Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2018, 01:59 AM   #1

AF not working around infinity with FA* 300mm f4 and 645Z

Hello out there,

I am a relatively new member based in Germany and am using the 645Z only for a short time now.

I have bought a used pentax-FA* 645 300mm F4 ED [IF]. The lens looks really great. The seller, who is not the ex-owner, has sent the lens with an invoice for a check and a calibration ordered by the previous owner (not the seller). I noticed that the AF is struggling when trying to focus to infinity. Subjects in close or medium distance are focused correctly. When focussing to infinty the camera overrides the inifity mark and then struggles to go in the oposite direction. It seems like the AF is stuck. This only occurs with the 300mm lens. With all my other lenses the AF is working perfectly. So I assume it's an issue of the lens. In manual mode it works just fine. The focussing is really smooth.

Has anybody had similar experiances or is this a common/known issue? I personally doubt this. The AF should work fine no matter how far the subject is away.

Many thanks in advance, Guido

10-03-2018, 02:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is possible that the previous owner had the lens calibrated to fix an infinity issue with their body, that has left it beyond the range of your body.
10-03-2018, 05:40 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
It is possible that the previous owner had the lens calibrated to fix an infinity issue with their body, that has left it beyond the range of your body.
maybe, but i have some doubts because there is no camera mentioned on the invoice just the lens itself and a 1.4 TC
10-03-2018, 07:59 AM   #4

Is it possible that it was recalibrated to allow the use of AF during infrared shooting?

10-03-2018, 08:20 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried adjusting the AF fine tuning menu item to see if it behave differently?
10-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you performed a FF/BF test and adjusted accordingly via the camera's AF fine tune menu? If not, go ahead and do so as it may help. Calibrations vary by both the lens and camera, so even if the lens worked perfectly with another camera, it may need adjustments on yours.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-03-2018, 09:10 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Have you performed a FF/BF test and adjusted accordingly via the camera's AF fine tune menu? If not, go ahead and do so as it may help. Calibrations vary by both the lens and camera, so even if the lens worked perfectly with another camera, it may need adjustments on yours.
If "subjects in close or medium distance are focused correctly" then AF fine tune is not a likely candidate is it?

10-03-2018, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob L Quote
If "subjects in close or medium distance are focused correctly" then AF fine tune is not a likely candidate is it?
Sounds like this is a subjective evaluation, so I'd still perform the test. It may only take a very small adjustment to get AF to lock at infinity.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Have you tried adjusting the AF fine tuning menu item to see if it behave differently?
Thank you for the hint. I didn't know about this function and wil try it later.
10-03-2018, 09:34 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Thank you, Adam. I will check it this evening as soon as I am back from work. Seems like I've forgotten the basics...
10-04-2018, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by gfje Quote
Thank you, Adam. I will check it this evening as soon as I am back from work. Seems like I've forgotten the basics...
No problem! Here's a guide with info on where to adjust the settings and how to perform a controlled test:

Fixing Front and Back Focus - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

Adam

10-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #12

Original Poster
Just a quick update: I tried the focus adjustment but without success. But I am happy to have learned about this function. I really wasn't aware of it. In the meantime I had a chat with the technician who did the calibration the pre-owner had ordered. He asked me to send the lens back for another check (free of charge). And I did it today.