Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2019, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #1

pentax 645 system outlook...

i use pentax 645 and pentax 67 lenses, in other words, i invested a lot of money and time in this company and i don't like the uncertain outlook because of the pentax brand! but this is ricoh policy and not very smart and intelligent! the goog thing is, there are usable solutions for me!

1) upgrade my 645z, if ricoh will spend the successor a large 100mp sensor - or the new 645 successor with the 100mp crop sensor is really perfect in autofocus and inbody image-stabilization!

2) Buy the new fuji gfx 100c (july) usable with my CAMBO G and all may 645 and 67 lenses and with my sony-e and my olympus m4/3 system / think this is the most possible solution!

3) the new hasselblad X1D II usable with my CAMBO G and all my 645 and 67 and sony e and olympus m4/3 lenses / don't think hasselblad is up to it...!

would like to see a large medium format sensor for pentax 645, otherwise what is the reason not to change the system..?

---------- Post added 02-08-19 at 10:47 AM ----------

ad 3) you can use the cambo g only with mirrorless cameras like my sony-e and my olympus m4/3 (and fuji gfx and hasselblad x1d) and all pentax 645 and 67 lenses but not with my olympus m4/3 and my sony-e lenses! sorry my fault! ;-)

02-08-2019, 02:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I see some validity in your thoughts.

Firstly, if Pentax simply throws the 100mp crop sensor into a 645z body, then yes there is no reason at all to stay with the Pentax system. There simply is no advantage in doing so.

I have used both the Hasselblad X1D and the Fuji GFX and I can’t stand the Fuji system. The cameras are clunky to use. I need more time with the Hasselblad to fully form an opinion.

I am waiting for the new Hasselblad X Mark II to arrive before making a final decision, and I could even just end up with a FF mirrorless system and leaving MF altogether.
02-09-2019, 12:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Foamberg Quote
i use pentax 645 and pentax 67 lenses, in other words, i invested a lot of money and time in this company and i don't like the uncertain outlook because of the pentax brand!

would like to see a large medium format sensor for pentax 645, otherwise what is the reason not to change the system..?[COLOR="Silver"]
Cameras and lenses are just tools. Why do you need a 100MP sensor or rather, what is your current 645Z not doing that is making you want to upgrade?

No one likes the uncertainty of the future, but I think if Ricoh drops the Pentax brand, someone else will pick it up. I don't see any camera brand as not having an uncertain outlook and how many brands offer cameras with medium format, full frame, APS-C, and 1/2.3" sized sensors?

Unless you have past experience with the alternatives you've mentioned and it exceeds your 645Z, I would recommend renting the others to see if dumping your 645Z is really the right decision.
02-09-2019, 02:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
@alex645 i'm not dumping my pentax 645z but it is not very practical for tilt/shift use, especially for fineart landscape and arcitecture photography! i use actually a zörk shift adapter without tilt! and for view camera use you need mirrorless to use old lenses! ;-)

02-09-2019, 03:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@alex645 i'm not dumping my pentax 645z but it is not very practical for tilt/shift use, especially for fineart landscape and arcitecture photography! i use actually a zörk shift adapter without tilt! and for view camera use you need mirrorless to use old lenses! ;-)
I see your point. Yes, it's disappointing that neither Cambo nor Horseman offer view cameras designed for Pentax mounts.
02-09-2019, 04:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Obviously for specific uses/needs, some systems are preferable to others, but I wonder how well T/S adapters really work with lenses not designed to be tilted/shifted when you're looking for optimum IQ (i.e. when using MF systems). There may be a point where the best option is an LF camera and dedicated digital back (or 5x4 film and a scanner at much reduced cost).

I've had a quick look at the X1D (well over my budget) - it's enticing due to the 'compact' size, but once you start using adapted MF lenses, you loose a lot of 'compactness' and most automation. Similar with the Fujis - they look a lot more compact from the front than they really are.

My D gives me everything I need, the lack of a 100Mp or FF 645 sensor isn't something I'd worry about, but there will become a point where the sensor in the Z goes out of production (Ricoh may have plenty in stock). Dropping in a 100Mp sensor shouldn't be too difficult but an FF 645 sensor would probably be much more expensive.
02-09-2019, 06:57 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love my 645z, and wish it had in-body GPS like the K1, and in-body image stabilization. Focus could be faster, with more focus points toward the corners of the field. A larger sensor like 100mpx may suffer from tiny pixel/poor low light performance.

The Fuji looks nice at first glance, but is awkward, really bad user interface design. The glass is pretty good. A friend has one and loves it, I can't stand it.

02-09-2019, 07:03 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yawn.... I think there's a snake in my beer.
More, "my camera only does what it did when I bought it" complaints.

If you bought it for what it does, it still does that.
02-09-2019, 08:03 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I see your point. Yes, it's disappointing that neither Cambo nor Horseman offer view cameras designed for Pentax mounts.
Actually, I *think* I remember seeing that the Cambo mini series somewhere offers the ability to use the K1/K1mk II....

When Cambo first came out with this system I was very enthusiastic at first ( I had an A7R, and the system was practically designed for mirrorless)...but the real problem is lenses. I quickly saw that I was going to have a difficult time getting the a.o.v. 's I needed for architectural or interiors work.
02-09-2019, 11:44 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm with Norm here. When exactly did your camera stop doing what you expected it to do?

uncertainty? Pentax? th hell?
02-10-2019, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

i invested a lot of money and time in this company
If you are using old 67 lenses, you haven't made much money for Pentax in the recent years, Pentax can complain about you.

1) upgrade my 645z, if ricoh will spend the successor a large 100mp sensor - or the new 645 successor with the 100mp crop sensor is really perfect in autofocus and inbody image-stabilization!2) Buy the new fuji gfx 100c (july) usable with my CAMBO G and all may 645 and 67 lenses and with my sony-e and my olympus m4/3 system / think this is the most possible solution!3) the new hasselblad X1D II usable with my CAMBO G and all my 645 and 67 and sony e and olympus m4/3 lenses / don't think hasselblad is up to it...!
How many mega pixels do you need? Because if only it is about to feel that companies are making new products for you to be confident, then how confident will you be once the 100Mpixel is released? Will you be worried because there is no 200Mpixels camera in the roadmap?
02-10-2019, 05:44 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
If you are using old 67 lenses, you haven't made much money for Pentax in the recent years, Pentax can complain about you.

How many mega pixels do you need? Because if only it is about to feel that companies are making new products for you to be confident, then how confident will you be once the 100Mpixel is released? Will you be worried because there is no 200Mpixels camera in the roadmap?
don't worry, i use all 645 dfa lenses and a 67 f4.0 45 + 67 300 ifed! and some sony gm and zeiss loxia lenses and some olympus primes incl. the 4.0 300! and my pentax 645z! to invest in optics is the best idea in photography because it is a long lasting investment! ;-)

---------- Post added 02-10-19 at 05:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote

and second, 100mp is usefull to produce large prints "every" medium photographer is interested in! ;-) you do not need 100mp to upload instagram or facebook pics - and it is not very hsefull for journalists or sports photographers! ;-)
02-10-2019, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Yawn.... I think there's a snake in my beer.
More, "my camera only does what it did when I bought it" complaints.

If you bought it for what it does, it still does that.
BINGO!!!!!!!

You hit the nail on the head.
02-10-2019, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I think that the OP is trying to say that he invested in what he thought was going to be an ongoing growing system, but since there has been no meaningful updates, lenses, bodies, news and signs of life since late 2014 (apart from a re-released DFA35), he now feels that he’s invested in a system that is going nowhere.

Regardless of whether or not it can still do what he wants, there is a valid point to be made.

Also, when you know that you can have the same level of performance from a new body less than half the weight, with lenses that your system simply can’t offer, you can’t blame him for looking.
02-10-2019, 08:51 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I think that the OP is trying to say that he invested in what he thought was going to be an ongoing growing system, but since there has been no meaningful updates, lenses, bodies, news and signs of life since late 2014 (apart from a re-released DFA35), he now feels that he’s invested in a system that is going nowhere.

Regardless of whether or not it can still do what he wants, there is a valid point to be made.

Also, when you know that you can have the same level of performance from a new body less than half the weight, with lenses that your system simply can’t offer, you can’t blame him for looking.
At least somebody gets it. And it’s not just a fanboy.

When you invest in a system is not only that camera, it’s the brand and the future. Or you’re gonna have to invest all again in another brand eventually, and sell a depreciating system.