Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2018, 08:25 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
I use both so i might be able to weigh in. They are both nice systems. The fuji is putting the effort that i wish pentax would into their system. I initially bought the gfx because of that very fact. I wasnt getting the updated sealed lenses that i wanted. With the fuji system, the lenses are very sharp, i love the ability to control everything on camera, i love the extended iso to 50, i like how there is reassurance that they are making an effort with the system (new lenses, capture 1, third party support in form of lenses, etc), evf soom in to get great autofocus for manual lenses,i love how compact and light the system is( it is the size of a k1 maybe even a little smaller), and no mirror vibration.

In the GFX laowa is coming out with a 17 mm lens for the system, you can adapt 35mm lenses such as the tiltshifts, you can use canon lenses with the camera with full autofocus. Even the film simulators are nice for those moments you need a jpeg file. Oh and comparison to the pentax, it doesnt have more of a magenta color to the files. I like how the gfx has a quick menu which you can customize for main settings.

As far as 645z goes, it has much better raw files, and you can use dng. Although the fuji you can shoot compressed, the file sizes are massive,111 with fuji compared to ~70 with the z. Although i want sealing with my lenses, i prefer the softer nature of pentax lenses which ill tend to adapt on to the gfx(unfortunately no autofocus). Another nice thing is how there is a bottom and side mount to the z. I like how there is no delay when looking through the ovf of the pentax, more telephoto lenses for now, weather sealing on body is great(havent tested the fuji quite yet), the files are more smoother and i like how they arent as contrasty(i needed to reduce it on the gfx), menu system is also nicer on the 645z. Unlike the gfx, i findchanging between different modes easier to navigate the z.

When i get home ill make sure i share a few files between the two cameras.
Thank you for all your input!

10-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
Thank you for all your input!
your welcome.

So the following images are not the best, but as fair as comparison as possible. all composed with a pentax 75mm lens, I would have used a 45mm lens on both but I did not have one for the z. The pentax had the FA75 and the Fuji had the pentax 75LS. They were both manually focused, I tried to keep the settings as similar as possible, I used one camera and then picked up the next camera right after no tripod, no edits were done all converted in ON1 from RAW to JPG. so without further explanation...

Fuji

Pentax

Fuji

Pentax

Fuji

Pentax
10-07-2018, 10:50 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
no edits were done all converted in ON1 from RAW to JPG. so without further explanation...
When the differences are so obvious, I'm tempted to blame it on post-processing, otherwise the Fuji camera is a distant second to the 645Z. I don't shoot MF, but in smaller formats the weight of the camera is the least important factor, for example I find the Sony APS-C and FF bodies to be awkward and unbalanced with the lenses I want to use and that makes the EVF vs OVF argument pointless for me. I don't like EVFs, even on better handling bodies like Olympus, but it took 15 seconds of holding Sony bodies to know I didn't like them.

If you are only going to take photos with a tripod, handling isn't an issue, but it appears to me that Fuji images are inferiour to Pentax. The paying public doesn't give a crap about resolution, all that matters is the initial impression. So really it comes down to whatever it takes for the photographer to take pictures with immediate impact.. Buy whatever you want, either you take appealing photos or you don't and the equipment you use doesn't change your inherent ability one way or the other.
10-08-2018, 12:16 AM - 5 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I work with 100Mp+ camera systems and the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence : you still have to mow it. Hand holding a 100Mp camera will test your camera technique.

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
The paying public doesn't give a crap about resolution
However, In the realm of commercial photography this statement is false. In my years of work I have several clients that demand extremely high resolutions. Automotive, Aerospace, and Architecture photography, these are the principal commercial genres where the most skilled photographer, with the most appropriate photographic style and the Highest MP cameras will have a statistically elevated chance of getting the job.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-08-2018 at 12:42 AM.
10-08-2018, 12:54 AM   #20
Veteran Member

When I looked at the weight and dimensions of the Fuji 23mm vs. the Pentax D FA 25mm and also the Fuji 32-64 vs. the Pentax 28-45, the Fuji lenses were smaller and lighter.

I should clarify my statement as I did not really convey my thoughts.

I was meaning in the Fuji size being big in relation to certain lenses in both the Pentax and Hasselblad range.

For example the 120 from Fuji is ridiculous compared to the Pentax 120.

The Fuji 23mm is quite a bit larger than the Hasselblad 21mm, it’s just bigger and harder to hold when mounting.
10-08-2018, 06:18 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

your welcome.

So the following images are not the best, but as fair as comparison as possible. all composed with a pentax 75mm lens, I would have used a 45mm lens on both but I did not have one for the z. The pentax had the FA75 and the Fuji had the pentax 75LS. They were both manually focused, I tried to keep the settings as similar as possible, I used one camera and then picked up the next camera right after no tripod, no edits were done all converted in ON1 from RAW to JPG. so without further explanation...
So, what I would ask is: On your favorite monitor, which one of each pair more closely matches the "reality" that your eyes saw and your mind remembers? The Pentax results look more natural to me, but I don't live where you are, and my monitor is only roughly calibrated.

