Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #1

6x7 LS (Leave Shutter) Lens: Use on K-Bajonett

Hello

I own a 6x7 90mm/2,8 LS -Lens

For flash use: Has anybody found a solution how to trigger the leave shutter when the LS-Lena are used vai Adapter on a (e.g.) K1?

01-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by klaus123 Quote
Hello

I own a 6x7 90mm/2,8 LS -Lens

For flash use: Has anybody found a solution how to trigger the leave shutter when the LS-Lena are used vai Adapter on a (e.g.) K1?
Set the camera to a very slow speed, plug the flash into the lens via the PC connector and use a cable release on the lens to trip the lens shutter while the camera shutter is open.
Note this will only work in a pretty dark environment such as a studio with very dim modeling lights.
01-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Set the shutter speed on the camera side to 1/8 second, no higher. On the leaf shutter lens, rotate the shutter speed dial to any of the marked shutter speeds. ***NB*** DO NOT use mirror lock-up in LS mode if you have the 165mm LS lens. Mirror lock-up can be used in LS mode with the 90mm however.

Use a handheld flash exposure meter for determining flash exposure with the sync cord connected to the LS lens socket, not the camera's sync socket.

It is possible the adaptor will interfere with or cause malfunction/jamming if a LS lens is used.

---------- Post added 13th Jan 2019 at 04:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Set the camera to a very slow speed, plug the flash into the lens via the PC connector and use a cable release on the lens to trip the lens shutter while the camera shutter is open.
Note this will only work in a pretty dark environment such as a studio with very dim modeling lights.
There is no shutter release point on either the 90 or 165mm leaf shutter lenses, only the sync terminal.
01-13-2019, 02:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you - but I think I have been missunderstood: I want to use the 90LS as a Portrait Lens on the K1 and use the leave shutter under "normal" model shooting conditions to get short sync time of e.g. 1/500 under normal daylight conditons - In dark conditions I see no need for this.

So I rephrase the question: Is there any possibility to close the 6x7 - lens apperture by the internal camera lever? (This would trigger the shutter too)

01-13-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Set the shutter speed on the camera side to 1/8 second, no higher. On the leaf shutter lens, rotate the shutter speed dial to any of the marked shutter speeds. ***NB*** DO NOT use mirror lock-up in LS mode if you have the 165mm LS lens. Mirror lock-up can be used in LS mode with the 90mm however.

Use a handheld flash exposure meter for determining flash exposure with the sync cord connected to the LS lens socket, not the camera's sync socket.

It is possible the adaptor will interfere with or cause malfunction/jamming if a LS lens is used.
There is no mechanical linkage between the K-mount body and 6x7 lens in the adapter to trip the shutter. The camera simply has no way of affecting the shutter.
QuoteQuote:

---------- Post added 13th Jan 2019 at 04:32 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

There is no shutter release point on either the 90 or 165mm leaf shutter lenses, only the sync terminal.
The 90mm has a cable release socket designed for doing multiple exposures. The op can use it for tripping the shutter

---------- Post added 01-13-19 at 09:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by klaus123 Quote
Thank you - but I think I have been missunderstood: I want to use the 90LS as a Portrait Lens on the K1 and use the leave shutter under "normal" model shooting conditions to get short sync time of e.g. 1/500 under normal daylight conditons - In dark conditions I see no need for this.

So I rephrase the question: Is there any possibility to close the 6x7 - lens apperture by the internal camera lever? (This would trigger the shutter too)
No. There is no mechanical linkage in the 6x7 adapter to allow this. The only way to trip the 90mm LS shutter with a K-mount adapter on it is as I described.
Giving it more thought though, as the lens is able to do multiple exposures, one should be able to make what you want to do work, but for the slight increase in sync speed you will get, just over a stop, it hardly seems worth the effort.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 01-13-2019 at 11:20 AM.
01-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If you're bound and determined, there is a crude way of using it but you have to meter and focus first and then carefully re-mount the lens without changing the focus for each picture. It's not practical at all or probably worth mentioning.

Apply a small piece of black electrical tape to hold down the aperture lever on the lens which will close the blades and then switch the lens from Auto to Manual mode. Mount the lens, put the camera in bulb mode, open the shutter, arm and operate the leaf shutter from the lens. After the shot close your cameras shutter. You'll get all flash sync speeds the lens offers.