Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
Forum Member

medium format lenses on crop-sensor body ?

Can I use Pentax medium format lenses on my K5iis ?

09-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sure.
09-09-2018, 01:04 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Sure.
hmmmm.... given the immediate - and decidedly affirmative (but admittedly bare-bones, with all due respect) - response to my query - perhaps i should rephrase my post:

Can I use Pentax medium format lenses on my K5iis ? Any advice regarding how to do this ? Suggestions and technical comments would be welcome, as well as do's and don't's and etc.

(I have a nice selection of lenses that i use on my K5iis (including 15mm, 31mm, 77mm, 100mm, and some zooms), so i'm not looking to do anything but experiment until i decide to finally buy a 645z or similar.)

Thank you !
09-09-2018, 01:11 PM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

there is a 645-to-k adapter...

09-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by habsfanusa Quote
Can I use Pentax medium format lenses on my K5iis ? Any advice regarding how to do this ? Suggestions and technical comments would be welcome, as well as do's and don't's and etc.
You will need a 645 to K mount adapter such as this one:
Pentax Adapter K for 645 Lens (645 to K mount) Reviews - Pentax K-mount Teleconverters and Adapters - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adapted lenses need to have an aperture ring. Otherwise usage is identical to that of M42 lenses.
How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

K-5 user here. You can use the Pentax 645 to K for regular use, or a tilt-shift adapter like the MiREX I use. You want the 35/3.5 with that. Nice for stitching panoramas.

09-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
67 Medium Format Lenses can be used to, with the correct adapter.

09-09-2018, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The terse answers were quite correct and really quite complete except that there might have been an assumption that you might know that such an adapted lens would be bound by the general rules for adapted lenses:
  • Must have aperture ring and some mechanism to be stopped down for exposure and metering
  • M, Av, X, and B modes only
  • Stop-down metering only. In Av mode, metering is continuous. In M mode, it is done with the green button (instantaneous) or optical DOF preview (continuous while preview is on). Metering is not available in X mode.
Stop-down metering is not very consistent, so a hand-held meter or "sunny 16" method might be preferred.

One other thing to consider is that while most medium format lenses offer very good to excellent performance on the intended camera and format, many are not quite so sterling on a small format such as APS-C or 35mm FF and may disappoint despite sampling the center "sweet spot".

Steve
09-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hmmmm.... given the immediate - and decidedly affirmative (but admittedly bare-bones, with all due respect) - response to my query - perhaps i should rephrase my post:Can I use Pentax medium format lenses on my K5iis ?
Sorry for the terse post but I assumed you knew how to use adapted lenses. Steve has explained that quite well so I won't add to that.

I will ask: why? When I saw your post I assumed you had an existing bag of 645 glass and wanted to use it on your K-5iis. If you do not already own that glass then buying it to use on APS-C is not exactly the route I would go. You CAN use those lenses but as explained above there are serious limitations. If you are buying glass in advance of buying a 645z I can see the logic but I'm not sure it will really tell you anything because of the change in field of view caused by the different formats and the limitations of adapted lenses.
09-09-2018, 09:24 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

I used medium format Mamiya lenses on K-3 and K-5... There is no problem with using it and they behave same as M42 lens. You have to use green button for metering or use manual mode without metering if your are comfortable with. Personally I always use manual mode and sometimes use green button if I am not sure what shutter speed to use but mostly I am right there with guessing. Fotodiox make some quality adapters...

I like using those medium format lenses as they have specific rendering that I like and they fairly compact.

some example's:

10-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
I used medium format Mamiya lenses on K-3 and K-5... There is no problem with using it and they behave same as M42 lens. You have to use green button for metering or use manual mode without metering if your are comfortable with. Personally I always use manual mode and sometimes use green button if I am not sure what shutter speed to use but mostly I am right there with guessing. Fotodiox make some quality adapters...

I like using those medium format lenses as they have specific rendering that I like and they fairly compact.

some example's:
excellent examples, RAART!
10-01-2018, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
excellent examples, RAART!
I'll second that, in terms of a demonstration of rendering!
10-01-2018, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks.