Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2018, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

View Finder on S. Graphics

VellMerlot,
The view finders you are looking at are just wire frames or similar for quick shots. The cameras have a ground glass back matching the film size. So a 4x5 has the same image at the back as a view camera = thru the lens and 4x5. This does make taking pictures slow as you have to stop, cock the lens shutter & insert the film holder. Thus the small external aiming guide. That is also why most news photogs used the 127mm lenses - wide angle with room for cropping. My suggestions were assuming you did not really want make an exposure. Using a waist level finder gives a smaller image to your eye than a pentaprism. It is good for candid snapshots but not for action, good focusing or tightly framed subjects. I am not quite sure what you want but keep trying different view-points. There is an answer somewhere.

12-12-2018, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see a TLR in your future.

If you can find a Mamiya C330 that isn’t worn out, those do have interchangeable lenses. Prices are all over the map, but they may not be hip enough over there to fire up the speculators.

Rick “even Yashicamats are getting pricier” Denney
12-13-2018, 04:27 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm trying to decide between a Yashica-24 and a Yashica-635, both pretty cheap, both in working state and near my house. The second one has more points, because it's focused with the right hand. I have more precision with the right hand, while I have a more steady left hand.

So...
12-13-2018, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VellMerlot Quote
I'm trying to decide between a Yashica-24 and a Yashica-635, both pretty cheap, both in working state and near my house. The second one has more points, because it's focused with the right hand. I have more precision with the right hand, while I have a more steady left hand.

So...
The 24 is designed for 220 film, and it may or may not (they varied) allow the use of 120 film. That would be a deal-breaker for me--220 film is no longer available except for a few boxes in my freezer .

The 635 is more like the Rolleicord than the Rolleiflex. The lens is not the four-element Yashinon that is in a Mat 124 (and possibly a 24), but rather the three-element Yashikor that was also used as a viewing lens in the Mat. I had a 635 during my college years, and it makes good photographs. The shutter is not coupled to the film advance, so when you make an exposure, you have to push the button in the advance knob to release it, and then wind the knob until it stops. At least that's what I'm remembering after 40 years.

The 635 allowed a 35mm adapter, but it's unlikely that will be included with the camera, and, truth to tell, if I were wanting to use 35mm, there are zillions of 35mm cameras on the used market that would be better.

The 635 has no meter, and I used Sunny 16 (which I modified to Sunny 11 with negative film): F/16 with the shutter set to the film speed. So, with ISO 100 film, f/16 or f/11 at 125. That's in sunlight, which is when you'll want to use that camera.

Test the shutter at 1 second. If it is very slow (it will probably be a little slow), or especially if it hangs up during the timing, the shutter will need to be overhauled to be reliable. That will be difficult service to find, so keep looking until you find one that has a functioning slow-speed escapement.

Rick "who hasn't laid eyes on that 635 since four houses ago" Denney

12-15-2018, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

A couple options to consider:

Mamiya RB67 or RZ67: you’ll get a Hasselblad-type layout (body, interchangeable lens, finder and back) a 6x7 image, and rotatable back, and they’re still pretty cheap. They are a bit bulky...

Bronica ETR, SQ, or GS: these three lines of cameras are pretty cheap, very portable (even the biggest is smaller than RB67), and have nice lenses. They’re also the same layout as a Hasselblad. Drawback (maybe) is you usually find them with a grip and prism, not the waist level finder. The WLF can be expensive, and looking through a prism isn’t as nice (my opinion). ETR is 6x4.5, SQ is 6x6, GS is 6x7. I’ve got an ETRSi (last of the ETR line) and its my most used camera.

Mamiya TLR: these are surprisingly cheap TLRs, I think because they are bigger and heavier than Rollei and other TLRs, though they have some unique features like bellows focusing and being one of the few TLRs with interchangeable lenses. These are 6x6. Never used one, but the C330 Pro is on my list of cameras I’d like to try.
01-04-2019, 12:18 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just a fast update... I bought a Fujifilm X-A3, who I plan to use with my beloved K35 f3.5 in 1:1 crop mode...

AND

an old almost-working piece of iron caled Salyut-C with an almost destroyed 80 f2.8... the seller told me it works properly, and it sounds properly, although the focus ring is plainly wrong (the lens had a big hit for sure) and the focusing screen seems darker than expected, although I'm lame (and I cannot go outside to test it properly

BUT

I love the feeling and the pop-up effect of the items in the viewer, and I'm sure I'll be able to carry the Fuji everywhere (well, with a proper lens, because the adapter and the K35 are a bit big for a pocket camera :P )

I cannot wait 'til I'll can go outside to play with my new toys... I've even thought about buy a couple of 120 reels to test.

