Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-03-2018, 10:01 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

645D Getting images that look correct but look darker on my computer

My computer is correct. I review my images after I take the shots on my rear LCD and they look lighter .I upload them from my card reader to my iMac and they about 1-2 stops darker. Is there an adjustment I have to make in my camera for my rear LCD screen? Thank you

11-03-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rollsman4 Quote
My computer is correct. I review my images after I take the shots on my rear LCD and they look lighter .I upload them from my card reader to my iMac and they about 1-2 stops darker. Is there an adjustment I have to make in my camera for my rear LCD screen? Thank you
I find the histogram is a much better tool for assessing correct exposure in-camera than the screen, but yes adjust your LCD screen brightness.

Are you referring to jpeg images or raw files ?
11-03-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To make the 645D/Z LCD screen look right when outdoors you need to ramp up the LCD backlight, making your exposures look more exposed than they are. Try reviewing all images on the camera with the histogram, it will give you a better understanding of the exposure

Best to read up on how to read a histogram too, there are varying opinions on this forum on which is the best histogram to achieve in your raw file to begin the editing process. If shooting JPG only then you need to perfect the image in camera. I suggest shooting RAW on the 645D, you will get superior results if you edit later in LR or similar.
11-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I shoot in Raw. I am trying to get the monitor to get as close to the way the Image looks on LCD and My computer monitor
I use the Histogram

11-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot in Raw. I am trying to get the monitor to get as close to the way the Image looks on LCD and My computer monitor
I use the Histogram
ok that introduces another variable.

The camera LCD will show an embedded jpeg of the raw image based on how you have set up your jpeg defaults in camera... eg natural, bright etc. The raw image when opened on your computer will initially display based on your default settings in whichever raw editor you are using. So what is your raw editor and what are the defaults set up to display ?

If your raw editor has no defaults to go on, your initial image will look dull and lacking in contrast. that is the nature of the beast.
11-03-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have it set to SD 1 jpeg Med file and SD 2 RAW. Does it matter if sRGB or RGB. I am not sure what I set the jpeg defaults. Not sure where to locate that. Let me thank you for helping me to resolve this
I put the Sd card in the card reader and just open the images in Preview. They are muddy and darker than the review in the camera
11-03-2018, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #7

I use the Histogram
Not sure it's reasonable to expect a raw image viewed on your computer to resemble a JPEG viewed on your camera LCD, until after you have done some work in your image editor.

First, you are not really looking a RAW image on your computer monitor. Without any processing, a RAW file is a deep, dark, murky thing with barely any image details visible. That is, when viewed on your computer image software, the software has applied a set of default processing steps to make the raw image "look right" on your screen. It would be a coincidence if the default settings in your desktop software resulted in an image which looked just like the image the camera processing produces when generating the JPEG you see on the camera screen.

Depending on what image processing software you use on your computer, it may be possible to create a set of adjustments that will, more-or-less, recreate the look of the camera JPEG. Your image editor may let you save the steps needed to get your desired result as a preset, which could then be applied to all RAW files from that camera at import.

What image editing software are you using?

11-03-2018, 03:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am using LR CC Thank you again for your time and help.
11-03-2018, 03:10 PM   #9

I am using LR CC Thank you again for your time and help.
Adobe's recent naming decisions have created much potential for confusion. Just to be clear, are you using:

Adobe Lightroom CC ?
- or -
Adobe Lightroom Classic CC ?

---------- Post added 11-03-18 at 05:32 PM ----------

Oops. I just re-read your post and I now realize you are happy with the image once it is on your computer, right? And the problem is that the images appear too bright on the camera LCD?

That should be a simple camera adjustment to your screen brightness, and how to do that should be in your Owner's Manual.

One thing I have learned about Owner's Manuals: if you download the PDF version to your computer you can use the Search functions of your computer to quickly locate information. If you have a smart phone, you can put the PDF manual on your phone and have it available in the field without the need to carry the paper book around.
11-03-2018, 04:46 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They are muddy and darker than the review in the camera
You need to process the raw file in your raw converter.

Last edited by pschlute; 11-03-2018 at 08:03 PM.
11-03-2018, 08:03 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have it set to SD 1 jpeg Med file and SD 2 RAW. Does it matter if sRGB or RGB
The sRGB/RGB setting will only affect the in-camera jpeg. Unless you understand Adobe RGB and are using a wide gamut computer monitor leave it set to sRGB
11-03-2018, 08:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for all your help. Great members on this forum
11-04-2018, 04:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Rollsman, so I read on LULA that you’ve bought a Nikon Z7 rather than a 645Z.

How do you like it?
11-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am still on the list and should have it in about 3 weeks, Will post then Thanks