Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Question about lens mount

I have a question about a mount for the Arsat 30mm, which is often seen in Pentacon 6 mount, but also in Contax, Kiev 88, and Pentax 645. I am posting photos of the mount and request advice on which mount this is. (I already own this splendid lens in Pentacon 6 mount, and use it on Pentax 645 cameras by using an adapter, but would love to have the lens in Penax 645 mount.) Any assistance will be sincerely appreciated.

Attached Images

11-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Looks to me like there is some sort of adapter on it - possibly M42 under the adapter.
11-20-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Well, the whole thing's too big for M42, but I agree it looks like there's already an adapter in place.

The knurled ring behind the aperture ring (above it, in your photo) appears to be a breech lock ring - which I think makes it the Pentacon 6 version. I had one handy a few months ago and could compare it directly, but it's not here now.

Undoing that breech lock ring will likely allow the adapter to be lifted off. What that adapter is, I can't tell - although I do know that Pentacon 6 to Mamiya 645 adapters were common and popular.

P.S. - the breech lock ring is part of the adapter, not the lens. Pentacon 6 and the Kiev equivalents, had the ring on the body.
11-20-2018, 09:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Question about lens mount

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Looks to me like there is some sort of adapter on it - possibly M42 under the adapter.

Thatís the rear screw-in filter on that lens.

Rick ďa screwed in filter is part of the formulaĒ Denney

---------- Post added 11-20-18 at 11:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Well, the whole thing's too big for M42, but I agree it looks like there's already an adapter in place.

The knurled ring behind the aperture ring (above it, in your photo) appears to be a breech lock ring - which I think makes it the Pentacon 6 version. I had one handy a few months ago and could compare it directly, but it's not here now.

Undoing that breech lock ring will likely allow the adapter to be lifted off. What that adapter is, I can't tell - although I do know that Pentacon 6 to Mamiya 645 adapters were common and popular.

P.S. - the breech lock ring is part of the adapter, not the lens. Pentacon 6 and the Kiev equivalents, had the ring on the body.

Correct.

I donít recognize the bayonet on the adapter, but I donít have any in front of me. Itís absolutely not a Pentacon Six bayonet, which has an alignment pin at top center.

In fact, you can see the back of the slot in the adapter into which that pin inserts.

Rick ďdonít think this is P645, but need to check to be sureĒ Denney

Last edited by rdenney; 11-20-2018 at 09:53 PM.
11-20-2018, 10:13 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote
Thatís the rear screw-in filter on that lens.

Rick ďa screwed in filter is part of the formulaĒ Denney

---------- Post added 11-20-18 at 11:51 PM ----------

Correct.

I donít recognize the bayonet on the adapter, but I donít have any in front of me. Itís absolutely not a Pentacon Six bayonet, which has an alignment pin at top center.

In fact, you can see the back of the slot in the adapter into which that pin inserts.

Rick ďdonít think this is P645, but need to check to be sureĒ Denney

------------------------

Thanks to everyone who offered comments. Yes, we have determined the actual situation now. This is a Pentacon 6 mount with a Minolta adapter in place. I was all excited at the possibility of getting the lens with a native Pentax mount so an adapter would not be necessary, but no such luck.
11-21-2018, 08:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
------------------------

Thanks to everyone who offered comments. Yes, we have determined the actual situation now. This is a Pentacon 6 mount with a Minolta adapter in place. I was all excited at the possibility of getting the lens with a native Pentax mount so an adapter would not be necessary, but no such luck.
Minolta mount: I wouldn't have guessed that from the photo. BTW were they really ever made with a native Pentax 645 mount (or Contax) as originally stated? When these things were popping up on the surplus market at camera shows, I only ever saw them in Pentacon and Kiev 88 mounts. I bought one brand new in case, and spent some time making an adapter to fit it on a Graflex Norita 66. I was quite proud of my work when I got it working well. Odd thing about that lens though, was the case it came in. It stank. A weird chemical odour spread through any room it sat in.

I understand the reason these lenses popped up in North America in large numbers in the late '90s was due to over production in the former Soviet Union. It didn't matter if Soviet photographers needed them all, they just kept making them and storing them in warehouses, apparently.

But in the post-Soviet era, were these lenses actually made to fit western cameras, or when you see one advertised as having a Mamiya, Pentax, or Contax mount, were these just being sold with adapters already installed?
11-21-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back in the late 90ís and early aughts, Hartblei, mostly at the behest of the US importer, converted some lenses permanently, mostly for the Mamiya 645 mount. They were never fitted with such by Arsenal, but the boundary between factory and ex-factory is rather fuzzy in this case. The Hartblei technicians were all ex or current Zavod Arsenal technicians at the time.

Most youíll find have the Pentacon Six mount.

Rick ďold memoriesĒ Denney
11-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Minolta mount: I wouldn't have guessed that from the photo. BTW were they really ever made with a native Pentax 645 mount (or Contax) as originally stated? When these things were popping up on the surplus market at camera shows, I only ever saw them in Pentacon and Kiev 88 mounts. I bought one brand new in case, and spent some time making an adapter to fit it on a Graflex Norita 66. I was quite proud of my work when I got it working well. Odd thing about that lens though, was the case it came in. It stank. A weird chemical odour spread through any room it sat in.

I understand the reason these lenses popped up in North America in large numbers in the late '90s was due to over production in the former Soviet Union. It didn't matter if Soviet photographers needed them all, they just kept making them and storing them in warehouses, apparently.

But in the post-Soviet era, were these lenses actually made to fit western cameras, or when you see one advertised as having a Mamiya, Pentax, or Contax mount, were these just being sold with adapters already installed?
That is a good question. I only have the seller's statement that the adapter on the lens is a P6-Minolta version,so I do not know of my own knowledge.

I have never seen any mount except Pentacon 6, although I have no doubt that it has been produced with Keiv 88 and possibly/probably with other Kiev mounts as well. The only indication I have that any other mounts such as Contax and Pentax 645 were available is a statement I read in an on-line statement by one of the Ukrainian photography suppliers.

I use the lens on both the K-1 and 645D and Z using the appropriate adapters, really no problem because the functionality with an adapter is pretty much the same as it would be with a native Pentax mount since this is a manual focus lens with no communication between lens and camera.

Sorry for your odor problem. At least I have been spared that!

11-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos of the adapter from a face on angle so we can see all the tabs would help us to confirm if it is for Minolta or not.
3 Days Ago   #10
Marketplace Reseller

Ho everyone. Few months ago I bought a projector lens hoping Iíd be able to use it in my SL66. However, the barrel diameter is a few mm bigger than the bayonet mount and it canít be focused to infinity unfortunately

Is there any chance someone can tell me the max diameter I can fit through a 645 N camera lens mount? Many thanks
3 Days Ago   #11
Pentaxian

Alphabetical List of Camera Mounts

The throat diameter for Pentax 645 is listed as 61.2 mm.