Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2018, 09:37 AM   #1

Color problems with 645z and Lightoom

Hey guys, been trying to figure this one out for a while, but hitting a wall. Maybe someone else have encountered this issue as well.

After exporting images in Lightoom and applying exactly the same preset images have a different color cast. I tried everything I could - updating Lightroom, looking at different computers, different screens, resetting permissions etc etc. Even spent couple hours with Adobe and they did a remote session, nothing seems to be working. Here is a sample, of two images that look exactly the same in untouched RAW and look very differently after the same preset is applied. Have anyone encountered that?

Attached Images

11-08-2018, 09:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not a 645z shooter - but I have seen oddities in how color balance comes out on my K-3 with Auto-WB enabled during a set of photos. I also don't use Adobe I use DXO - so my point is simply that I have seen Auto-WB fooled during what seems like pretty consistent lighting. Have you set the WB in the camera or in the PP tool to a specific Kelvin value so that the two are using the exact same value (that may be part of your preset for example.)?

Also what is the lighting? I know fluorescent and led can cause weird effects for consistency based on the shutter speed and timing since they tend to cycle not provide true continuous light.
11-08-2018, 10:05 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I cannot see full exif data in your images but I can see that it says color space-uncalibrated. What color space are you using for these images when you process the raw file ?
11-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I am assuming that you mean after importing raw images into Lightroom you applied the same preset?

I have not seen this in any version of Lightroom so I can only try and guess by elimination what may have happened. So a few questions:

Which Lightroom version?

If a standard preset which one?

As the images looked exactly the same in raw are you sure you did not apply any edits prior to or after presets and if you did, did you sync images?

I notice that your screenshot shows you to be viewing in the Library module using Select and Candidate for comparison.
How do the images compare in the Develop mode using Reference and Active?

---------- Post added 11-08-18 at 10:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I cannot see full exif data in your images but I can see that it says color space-uncalibrated. What color space are you using for these images when you process the raw file ?
Lightroom does not apply a colour space to images until export. Internally it uses its own wide gamut version for calculations similar to Prophoto and output similar to sRGB for display, you cannot change the internal workings

Last edited by TonyW; 11-08-2018 at 11:17 AM.
11-08-2018, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What is that preset doing to WB? If it is setting it to auto, that might be the problem. Try 'as shot'.
11-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
I have not seen this in any version of Lightroom so I can only try and guess by elimination what may have happened. So a few questions:
Ditto...

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
What is that preset doing to WB? If it is setting it to auto, that might be the problem. Try 'as shot'.
I too am wondering if there is a white balance or lighting issue. I doubt that gamut is to blame since LR manages its own color space for the develop module using a variant of ProPhoto RGB called something like "Melissa". Assuming one is shooting RAW, the following are common causes for stuff like this:
  • Mixed lighting, especially if fluorescent sources are part of the mix
  • LED lighting...yes, even photo-balanced LED lighting be problematic
  • Strobes/flash of different color balance
  • Auto WB misreading the subject
  • Lightroom being creative with its interpretation of the camera-supplied WB settings in the image metadata
  • User accidental user error with camera WB settings
  • Different camera profiles being applied
Starting at the bottom and working up:
  1. The so-called DNG camera profiles affect how the sliders affect image tones even if initial rendering is similar. This is a long-shot cause for your problem, but best to get it out of the way first.
  2. I have not used a 645Z, but accidental change to WB settings during a session does happen with other models courtesy of the base of the thumb and the 4-way controller
  3. RAW capture data, by itself, has no notion of WB. That being said, the camera does store its WB analysis or user-set WB in the file as metadata for use by the RAW processor. Lightroom will use this information if available, but in a creative fashion. Even a straightforward setting such as 5500K may be translated to something higher or lower, but modified with a tint tweak. If two exposures differ by a few degrees K auto WB, LR may amplify that change on import. Pinning down the WB at both exposure and/or later in PP is often helpful.
  4. Lighting problems are beyond my area of expertise except that I am familiar with how they can cause problems. Sleuthing it out is not my bailiwick except that if the model turns such that light is mostly from a different source than that of a previous frame, the two might be treated quite differently by LR.
I suspect lighting variation, auto-WB fail, and/or WB meddling by LR.

BTW...what was the nature of the preset being used?

Steve
11-29-2018, 08:02 AM   #7

That’s either the WB, or are you suing a strobe(flash)?

That flash might not be consistent on its color output. They can vary as much as 1000 Kelvin.

12-04-2018, 04:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Guess we will never know as the poster went AWOL and this was his last post.

Shame really as forums can often help others with fault finding once a problem identified and solution offered. IMHO a very good reason to become a forum member.
12-04-2018, 11:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Guess we will never know as the poster went AWOL and this was his last post.

Shame really as forums can often help others with fault finding once a problem identified and solution offered. IMHO a very good reason to become a forum member.
maybe he realized he was shooting in AWB and was too embarrassed to come back?
12-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
maybe he realized he was shooting in AWB and was too embarrassed to come back?
😎🤭 Ahh, well who here can claim to have never made a photo error (sit down that boy at the back!!). No one here would point an accusing finger or make a derisory comment about genuine mistake or oversight would they?

Edit: Corrected as I made a huge spelling and grammatical error 😬

Last edited by TonyW; 12-04-2018 at 11:59 AM.
12-04-2018, 01:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian

😎🤭 Ahh, well who here can claim to have never made a photo error (sit down that boy at the back!!). No one here would point an accusing finger or make a derisory comment about genuine mistake or oversight would they?

Edit: Corrected as I made a huge spelling and grammatical error 😬
well, there once was that one guy who used to insult everyone's photos...is he still active?
12-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
well, there once was that one guy who used to insult everyone's photos...is he still active?
Well, I don't know, not been around these here parts for long enough . Probably moved on to other forums and richer pickings i.e. there is very little wrong with examples I have seen posted here so nothing to insult. Still he/she may be a sleeper waiting for the call (your in the clear Mike by a country mile)