Thanks
10-08-2018, 07:04 AM   #22

For me, it is quite simple .... i would not buy a camera full of electronic which I would have to use like a old fashioned manual body .
On GFX ... you can put all the MF lenses you want as there are more then 30 adapters for all brand of MF lenses ... but with no mechanical connection between aperture and body, you remain with something you only can use for static subject. And there is also a problem with automatic exposure calculator .
Thus a body full of electronic which has to be focused manualy, aperture has to be also stopped down manualy ... etc
GFX is only interesting, for me, as you have enough money to buy the fuji lenses dedicated for this body or il you want to use this body as digital back on a field camera.
With pentax 645Z we can buy all lenses which were deveopped for the pentax N (FA) and we have superb pictures whith autofocus, with automatic exposition calculation, with automatic aperture control ... and these lenses remains affordable financialy. Even with manual lenses (A), we have also automatic exposure calculation and automatic aperture control.

10-08-2018, 07:57 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
So, what I would ask is: On your favorite monitor, which one of each pair more closely matches the "reality" that your eyes saw and your mind remembers? The Pentax results look more natural to me, but I don't live where you are, and my monitor is only roughly calibrated.

Thanks

Ill dive more into it later, but given that outing it was the fuji.

10-09-2018, 07:53 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own a 645Z and played with the Fuji. I found the ergonomics superior on the Pentax. The Fuji seemed a bit rough, and perhaps future firmware updates will help. I'd make the same decision again based on the current offerings. IQ and dynamic range on the 645Z are excellent. Was not as impressed with the Fuji - felt some of the images were a bit lifeless.
If you're going to compare images, make sure to use a calibrated monitor - makes a huge difference.
10-09-2018, 08:22 AM   #25
Pentaxian

It's pretty common for a pile of people to jump ship, a few months (or years) before Pentax offers exactly what they were asking for. MY guess is the Pentax penalty can be anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. But with Sony not having their own 645 system, whatever they develop , Pentax will have a shot at leading edge technology. The current 645z sensor being case in point. The Pentax645z jumped the cue because the new sensor became available. I'm guessing the next 645 will do the same. So Pentax has a history of dumping everything for the 645 system if all the pieces fall into place. That being said, who knows when a sensor will come available, or when they will ad new lenses.

So, the best answer here is, no one knows what Pentax is doing or when the 645z will be upgraded. And it's possible Pentax self doesn't know. They need a sensor and they don't make them themselves.
10-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #26
Veteran Member

It’s quite clear and obvious that the 100mp crop sensor is coming to a Fuji near you. So I’m sure they will go with that, but in 2019 not really have anything class leading. It’s hard to know where it will sit.
10-09-2018, 01:22 PM   #27
Pentaxian

For landscape on a tripod, the 100Mpixels can be had with a Pentax K1 on a L bracket with a $15 arca plate extender on a tripod (rotate around the nodal point), take 3 vertical shots (can even be 3 pixel shifted frames, 145Mbytes each) at ISO100 and you are done, gives plenty of resolution. The trouble is, bigger than 100Mp gives some stress to image processing tools.
10-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
It’s quite clear and obvious that the 100mp crop sensor is coming to a Fuji near you. So I’m sure they will go with that, but in 2019 not really have anything class leading. It’s hard to know where it will sit.
Well Fuji has announced it. Remember Pentax announced the K-3, then it took another six months to iron out the crosstalk and moire issues. Announcing something you have not finished development of, doesn't even mean it will be the next 100 MP sensor released. It just means a team with limited experience with high MP sensors is trying to figure it out. Let's see where everyone stands when it's on the shelf. Until then, I'm not speculating about who's releasing what, and when.

Panasonic and Canon announced new spectacular organic sensor technology 5 years ago, they are still saying it's 5 years off, 5 years later.

Last edited by normhead; 10-09-2018 at 02:09 PM.
10-10-2018, 06:57 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Interesting addition to the Fuji GFX range ... the 50R rangefinder....a Hassy X1D competitor?.....these promotional offers in the UK announced today... | NEWS | FUJIFILM X Series & GFX – UK

With 'standard' 45mm or 63mm lens £4500 approx. and with 32-64mm zoom £5300 approx
10-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I shoot landscapes and often print very large (I've sold a number of 8'+ wide prints), so the 100mp sensor would actually make sense for me, especially if I decide I need to crop something or am in a situation where using my pano head isn't an option.
The number of megapixel is not all what is needed. Lens diffraction increasingly limit the effectiveness of cramming more pixel on same size sensor. Here is calculator to play with: Diffraction Limited Photography: Pixel Size, Aperture and Airy Disks

In order to benefit from more megapixels the sensor size should also increase. Stitching is a cost effective way of virtually increasing both sensor size and pixel count at the same time, at the cost of being limited to still subjects.