Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Posts: 82
Stitching panoramas of 645Z images

I use two stitching programs for my full-frame camera images, but they don't seem to work with the images I recently made with my 645Z and Pentax 400/5.6, Serif's Panorama Plus couldn't find enough matches among the 5 images. I concede that the images were low-contrast, but that shouldn't have mattered. My old copy of Panorama Maker v.6 began to stitch, but couldn't handle the big files. It suggested I shut down any other open programs, which I did, but that didn't help. Actually my computer has plenty of processing power, so I don't think that was the real problem. I do realize that a pano file made with the Z would be huge.


How do other 645Z owners stitch panoramas?

JT

10-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Flagstaff, Arizona
Posts: 436
QuoteOriginally posted by John Trammell Quote
Actually my computer has plenty of processing power, so I don't think that was the real problem. I do realize that a pano file made with the Z would be huge.
Could be memory. I, too, have a fair amount of compute power (latest I7), but I have programs that gripe all the time about my measly 8 GB of memory.
10-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 48,627
QuoteOriginally posted by John Trammell Quote
I use two stitching programs for my full-frame camera images, but they don't seem to work with the images I recently made with my 645Z and Pentax 400/5.6, Serif's Panorama Plus couldn't find enough matches among the 5 images. I concede that the images were low-contrast, but that shouldn't have mattered. My old copy of Panorama Maker v.6 began to stitch, but couldn't handle the big files. It suggested I shut down any other open programs, which I did, but that didn't help. Actually my computer has plenty of processing power, so I don't think that was the real problem. I do realize that a pano file made with the Z would be huge.


How do other 645Z owners stitch panoramas?

JT
I feel like it could either be related to the file resolution, or maybe the 4:3 aspect if the software is bad. Have you tried scaling the input images down before proceeding to eliminate that as a possibility?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
AggieDad's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 750
Have you tried stitching them in pairs so you are dealing with smaller files? Just a thought.

10-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian
hcc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,650
I used an older version of Panorama Maker and it required a lot (LOT) of memory. Nowadays I use Hugin and I can recommend it. It is a freeware: Hugin - Panorama photo stitcher.

Hope that it may help.
10-17-2018, 08:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NoVA
Posts: 414
My last big panorama used Panotools and PTGui, but it’s been a while. I’ve made gigantic files with Photomerge, but they didn’t need projection correction—I used shifts, rise, and fall on view cameras to make the component images, and they aligned to the pixel.

Rick “who has stitched photos that resulted in 2-G file sizes” Denney
10-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Posts: 82
Original Poster
Thanks for all the useful comments. I did, after all, try the panorama tool in Affinity Photo. It stitched the 5 JPEGs, no problems. Resulting file was almost 200MB.

I made my first panorama many years ago, from digitized 35mm slides. Even though there were no panorama programs available, I had anticipated there would be, and had begun making overlapping exposures. Finally a shareware program from Smoky City Software appeared. Making the pano required many steps, with each step saved before proceeding to the next, but it worked. Since then I've tried just about every method, but today was my first attempt with images from the Z. Thanks again for your comments.

JT
10-17-2018, 09:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian
RAART's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oakville, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,095
Since acquisition by GoPro the best software for stitching is shutdown since last month. If you have chance to get somehow Kolor Autopano it will handle the files even in raw you just need a good PC. I will suggest to export them in JPEG and then stitch... much faster turnaround time. If you like you can PM me and send me links with raw files and I can try to stitch with Kolor Autopano and send you the image back in tiff or psd or raw. Let me know.

EDIT: While I typed OP has posted that he resolved the issue... :-)


Last edited by RAART; 10-17-2018 at 09:15 PM.
10-17-2018, 10:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Posts: 82
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
Since acquisition by GoPro the best software for stitching is shutdown since last month. If you have chance to get somehow Kolor Autopano it will handle the files even in raw you just need a good PC. I will suggest to export them in JPEG and then stitch... much faster turnaround time. If you like you can PM me and send me links with raw files and I can try to stitch with Kolor Autopano and send you the image back in tiff or psd or raw. Let me know.