I'll keep you posted, thanks for all your advices.
03-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Fast update: I bought a crappy Salyut-S, and a Pentax MX with an M50f1.7 to use as photometer (I'm useless trying to measure light... yet). I changed the 50 1.7 for a 40 2.8 because its size and, well, the 1.7 came with a bit of fungus.

I'm happy. It's not about the (lack of) quality of my pictures, it's just the fun I have looking down to that window, the time it takes to compose and the thundering noise of the copper curtain. The results... well, today I got my first reel and it sucks. I don't know if they ruined it in the revealing developing room or if my camera just ruined the reel by itself, but really? I don't care. I'll keep looking through that new window and become amazed by its bokeh.

My colleagues make fun of me because this...

But I really love what I'm seeing:

(my apologies, I don't know how to resize linked pictures)

Now I have my chemicals, and few things to begin my new side as "reel destroyer" (I'm pretty sure I'll ruin the first... twenty?)

Last edited by VellMerlot; 03-14-2019 at 04:40 PM.
03-16-2019, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Fast update: I bought a crappy Salyut-S, and a Pentax MX with an M50f1.7 to use as photometer (I'm useless trying to measure light... yet). I changed the 50 1.7 for a 40 2.8 because its size and, well, the 1.7 came with a bit of fungus.
Congrats on your new gear. You have a high-tech phone in your hand. You can install a light meter app that will do an excellent job at sophisticated metering in the picture taking mode to get exposure. And you don't have to haul extra gear since you most likely already have it with you.
03-16-2019, 03:15 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Congrats on your new gear. You have a high-tech phone in your hand. You can install a light meter app that will do an excellent job at sophisticated metering in the picture taking mode to get exposure. And you don't have to haul extra gear since you most likely already have it with you.
I'll keep carrying the MX, because it allows me to take the "small pictures", while saving the only 12 shots for the Salyut

But about the meter app... any really good around? I tried some and I'm not sure about its accuracy.
03-16-2019, 04:23 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

I'll keep carrying the MX, because it allows me to take the "small pictures", while saving the only 12 shots for the Salyut

But about the meter app... any really good around? I tried some and I'm not sure about its accuracy.
Mine is way more accurate than an old-school, weighted average metering in a old camera. I use one called "Lightmeter" which I guess is what's it's called. It looks like an old school handhold meter. But it has a picture taking mode to get the metering and in which case I get matrix metering. I have tested it a lot against my one-degree spot meter in some very difficult conditions and it does a really good job. That's about all I know about it. I now do trust it.

This picture I metered with my one-degree and placed the dark trees at zone 1. Then I checked it against the light meter app. It also place those trees at zone one. This is normal development to see DR range of the film for average developing as opposed to the highlight compression developing I often do for these conditions.

FP4+

These picture I also compared the light meter app against my metering with a one-degree. They were within a 1/2 stop of each other.

Delta 3200

03-17-2019, 04:47 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
I had that app before it became a pay one (I don't care about, its prize is ridiculous), but never felt "safe" with it. I suppose I never understood how it works *facepalm*

Nice pics, btw
03-17-2019, 07:48 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
.......The results... well, today I got my first reel and it sucks. I don't know if they ruined it in the revealing developing room or if my camera just ruined the reel by itself, but really?......
If you show us a contact sheet of that first reel, we may be able to suggest the likely cause.

Each type of photographic misadventure that can ruin a reel leaves its own distinctive fingerprints on the negatives.

P.S. What a wonderful story and delightful beast of a camera!
03-17-2019, 07:51 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I had that app before it became a pay one (I don't care about, its prize is ridiculous), but never felt "safe" with it. I suppose I never understood how it works *facepalm*

Nice pics, btw
Thanks. A couple years ago I went to an event to take pictures. I forgot my light meter and my camera didn't have one. So I downloaded the first light meter app I found. The roll came out good and it saved the day. I still use my one-degree but often I will just use my light meter app.
03-17-2019, 11:53 AM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
If you show us a contact sheet of that first reel, we may be able to suggest the likely cause.

Each type of photographic misadventure that can ruin a reel leaves its own distinctive fingerprints on the negatives.

P.S. What a wonderful story and delightful beast of a camera!
Still trying to find a way to digitalize them. Some of them were fine enough (I guess), but the cartridge loader I used doesn't fit tight enough and let some light reach the negative, and it shows mainly the curtain's reflex, I bet.

As soon as I find a good way to digitalize my disasters I'll post some of them here
03-27-2019, 08:55 AM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
This is my best shoot. I digitized it using a phone, so don't look at it too nearly, it's the main image that appeals to me

I'm still experimenting with lamps, tripod and a camera, but it's boring :P

Oh, and it seems the titanium curtain leaves "light waves" into the film if I shoot at high speeds... I've ruined a lot of shoots because that, I just knew the reason yesterday morning, thanks to the araxphoto people (I googled a lot for it but were not able to find anything).
Attached Images