Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
Forum Member

Stitching panoramas of 645Z images

I use two stitching programs for my full-frame camera images, but they don't seem to work with the images I recently made with my 645Z and Pentax 400/5.6, Serif's Panorama Plus couldn't find enough matches among the 5 images. I concede that the images were low-contrast, but that shouldn't have mattered. My old copy of Panorama Maker v.6 began to stitch, but couldn't handle the big files. It suggested I shut down any other open programs, which I did, but that didn't help. Actually my computer has plenty of processing power, so I don't think that was the real problem. I do realize that a pano file made with the Z would be huge.

How do other 645Z owners stitch panoramas?

JT

10-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John Trammell Quote
Actually my computer has plenty of processing power, so I don't think that was the real problem. I do realize that a pano file made with the Z would be huge.
Could be memory. I, too, have a fair amount of compute power (latest I7), but I have programs that gripe all the time about my measly 8 GB of memory.
10-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use two stitching programs for my full-frame camera images, but they don't seem to work with the images I recently made with my 645Z and Pentax 400/5.6, Serif's Panorama Plus couldn't find enough matches among the 5 images. I concede that the images were low-contrast, but that shouldn't have mattered. My old copy of Panorama Maker v.6 began to stitch, but couldn't handle the big files. It suggested I shut down any other open programs, which I did, but that didn't help. Actually my computer has plenty of processing power, so I don't think that was the real problem. I do realize that a pano file made with the Z would be huge.

How do other 645Z owners stitch panoramas?

JT
I feel like it could either be related to the file resolution, or maybe the 4:3 aspect if the software is bad. Have you tried scaling the input images down before proceeding to eliminate that as a possibility?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you tried stitching them in pairs so you are dealing with smaller files? Just a thought.

10-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

I used an older version of Panorama Maker and it required a lot (LOT) of memory. Nowadays I use Hugin and I can recommend it. It is a freeware: Hugin - Panorama photo stitcher.

Hope that it may help.
10-17-2018, 08:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My last big panorama used Panotools and PTGui, but it’s been a while. I’ve made gigantic files with Photomerge, but they didn’t need projection correction—I used shifts, rise, and fall on view cameras to make the component images, and they aligned to the pixel.

Rick “who has stitched photos that resulted in 2-G file sizes” Denney
10-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the useful comments. I did, after all, try the panorama tool in Affinity Photo. It stitched the 5 JPEGs, no problems. Resulting file was almost 200MB.

I made my first panorama many years ago, from digitized 35mm slides. Even though there were no panorama programs available, I had anticipated there would be, and had begun making overlapping exposures. Finally a shareware program from Smoky City Software appeared. Making the pano required many steps, with each step saved before proceeding to the next, but it worked. Since then I've tried just about every method, but today was my first attempt with images from the Z. Thanks again for your comments.

JT

10-17-2018, 09:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Since acquisition by GoPro the best software for stitching is shutdown since last month. If you have chance to get somehow Kolor Autopano it will handle the files even in raw you just need a good PC. I will suggest to export them in JPEG and then stitch... much faster turnaround time. If you like you can PM me and send me links with raw files and I can try to stitch with Kolor Autopano and send you the image back in tiff or psd or raw. Let me know.

EDIT: While I typed OP has posted that he resolved the issue... :-)

Last edited by RAART; 10-17-2018 at 09:15 PM.
10-17-2018, 10:22 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
Since acquisition by GoPro the best software for stitching is shutdown since last month. If you have chance to get somehow Kolor Autopano it will handle the files even in raw you just need a good PC. I will suggest to export them in JPEG and then stitch... much faster turnaround time. If you like you can PM me and send me links with raw files and I can try to stitch with Kolor Autopano and send you the image back in tiff or psd or raw. Let me know.

EDIT: While I typed OP has posted that he resolved the issue... :-)
After reading and re-reading the posts to my query, i realize that I really haven't "tried just about every method." Commenters have mentioned some that were unknown to me.

A 2-G panorama must be awesome. How was it stitched?

Thanks to RAART for the kind offer, but I think I know what to do, now.

BTW, although I probably shouldn't mention this in Pentax forums, Sony's sweep panorama function makes good panoramas.

JT
10-17-2018, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Hey, no problem at all... I have stitched with Kolor Autopano sequence of 30 images more than less. It handles large files with ease but as I said it is shutdown now. It is known that Kolor Autopano was able to handle well over 300 images for a panorama.
Here are some examples all done with Kolor Autopano.

This is 27 images pano with original file resolution 11900 x 11900px

This is 12 images (original file resolution 17395 x 5591px)

This is 10 images pano

21 images pano (original file resolution 12403px x 13233px @ 300dpi or 105.01cm x 112.04cm @ 300dpi)

[
10-18-2018, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I might just mention that the latest Lightroom Classic CC, 8.0, now does HDR panoramas in one process.
10-18-2018, 06:26 AM   #12

It sucks that Kolor has shut down and Autopano is no longer developed. It was my stitcher of choice for many years; worked great with files from my 645D and Z. The Kolor team was really dedicated and did some great work. I was nervous when they were acquired by GoPro, since such things rarely end well for the original products being merged into a bigger company's plans.

I'll probably switch to PTGui now.
10-18-2018, 09:15 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
Hey, no problem at all... I have stitched with Kolor Autopano sequence of 30 images more than less. It handles large files with ease but as I said it is shutdown now. It is known that Kolor Autopano was able to handle well over 300 images for a panorama.
Here are some examples all done with Kolor Autopano.

This is 27 images pano with original file resolution 11900 x 11900px

This is 12 images (original file resolution 17395 x 5591px)

This is 10 images pano

21 images pano (original file resolution 12403px x 13233px @ 300dpi or 105.01cm x 112.04cm @ 300dpi)

[
Very nice. Thanks.
JT

---------- Post added 10-18-18 at 10:17 AM ----------

I'm glad I opened this thread. I've learned a lot from the replies. Interesting, though, that nobody has mentioned Gigapan.
10-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm glad I opened this thread. I've learned a lot from the replies. Interesting, though, that nobody has mentioned Gigapan.
while you cannot get the software only... you have to purchase hardware in order to get software, if I remember correctly.
Edit: also to note that Kolor software was more advanced then Gigapan...

Last edited by RAART; 10-18-2018 at 11:58 AM.
10-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
RAART, I liked the first pano, the one with the creek, best. Inasmuch as you could have captured the same scene with one exposure, I'm assuming you made the panorama for a huge print. Correct?

JT