Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 80
Lens hood off center

Just picked up a 150mm 6x7 lens that came with a lens hood. It fits on and goes to full lock but it is off center a bit.


The hood is marked for the 6x7 f2.4 105mm lens, I know the 150mm and 135mm share a lens hood and is marked as such.

It looks like one could try taking out the VERY SMALL flathead screws that join the inner piece to the outer piece of the hood, and then try turning it to line up better?

Those screws have been in there for decades, and I gave them a try but they are in there good, and don't want to break them.

Anyone else had this issue?




01-18-2019, 10:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Silent Street's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Richmond, VIC, AUS
Photos: Albums
Posts: 693
Your query prompted me to have a look at one of my numerous Pentax 67 hoods (PH-** designated). The screws are VERY small, but not immoveable. You will need a precise jeweller's Phillips-head screwdriver, accurate placement and firm but very slow anticlockwise turning. The worse that could happen is the screwdriver skipping off and marring the surface of the hood. The screws will not break. A tiny magnet comes in handy to pick up and hold safely the screws once out. A magnetised screwdriver tip is also a great help - - having such a tiny screw go missing is a near-impossible task to resolve just by looking!

The misalignment is probably due to the hood having received a decent bump. At the very least, the hood has afforded protection to the lens it was attached to!
01-18-2019, 11:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,949
QuoteOriginally posted by Blasst Quote
Just picked up a 150mm 6x7 lens that came with a lens hood. It fits on and goes to full lock but it is off center a bit.


The hood is marked for the 6x7 f2.4 105mm lens, I know the 150mm and 135mm share a lens hood and is marked as such.

It looks like one could try taking out the VERY SMALL flathead screws that join the inner piece to the outer piece of the hood, and then try turning it to line up better?

Those screws have been in there for decades, and I gave them a try but they are in there good, and don't want to break them.

Anyone else had this issue?

The hood you have is the old Takumar metal screw-in type? If so the 105/2.4 hood may not align correctly with the 150/2.8, which uses a different hood. The correct metal hood for the 150/2.8 will only align correctly on the lens itself or on a Pentax 6x7 bayonet filter, used on a regular screw-in filter it is off slightly.

Your other option is to get the newer PH-SA67 plastic hood which is clip-on and you set the alignment.

Phil.
01-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 80
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Your query prompted me to have a look at one of my numerous Pentax 67 hoods (PH-** designated). The screws are VERY small, but not immoveable. You will need a precise jeweller's Phillips-head screwdriver, accurate placement and firm but very slow anticlockwise turning. The worse that could happen is the screwdriver skipping off and marring the surface of the hood. The screws will not break. A tiny magnet comes in handy to pick up and hold safely the screws once out. A magnetised screwdriver tip is also a great help - - having such a tiny screw go missing is a near-impossible task to resolve just by looking!

The misalignment is probably due to the hood having received a decent bump. At the very least, the hood has afforded protection to the lens it was attached to!
I did try a jewelers standard head (regular) as they are not phillips screwheads on this lens hood. As I mentioned in my original post they did not budge, and they have been in there for a very long time. I am going to leave it as is. Thanks for your feedback anyway.

---------- Post added 01-19-19 at 10:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The hood you have is the old Takumar metal screw-in type? If so the 105/2.4 hood may not align correctly with the 150/2.8, which uses a different hood. The correct metal hood for the 150/2.8 will only align correctly on the lens itself or on a Pentax 6x7 bayonet filter, used on a regular screw-in filter it is off slightly.

Your other option is to get the newer PH-SA67 plastic hood which is clip-on and you set the alignment.

Phil.
Phil, yep the hood is the old metal Takumar screw-in hood. I will just get a dedicated 150mm metal hood. The seller probably didn't know that the 105/2.4 hood didn't fully align and sold it that way, as I didn't know either until it was on the camera. Some could live with a slight off alignment of the lens hood as you can see in my photo, but once I saw it...well not for me. Thanks!


Last edited by Blasst; 01-19-2019 at 09:21 AM.
01-19-2019, 09:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,830
My metal lens hood has no number on it but says: Takumar/6x7 1:2.8 90mm 1:2.4 105mm. That lens hood screws on and has a friction clutch to align it. It can move but not easily. My other is a bayonet mount version of the same.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
150mm, 645d, 645z, 6x7, alignment, camera, center, hood, lens, lens hood, medium format, metal, phil, piece, screw-in, screwdriver, screws, try
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fine Focus Adjustment off center points ShawnH Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 11-04-2018 04:00 PM
Nature Center Punched and Center Staged. Tonytee Post Your Photos! 3 07-12-2018 11:52 AM
KEH Cyber Monday-$50 off $300/$100 off $600/$200 off $100 Plus 0% Financing bladerunner6 Pentax Price Watch 2 11-27-2017 08:31 AM
Focus confirmation lights off center? Moto Fotoe Pentax K-3 8 07-21-2017 11:05 PM
Focus Points off center? suncrimson Pentax K-5 6 08-18-2011 09:41 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top