Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-28-2019, 05:09 PM   #1

Pentax 67II

Hey there,

First time posting here. I'm a young photographer who's just purchased a Pentax 67II online but am stumped upon receiving it. The exposure comp and metering mode selector are nowhere to be found. What do I make of this? Photo attached below.

P.S. I am a newbie, so answers in layman's terms are very appreciated.

Thanks for the help

Attached Images

01-28-2019, 05:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.

That's certainly odd. I thought you should be seeing this:

Last edited by MarkJerling; 01-28-2019 at 05:28 PM.
01-28-2019, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

the prism is removable, and it seems you have a standard, non-metered prism on your camera.

EDIT: Here: https://www.keh.com/shop/pentax-67-ae-pentaprism-finder-67ii-664531.html
01-28-2019, 07:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
the prism is removable, and it seems you have a standard, non-metered prism on your camera.

EDIT: Here: Pentax AE Pentaprism 67II Finder at KEH Camera
Thanks for the quick reply. Realized this after doing more research and am now wondering whether it's worth the upgrade to the AE prism, considering a number of the camera's functions are only possible with it. Would love an opinion, if you've got one.

Thanks so much

01-28-2019, 07:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I’ve only got a 67, not the 67II, so take this with a grain of salt, but you are missing both the auto exposure AND through the lens metering if you have the unmetered prism. While I shoot my Bronica ETRSi exclusively with a handheld meter, there is a convenience to having TTL metering that allows you to shoot a little more unplanned (as much as you can with a beast the size of these cameras.) In the end, it all depends on how you want to shoot the camera. You can get pretty decent handheld metering with a cell phone app.
01-28-2019, 08:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Auto-exposure convenience made possible by AE pentaprism finder

Auto-exposure convenience made possible by AE pentaprism finderThe 67II offers a choice of four interchangeable finders for creative flexibility. When the optional AE Pentaprism Finder 67II is mounted, you can take advantage of the versatile Aperture-Priority AE mode. Assisted by the high-precision 6-segment multi-pattern metering system, this finder automatically sets the optimum shutter speed between 1/1000 second and 30 seconds steplessly to properly expose the subject. It also features an easy-to-operate exposure compensation dial and a quick-setting metering mode selector on the top panel, as well as a multi-information LCD indicator in the viewfinder. To facilitate auto-exposure operation, the 67II incorporates such features as an "A" (auto) position on the shutter-speed dial and an exposure memory lock function.

I'd certainly go for this if had a 67 II.
01-28-2019, 10:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jb2550 Quote
First time posting here. I'm a young photographer who's just purchased a Pentax 67II online but am stumped upon receiving it. The exposure comp and metering mode selector are nowhere to be found. What do I make of this? Photo attached below.
Welcome to the forum!

Yep you got the the non-metered 6x7 standard prism and not the AE prism for the 67ii. The AE prism will cost around $800.00 extra if you can find one separately, but is well worth it for the features listed above. The 6 point matrix-metering mode is great for shooting slide film.

Note you can not use the older 6x7/67 TTL metered prism on the 67ii.

Phil.

01-29-2019, 06:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Use a hand-held incident or spot/multispot meter, and learn how to make exposures better than the camera. If something goes wrong, in time, you will need the skills of hand-held metering anyway.
01-31-2019, 12:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Also, the AE prism has a spot metering feature which is handy and an improvement over the former TTL prism on the older models. The TTL prism on the 6x7 model could easily be faked out by differential lighting within the scene. The AE spot mode lets you pick a small part of the scene to meter that you feel is more of an average reflectance. But, the AE meters are expensive so cost is a factor too.