Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

Lens hood off center

Just picked up a 150mm 6x7 lens that came with a lens hood. It fits on and goes to full lock but it is off center a bit.

The hood is marked for the 6x7 f2.4 105mm lens, I know the 150mm and 135mm share a lens hood and is marked as such.

It looks like one could try taking out the VERY SMALL flathead screws that join the inner piece to the outer piece of the hood, and then try turning it to line up better?

Those screws have been in there for decades, and I gave them a try but they are in there good, and don't want to break them.

Anyone else had this issue?

01-18-2019, 10:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Your query prompted me to have a look at one of my numerous Pentax 67 hoods (PH-** designated). The screws are VERY small, but not immoveable. You will need a precise jeweller's Phillips-head screwdriver, accurate placement and firm but very slow anticlockwise turning. The worse that could happen is the screwdriver skipping off and marring the surface of the hood. The screws will not break. A tiny magnet comes in handy to pick up and hold safely the screws once out. A magnetised screwdriver tip is also a great help - - having such a tiny screw go missing is a near-impossible task to resolve just by looking!

The misalignment is probably due to the hood having received a decent bump. At the very least, the hood has afforded protection to the lens it was attached to!
01-18-2019, 11:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blasst Quote
Just picked up a 150mm 6x7 lens that came with a lens hood. It fits on and goes to full lock but it is off center a bit.

The hood is marked for the 6x7 f2.4 105mm lens, I know the 150mm and 135mm share a lens hood and is marked as such.

It looks like one could try taking out the VERY SMALL flathead screws that join the inner piece to the outer piece of the hood, and then try turning it to line up better?

Those screws have been in there for decades, and I gave them a try but they are in there good, and don't want to break them.

Anyone else had this issue?

The hood you have is the old Takumar metal screw-in type? If so the 105/2.4 hood may not align correctly with the 150/2.8, which uses a different hood. The correct metal hood for the 150/2.8 will only align correctly on the lens itself or on a Pentax 6x7 bayonet filter, used on a regular screw-in filter it is off slightly.

Your other option is to get the newer PH-SA67 plastic hood which is clip-on and you set the alignment.

Phil.
01-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Your query prompted me to have a look at one of my numerous Pentax 67 hoods (PH-** designated). The screws are VERY small, but not immoveable. You will need a precise jeweller's Phillips-head screwdriver, accurate placement and firm but very slow anticlockwise turning. The worse that could happen is the screwdriver skipping off and marring the surface of the hood. The screws will not break. A tiny magnet comes in handy to pick up and hold safely the screws once out. A magnetised screwdriver tip is also a great help - - having such a tiny screw go missing is a near-impossible task to resolve just by looking!

The misalignment is probably due to the hood having received a decent bump. At the very least, the hood has afforded protection to the lens it was attached to!
I did try a jewelers standard head (regular) as they are not phillips screwheads on this lens hood. As I mentioned in my original post they did not budge, and they have been in there for a very long time. I am going to leave it as is. Thanks for your feedback anyway.

---------- Post added 01-19-19 at 10:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The hood you have is the old Takumar metal screw-in type? If so the 105/2.4 hood may not align correctly with the 150/2.8, which uses a different hood. The correct metal hood for the 150/2.8 will only align correctly on the lens itself or on a Pentax 6x7 bayonet filter, used on a regular screw-in filter it is off slightly.

Your other option is to get the newer PH-SA67 plastic hood which is clip-on and you set the alignment.

Phil.
Phil, yep the hood is the old metal Takumar screw-in hood. I will just get a dedicated 150mm metal hood. The seller probably didn't know that the 105/2.4 hood didn't fully align and sold it that way, as I didn't know either until it was on the camera. Some could live with a slight off alignment of the lens hood as you can see in my photo, but once I saw it...well not for me. Thanks!

Last edited by Blasst; 01-19-2019 at 09:21 AM.
01-19-2019, 09:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

My metal lens hood has no number on it but says: Takumar/6x7 1:2.8 90mm 1:2.4 105mm. That lens hood screws on and has a friction clutch to align it. It can move but not easily. My other is a bayonet mount version of the same.