EDIT: While I typed OP has posted that he resolved the issue... :-)
After reading and re-reading the posts to my query, i realize that I really haven't "tried just about every method." Commenters have mentioned some that were unknown to me.

A 2-G panorama must be awesome. How was it stitched?

Thanks to RAART for the kind offer, but I think I know what to do, now.


BTW, although I probably shouldn't mention this in Pentax forums, Sony's sweep panorama function makes good panoramas.

JT
10-17-2018, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian
RAART's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oakville, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,095
Hey, no problem at all... I have stitched with Kolor Autopano sequence of 30 images more than less. It handles large files with ease but as I said it is shutdown now. It is known that Kolor Autopano was able to handle well over 300 images for a panorama.
Here are some examples all done with Kolor Autopano.

This is 27 images pano with original file resolution 11900 x 11900px




This is 12 images (original file resolution 17395 x 5591px)




This is 10 images pano




21 images pano (original file resolution 12403px x 13233px @ 300dpi or 105.01cm x 112.04cm @ 300dpi)

[
10-18-2018, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,126
I might just mention that the latest Lightroom Classic CC, 8.0, now does HDR panoramas in one process.
10-18-2018, 06:26 AM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 275
It sucks that Kolor has shut down and Autopano is no longer developed. It was my stitcher of choice for many years; worked great with files from my 645D and Z. The Kolor team was really dedicated and did some great work. I was nervous when they were acquired by GoPro, since such things rarely end well for the original products being merged into a bigger company's plans.

I'll probably switch to PTGui now.
10-18-2018, 09:15 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Posts: 82
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
Hey, no problem at all... I have stitched with Kolor Autopano sequence of 30 images more than less. It handles large files with ease but as I said it is shutdown now. It is known that Kolor Autopano was able to handle well over 300 images for a panorama.
Here are some examples all done with Kolor Autopano.

This is 27 images pano with original file resolution 11900 x 11900px




This is 12 images (original file resolution 17395 x 5591px)




This is 10 images pano




21 images pano (original file resolution 12403px x 13233px @ 300dpi or 105.01cm x 112.04cm @ 300dpi)

[
Very nice. Thanks.
JT

---------- Post added 10-18-18 at 10:17 AM ----------

I'm glad I opened this thread. I've learned a lot from the replies. Interesting, though, that nobody has mentioned Gigapan.
10-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #14
Pentaxian
RAART's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oakville, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,095
QuoteOriginally posted by John Trammell Quote
I'm glad I opened this thread. I've learned a lot from the replies. Interesting, though, that nobody has mentioned Gigapan.
while you cannot get the software only... you have to purchase hardware in order to get software, if I remember correctly.
Edit: also to note that Kolor software was more advanced then Gigapan...

Last edited by RAART; 10-18-2018 at 11:58 AM.
10-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Posts: 82
Original Poster
RAART, I liked the first pano, the one with the creek, best. Inasmuch as you could have captured the same scene with one exposure, I'm assuming you made the panorama for a huge print. Correct?

JT
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, 645z, autopano, camera, images, medium format, pano, panorama, panoramas, panoramas of 645z, programs, resolution, stitch, stitching, stitching panoramas
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Landscape First attempt at stitching a panorama PancakeFlipper Post Your Photos! 9 07-10-2018 05:07 AM
stitching photos tip hadi General Photography 21 05-03-2018 03:34 PM
Do my panoramas not look like panoramas? ftpaddict Post Your Photos! 22 04-21-2010 11:18 AM
help with stitching images and putting borders between (aka: collage?) messthetics Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 7 08-17-2009 05:49 PM
Forbidden City Panoramas - 2 images xs400 Post Your Photos! 7 06-07-2008 12:47 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:28 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top