller). Halfframe is nothing to do with APS, as it predates it by several decades.

John.
08-31-2018, 06:31 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
I think it might! Because it'll be more affordable! Affordable = more sales. Why spend 17k on a crop format medium format when you can get a full frame for almost the same price! How about that?[COLOR="Silver"]
I have no evidence to back this up but I assume that most purchasers of PhaseOne($55k) of H6D-100C($32k) systems are cooperation who need the absolute best; require enterprise level support; and want to show off to their clients that they have "the best of the best".
09-01-2018, 04:54 AM   #34

Don't forget that all Hasselblad and several Phase One lenses are leaf shutters, which means a lot for photographers wanting to control their lightings, and not only in studio. HSS is not a solution, and photographers who have invested a lot in studio lightings are not going to switch.

09-01-2018, 07:33 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SylvainB Quote
Don't forget that all Hasselblad and several Phase One lenses are leaf shutters, which means a lot for photographers wanting to control their lightings, and not only in studio. HSS is not a solution, and photographers who have invested a lot in studio lightings are not going to switch.
What about the new ones? People who are thinking of getting into medium format photography.
09-01-2018, 07:54 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
I guess Phase One uses one of these sensors - have a look here ... XF IQ4 150MP Camera System - Medium Format | Phase One

Just for fun you can download a sample raw file package to explore the details etc.
09-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
I guess Phase One uses one of these sensors - have a look here ... XF IQ4 150MP Camera System - Medium Format | Phase One

Just for fun you can download a sample raw file package to explore the details etc.
Yep saw it. Phase one uses two different variations of the sensor. One with full rgb. And another one is monochrome. I just hope Pentax jumps to this ship. It would be really foolish if they gave up that market to fuji. Ricoh marketing is bad, so is their management.

09-01-2018, 02:59 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yep saw it. Phase one uses two different variations of the sensor. One with full rgb. And another one is monochrome. I just hope Pentax jumps to this ship. It would be really foolish if they gave up that market to fuji. Ricoh marketing is bad, so is their management.
I think they will do so. The cost to incorporate a FF645 sensor within the current body is marginal, even if the cost of the sensor itself is high, but minimal retooling and electronics costs mean that they can still remain highly competitive in MF.

I wouldn’t describe Ricoh’s management as bad – they are very cautious, but they’re keeping development going at minimal risk to the company. Their marketing, though, is appallingly absent, at least in Western markets.
09-01-2018, 03:20 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I think they will do so. The cost to incorporate a FF645 sensor within the current body is marginal, even if the cost of the sensor itself is high, but minimal retooling and electronics costs mean that they can still remain highly competitive in MF.

I wouldn’t describe Ricoh’s management as bad – they are very cautious, but they’re keeping development going at minimal risk to the company. Their marketing, though, is appallingly absent, at least in Western markets.
Not only in the western market. Also here in India! Ricoh and Pentax products are cheap, excellent quality and feature packed! And Indians love deals! But what does Ricoh do? ,nothing. No promotions. No advertisements. NOTHING! Not only that. If Ricoh decided to produce 30% of the parts of each and every product they sell, indigenously, then the price of their products would come down by 28%. Cuz then they wouldn't need to pay 28% import duty. When hoya bought Pentax, Pentax had a much bigger presence in India! I think Ricoh needs to boot the current management, and get people who aren't cautious. Because cautious is not good for business. A lot of Chinese electronic manufacturers have limited budget, but excellent online marketing. They give cheap products for an excellent price. I wonder why Ricoh can't adopt such policies? Their management sucks ass. Doesn't do justice to the potential their products have! How frustrating! And India is an emerging market for photography. Everyone now a days are buying DSLRs. No one wants p.s. cameras! The scene here is crazy!
09-01-2018, 04:08 PM   #40
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote

Wouldn't that mean to increase the flange distance? Otherwise the image circle wouldn't cover the FF sensor, or not?
09-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Wouldn't that mean to increase the flange distance? Otherwise the image circle wouldn't cover the FF sensor, or not?
I don’t think the replacement of the film plane with the sensor plane in the basic 645 body design changed anything. From what I’ve read, there’s only one current lens that might have an issue with coverage.
09-02-2018, 04:08 AM   #42

What about the new ones? People who are thinking of getting into medium format photography.
It would happen if Pentax was giving signals on the lens side. No new (real new) lens since... I don't even remember. Going to 100MP or 150MP full format without new lenses would be a bad move. The 90mm would be OK I guess, but for the rest, no idea.

---------- Post added 09-02-18 at 04:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
No need, the flange distance didn't change since film era. Did Pentax change the K1 flange distance in comparison with K3 and other APS-C cameras ?

---------- Post added 09-02-18 at 04:12 AM ----------

Not only in the western market. Also here in India! Ricoh and Pentax products are cheap, excellent quality and feature packed! And Indians love deals! But what does Ricoh do? ,nothing. No promotions. No advertisements. NOTHING! Not only that. If Ricoh decided to produce 30% of the parts of each and every product they sell, indigenously, then the price of their products would come down by 28%. Cuz then they wouldn't need to pay 28% import duty. When hoya bought Pentax, Pentax had a much bigger presence in India! I think Ricoh needs to boot the current management, and get people who aren't cautious. Because cautious is not good for business. A lot of Chinese electronic manufacturers have limited budget, but excellent online marketing. They give cheap products for an excellent price. I wonder why Ricoh can't adopt such policies? Their management sucks ass. Doesn't do justice to the potential their products have! How frustrating! And India is an emerging market for photography. Everyone now a days are buying DSLRs. No one wants p.s. cameras! The scene here is crazy!
Then you know what to do : apply for a position at Ricoh / Pentax
09-02-2018, 04:41 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would happen if Pentax was giving signals on the lens side. No new (real new) lens since... I don't even remember. Going to 100MP or 150MP full format without new lenses would be a bad move. The 90mm would be OK I guess, but for the rest, no idea.

No need, the flange distance didn't change since film era. Did Pentax change the K1 flange distance in comparison with K3 and other APS-C cameras ?

Lenses only work properly if flange distance / registration distance stays the same. If not, focusing issues will arrise.

We can use Pentax FF lenses on Pentax APSC cameras and also older Pentax middle format lenses on the 645D/Z camera. This is possible since the registration distances are the same for each couple. At least that‘s my understanding.

Problems may occur concerning image circles if a lens is designed for a smaller sensor size than the ones for the standard analog film original formats. Most APSC lenses show strong vignetting on FF cameras like the K-1, they are not FF compatible. Same may occur with lenses designed for the 44 x 33 mm middle format sensors. The image circle of the lenses may be too narrow for a real, not „cropped“ Pentax middle format camera.
09-02-2018, 06:11 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster

If I was qualified enough, I would definitely!
09-02-2018, 11:48 PM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Lenses only work properly if flange distance / registration distance stays the same. If not, focusing issues will arrise.

We can use Pentax FF lenses on Pentax APSC cameras and also older Pentax middle format lenses on the 645D/Z camera. This is possible since the registration distances are the same for each couple. At least that‘s my understanding.

Problems may occur concerning image circles if a lens is designed for a smaller sensor size than the ones for the standard analog film original formats. Most APSC lenses show strong vignetting on FF cameras like the K-1, they are not FF compatible. Same may occur with lenses designed for the 44 x 33 mm middle format sensors. The image circle of the lenses may be too narrow for a real, not „cropped“ Pentax middle format camera.
I perfectly know all of of this. The 645 mount has not changed through the years, only 2 lenses are for 44x33mm sensors (645 DA lenses), one of which existed in 56x42mm version. So, again, no concern really for a potential full frame digital Pentax 645 on this side.