Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2018, 06:15 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why Medium Format?

I was recently asked why do I bother with medium format? The gear is heavy and expensive and to fill the frame you need a lens with much more magnification.

To be honest I have asked myself the same question many times.

Once I start editing my pictures, my love affair with medium format reignites (if I may call it a love affair, perhaps it is better described as an addiction).

The pictures are just more realistic. Sometimes I think I just want to believe it to be more realistic. But then if you compare a film on IMAX (70mm) with a regular 35mm film, you know there is a difference. Not easy to describe for a layman like me, but I can see there is a huge difference. The same difference strikes me between full frame 35mm and medium format (albeit cropped at this time). I can't wait for the full frame medium format to arrive. That will be yet another magnitude shift, in my view anyway. Or perhaps I just need to up the ante on my addiction....

This past weekend I took some pictures at a family gathering and group pictures with a 45mm lens. Almost no distortion at the edges. Wich would be impossible for a 35mm f.frame to cover the same real estate with a +/-28mm lens without serious distortion at the edges.

Not to mention super low light performance. Portraits at iso 18,000???? I know this performance is not limited to the medium format, but is rather a Pentax staple feature that they have the ability to extract phenomenal amounts of data from a low light exposure.

So whenever I doubt myself about medium format, or my back starts to ache from carrying heavy gear, I just need one editing session, and I'm addicted all over again.

To answer the question, why medium format? I don't have an answer, how can you explain this? You have to experience it.

12-04-2018, 06:29 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Medium is on a continuum; you may as well ask, 'why large format?' and the answer would probably be the same, only more. Smaller format(s) offer portability, responsiveness and affordability.

It all boils down to personal preference and fitness for purpose.
12-04-2018, 06:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't know about film, but I've done some post processing of RAW images taken with Pentax 645z and Pentax K1, and I felt like there is a significant difference when moving the sliders: the medium format files are significantly more tolerant to raising shadows and high light compression. I don't think the sensors are designed the same way. Why medium format? Some people spend money into various upgrades of the same format, or even switching camera brand while still using the same format. In my opinion, the step up in image quality for the money spend is higher when spending money to acquire an larger format equipment instead of spending the money into multiple upgrades of the same format.
12-04-2018, 07:01 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Forum Member

There are technical, optical and sentimental answers for that question.

For the same amount of pixels, the biggest the sensor, the better it tolerates "wrong" lights. With the same pixel density, however, I doubt there will be a real difference over it.

I'm not sure why, but even with "equivalent" sensors (densities, type, etc), the bigger the sensor, the better the "pop" effect... isolation of the subject from the background.

Then it's the feelings... I felt in love with the 645D viewfinder, and I just miss a bigger one, if possible with split focusing screen. I must admit I'm thinking about moving to analogic just because I want big split screen viewfinders (seagull, rolleiflex, pentacon six...). I don't care about the picture itself, but I love to peek through those "reality windows" where I can isolate the subject from the backgound.

I guess anyone will have their own answers... mine are these three ones. The last, the main one.

12-04-2018, 07:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I remember the flurries of comparisons when the first 36 MP FF announced - good as medium format etc. - I remained unconvinced but still bought a 36 MP camera.

There is something about MF that I find hard to define, maybe the handling of the camera (apart from the weight) is part and colours the view as well as any technical benefits. The 645 is one of the best cameras I have handled outside of large format. Just feels better to me than any DSLR, maybe because I am an old crusty?

And if Pentax do introduce a 'FF' MF sensor in this body or even a mirrorless it would probably be high on my lists of wants (notice wants not needs)

I do not have an answer either as you say you need to experience it. Maybe it will turn out to be a Marmite moment either love or hate?
12-04-2018, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VellMerlot Quote
There are technical, optical and sentimental answers for that question.

For the same amount of pixels, the biggest the sensor, the better it tolerates "wrong" lights. With the same pixel density, however, I doubt there will be a real difference over it.

I'm not sure why, but even with "equivalent" sensors (densities, type, etc), the bigger the sensor, the better the "pop" effect... isolation of the subject from the background.

Then it's the feelings... I felt in love with the 645D viewfinder, and I just miss a bigger one, if possible with split focusing screen. I must admit I'm thinking about moving to analogic just because I want big split screen viewfinders (seagull, rolleiflex, pentacon six...). I don't care about the picture itself, but I love to peek through those "reality windows" where I can isolate the subject from the backgound.

