Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2019, 04:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't look at it as investing in a system and worrying about resale values. I buy cameras to shoot with, to do that I might need various lenses and other accessories, if I can justify the expense I'll buy them. Sometimes I buy something that doesn't work for me and I might trade it for something else.

I'm an amateur and have no expectations to make cash from the camera - or how much it might be worth in the future (I'm more concerned that it continues to work). Pro's have a different outlook about gear, but resale is likely to be a low priority as the more they use a camera, the more money they make from it (if they're good enough).

I bought my D used, my P6x7 lenses used, the few FA 645 lenses I have used - Pentax have made nothing out of my purchases apart from keeping me interested in the brand and my minute contribution by shooting their gear out in the wild.

02-11-2019, 07:28 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote

I bought my D used, my P6x7 lenses used, the few FA 645 lenses I have used - Pentax have made nothing out of my purchases apart from keeping me interested in the brand and my minute contribution by shooting their gear out in the wild.
I would suggest your purchase of used equipment may have allowed the seller to purchase new Pentax gear. I think that is more of a contribution to Pentax than you realize.
02-11-2019, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the brand argument has more justification for the Pentax MF case than for camera manufacturers in general. This is because there are no (to my knowledge) third-party lens manufacturers like (e.g.) Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, making 645 or 6 x 7 lenses. Some adapters are available for lenses from other MF brands, but these are not fully compatible A and F wise. Further, until relatively recently there were few (if any) third-party fully Pentax-compatible flashes, so again one was locked into the brand. Then there are all the peripherals such as remote wired or wireless shutter controls, flash cables, etc., that are rarely available from third parties.

Thus, the long-term Pentax MF user has to depend on the manufacturer to provide some degree of continuous support unless financially able to abandon the camera system in favor of some other equally-performing brand and model that will be supported for a similarly brief time.