Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2018, 08:24 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Thanks Mark, will try, but his Ebay advertisement specifically excludes the United States for some reason?

Cheers,

Peter

12-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sarnian Quote
Surprisingly good! Here's a dropbox link to a jpeg (the TIFF is twice as good): Dropbox - Samyang 24 non-TS equivalent to c15mm CF006109.jpg

By the way, the effective pixel count of the P65+ is 60.5MP's.
Thks again - btw whats the Phase One flange distance? Thks, Ian
12-14-2018, 03:00 PM   #18
Pentaxian

You can find all flange distances on Wikipedia under camera flange distance. It is the same as Mamiya 645 mount.
12-14-2018, 04:37 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The converted lens is quite hard to focus as there's not much room to play with. The P65+ doesn't have Live View so that makes it harder. The lens is definitely a keeper and will be even easier to use when I eventually get my hands on an IQ-range Phase One back with Live View.
I'm curious how this might work on a Mamiya 645 Pro film body. I assume there's no aperture connection between the lens and camera - does it stop-down when on the camera?

12-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
I'm curious how this might work on a Mamiya 645 Pro film body. I assume there's no aperture connection between the lens and camera - does it stop-down when on the camera?
I'm embarrassingly new to using manual focus lenses but what I do is focus with the lens wide open (f3.5) using the focus indicator aid < o > in the viewfinder (until I hear the beep indicator), I then change the aperture to f11 or f16 and take my photo. The screen on the P65+ is REALLY bad so I tend to look at the histogram to check the exposure (which I'm really bad at nailing!). I haven't taken the time to learn hyperfocal focussing; I should really.

The little Samyang (which I've affectionately named Sammy) is sharper than my VERY good copy of the Phase One 28mm f4.5 AF Aspherical!! It's just a shame that it's not autofocus, but that's not the fault of the lens.

Last edited by Sarnian; 12-15-2018 at 10:12 AM.
12-15-2018, 08:01 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I haven't taken the time to learn hyperfocal focussing; I should really.
Yes you should. But: the higher your resolution, the more you have to be careful about hyperfocal focusing. Back in the day, film hid a lot of things that now we can much more easily see, such as diffraction. That said, I do it all the time, pretty crucial for more than 90% of what I do. I just don't have my old misguided expectations about acute sharpness that I once did for things out of the true focus band.