Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2019, 07:09 AM   #1

Pentax 6x7 problem

Hi guys!

I've had my 6x7 for a few years now and it's worked fine until recently, when I started to have problems all of a sudden.

I can load in the film just fine, and start winding it, but when I close the back it never advances the shot counter, and I can never start shooting any frames. It just works the whole roll to finish, without cocking the shutter. It seems like it doesn't recognize that there's film inside?

02-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is the film type 120/220 set properly on the camera body to match the film you are using. Other than that also check the batteries.

Phil.
02-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The next time you load film, keep the film door open and advance the frame counter in the center of the winding mechanism with a pencil eraser to shot one. Hold that at that frame while you close the door. Now try winding to see if the shutter engages.
02-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Is the film type 120/220 set properly on the camera body to match the film you are using. Other than that also check the batteries.

Phil.
Yes it's set properly to 120. The battery check light turns on bright, although i'm not quite sure how old the battery is.

---------- Post added 02-14-19 at 12:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
The next time you load film, keep the film door open and advance the frame counter in the center of the winding mechanism with a pencil eraser to shot one. Hold that at that frame while you close the door. Now try winding to see if the shutter engages.
Okay, will try!

02-14-2019, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
On a couple of occasions when I first started using the Pentax 67 I was not threading the leader deeply enough into the spool slot, not winding it sufficiently to build tension. The result of this faux pas was that the shutter wouldn't fire and there was no wind-on! Some films also do not have a punched hole in the leader (unlike Fuji-san), and this makes for quite a fiddly exercise without having a piece of masking tape to stick the leader in place, especially if you happen to discover the take-up spool itself does not have a 'tang' in the slot to grip the hole in the film leader! Always carry a small amount of tape for quick fixes!

If there is no doubt the film leader engagement technique is at fault (and that is what I think), the other thing that comes to mind is a broken or worn/slipping winding pawl (when the cameras have been through many years of quite heavy, day in, day out professional use, the winding mechanism is usually the first thing to fault). If it is intermittent in nature, you might be able to make-do and get on with it. Otherwise, not being user-serviceable, an enquiry can be made to Eric at pentaxs.com

The frame counter roller, that slender tube to the right of the film gate, may be suspect.

Like others have said, I would also check the battery, and especially the battery compartment for any signs of corrosion.

Last edited by Silent Street; 02-15-2019 at 08:22 PM.