Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-10-2018, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #1

Don't buy Kipon Pentax 645 to Nikon F adapter

I was in the camera store today in hopes of buying a Pentax 645 to Nikon F adapter so I could use all my 645 and 67 lenses on my Nikon cameras (D700, F100, FM2n etc.).

Particularly, KIPON Pentax 645 to Nikon adapter. Turns out the adapter is poorly designed and doesn't work.

I was completely unable to attach the Pentax-A 55mm f/2.8 I took with me. The lens fits the adapter, but doesn't turn inside it. The 67 to 645 adapter fared better, but required noticeable turning effort. I tried both adapters the store had in stock and they were both the same.

Additionally, the prism box of Nikon F100 gets in the way so the adapter can't be mounted at all.
Nikon FM/FE is better in that regard, as the adapter just barely clears the front nameplate. Although, I'm not entirely sure it's not brushing against it and won't leave marks after some use.
I also tried the adapter with D800 they had in stock and it mounted without issues because D800 has more space around the lens mount.

Still, even if you have a camera that can accept KIPON Pentax 645 to Nikon adapter, it doesn't really matter because the adapter itself doesn't work.

I've attached photos of the adapter in case you wonder which one is it. It's not particularly easy to come by, but if you see one, don't buy it.

Attached Images

12-10-2018, 07:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good information, sorry it didn't work for you.
12-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My understanding was that only mirrorless cameras were able to be "adapted"?
12-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lightproof Quote
I was completely unable to attach the Pentax-A 55mm f/2.8 I took with me. The lens fits the adapter, but doesn't turn inside it.
QuoteOriginally posted by lightproof Quote
Still, even if you have a camera that can accept KIPON Pentax 645 to Nikon adapter, it doesn't really matter because the adapter itself doesn't work.
Could you elaborate on what is meant by "doesn't turn inside it"? Are you saying that you can't fully attach the adapter (does not fit) or something else?

Steve

12-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Could you elaborate on what is meant by "doesn't turn inside it"?
I think what he's saying is that it has the same issue as the abnormally long flange around the aperture lever on some Vivitar (for example) film-era lenses. You can place them in the bayonet mount of a Pentax DSLR but you cannot rotate them into the lock position.
12-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I think what he's saying is that it has the same issue as the abnormally long flange around the aperture lever on some Vivitar (for example) film-era lenses. You can place them in the bayonet mount of a Pentax DSLR but you cannot rotate them into the lock position.
The mount in question is Pentax 645 and the lens used as an example is a Pentax A (645) 55/2.8. I believe you are correct, however, that they are saying that the mount tangs match, but the adapter cannot be fully engaged to the lens.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-10-2018 at 11:26 AM.
12-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bonner04 Quote
My understanding was that only mirrorless cameras were able to be "adapted"?
It is all in the flange distance that the lens was designed for. A Pentax 645 lens was designed as a medium format lens and can be adapted to work with almost any crop or full frame body. There is an official Pentax 645 lens to K mount body adapter. For other bodies, one has to look to the aftermarket. It doesn't always work out well.

BTW, there are quite a few medium format lenses that can be used with Pentax DSLRs. Hasselblad V mount springs to mind. The big downside is the size and weight of such lenses. The use of an adapter only makes sense if you already have the lens or can get it really cheaply.

From what I have read, one is not guaranteed great IQ just because you use an MF lens on a crop/full frame DSLR. The old YMMV adage really applies.

12-11-2018, 08:37 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Could you elaborate on what is meant by "doesn't turn inside it"? Are you saying that you can't fully attach the adapter (does not fit) or something else?
When you attach the lens to a camera you insert the lens into the bayonet opening and then turn it to engage the locking mechanism. In this case the lens could not be turned inside the adapter to engage the lock even though it physically fits.
12-11-2018, 08:59 AM   #9

The tabs on the bayonet are either too thick to fit in the channel or misaligned (too far or too near the flange).

I seem to recall people having problems with the Kipon branded M42 to K-mount adapter too. Perhaps the brand should be avoided.
12-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I seem to recall people having problems with the Kipon branded M42 to K-mount adapter too. Perhaps the brand should be avoided.
If they can't do an adapter right, one can only wonder about this $1500 lens that they sell. Not available in K mount, but perhaps that is a good thing.

Yes, that is a 40mm f/0.85 lens.
12-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #11

See this thread that discusses the Kipon M42 to K-mount adapter. One poster, kernos, mentions that the adapter jammed and could not be removed from the camera body. See other comments also.

M42 adapter with flange for aperture pin - PentaxForums.com

Review in the review database, including review by aforementioned member kernos.

Kipon M42 to PK adapter reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
12-14-2018, 06:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Yes, that is a 40mm f/0.85 lens.
That's... rather awesome in its own special way.
12-14-2018, 09:24 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used kipon adapters on mirrorless without issue. K to nx I think or fd to m43. So I wouldn't suggest the brand is to be avoided, but this adapter design specifically appears to be a problem and should be avoided.