I guess anyone will have their own answers... mine are these three ones. The last, the main one.
I had such withdrawal effects from not having a spilt focus screen on my 645z, that I bought a used split focus screen of a Hasselblad and converted it to fit the z. Now I'm back in familiar territory and happy again :-)

If you can find an old 645 n2 with split focus, it is worth buying the old camera just to salvage the split screen. The n2 focus screens fit in the z without mods.

Last edited by TDvN57; 12-04-2018 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
12-04-2018, 08:50 AM   #7

Shouldn't true MF be 6x4.5? Is it possible Pentax is working on that?

12-04-2018, 09:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by funkythiru Quote
Not quite if we think in terms of film the image area would be a little smaller so for digital the sensor size will follow suit.

Hasselblad 100 MP 5.43 x 4.0 for instance sensor by Sony?

I am sure Pentax more than capable of putting a larger sensor in the existing 645z and I guess they would also need to consider some lens additions.

Then there is mirror less; is this the way forward. But that would mean a new lens lineup to satisfy most photographers in the market for MF.

What about a full frame MF in a mirrorless system include Pentax pixel shift, now that would be something to behold.

Google Image Result for https://cdn.photographylife.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Fujifilm-GFX-50S-Sensor-Comparison.png
12-04-2018, 10:01 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
I had such withdrawal effects from not having a spilt focus screen on my 645z, that I bought a used split focus screen of a Hasselblad and converted it to fit the z. Now I'm back in familiar territory and happy again :-)

If you can find an old 645 n2 with split focus, it is worth buying the old camera just to salvage the split screen. The n2 focus screens fit in the z without mods.
Will it work with the 645D too?

@the_others I'm nobody to tell you that, but I think you are de-railing the thread. I think it's about "why to use MF?" and not "what do we expect from future Pentax?"... Just my thought
12-04-2018, 10:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Will it work with the 645D too?

@the_others I'm nobody to tell you that, but I think you are de-railing the thread. I think it's about "why to use MF?" and not "what do we expect from future Pentax?"... Just my thought
Perhaps, but then what about the mention of the split screen and "will it work with the 645D too " . Personally I do not see anything particularly wrong with asking the question even if not immediately apparently linked to the OP original - threads do drift.
12-04-2018, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will it work with the 645D too? ...
Yes, the 645N and 645NII use the same screens, and these are the same size as those available for the 645D and 645Z. It is not clear from my reading whether there are any deficiencies incurred from using the N, NII screens on the D, Z cameras. I believe member rdenney has had some success with this. See the recent 645 screens related upgrade to the Accessories section of this website.
12-04-2018, 11:01 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by funkythiru Quote
The 645z and D are the equivalent of cropped frame versions of 645 film size.

The new sony sensors are close to the original 645 film format. As far as lenses are concerned, if you buy the film lenses (or the non-cropped lenses), you are good to go on the full frame sensors. Except of course of they switch to mirrorrless and change the distance between lens mount and sensor. Will have to wait and see.

Apologies to those that think this is off topic. Just hard to resist being passionate about my addiction :-)

There are other threads on the forum with detailed information about the lenses and sensor format dimensions, etc. etc.
12-04-2018, 12:38 PM   #13
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems to me (and this is often missed--that is that it is not technical or not only so) there is a format/camera type/size/etc. that allows us to take better pictures, and it is not technical but rather what is an extension of our senses, and how we evaluate and take the image.

-- For some it is a large rather cumbersome camera that forces us to be slow and methodical.
-- For others it is a light rangefinder.
-- Similarly some use zoom, AF or primes and MF, etc.

Last edited by dms; 12-04-2018 at 12:41 PM. Reason: clarify my parenthetical comment
12-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
Perhaps, but then what about the mention of the split screen and "will it work with the 645D too " . Personally I do not see anything particularly wrong with asking the question even if not immediately apparently linked to the OP original - threads do drift.
My apologies if I sounded too harsh, I am patron of another place where the 75% of the threads drift to technical questions and why-not-Pentax-does rants.

@kaseki & @TDvN57 thanks, I'll check around (and to the latter: your thread, your rules, drift it as much as you need)
12-04-2018, 01:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

My apologies if I sounded too harsh, I am patron of another place where the 75% of the threads drift to technical questions and why-not-Pentax-does rants.

@kaseki & @TDvN57 thanks, I'll check around (and to the latter: your thread, your rules, drift it as much as you need)
No apologies needed from my POV, you said what you thought without being rude or harsh this is your right to post IMHO. I was just pointing out the irony again without rancour on my part. I do know what you mean about drifting sometimes it becomes difficult to keep track of the original intent of the thread