Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2019, 07:03 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Year before last, I travelled to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks with my P6x7 and only 2 lenses, the 6x7 55/4 and the 35/4.5 Fisheye-Takumar. Using only fast B&W film and wide-angle lenses, all shots were handheld negating the need to travel with a tripod (the slowest shutter speed used was 1/125 sec.).

Here are the results from that trip, all of the B&W shots (with one exception) were made with the P6x7. The remainder were made using my K-5.
Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks | Flickr

03-29-2019, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cobbu2 Quote
Year before last, I travelled to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks with my P6x7 and only 2 lenses, the 6x7 55/4 and the 35/4.5 Fisheye-Takumar. Using only fast B&W film and wide-angle lenses, all shots were handheld negating the need to travel with a tripod (the slowest shutter speed used was 1/125 sec.).

Here are the results from that trip, all of the B&W shots (with one exception) were made with the P6x7. The remainder were made using my K-5.
Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks | Flickr
There are some very nice shots in there!

Still trying to decide to take my 6x7 overseas.....mmmm..... was leaning towards leaving it and just taking a couple of digital cameras, now after reading your post I am contemplating taking it again lol.
03-29-2019, 07:09 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Thanks! With only 2 lenses for the 6x7, the management was easy with one lens attached and the other in a photo vest pocket. Occasionally I was able to take advantage of placing the camera against railings, trees, etc. for extra stability, but it wasn’t required. From my experience, as long as the constraints were met (wide-angle lenses, fast film), effects from vibration were minimized, especially since most of the shutter/mirror vibration occurs post-exposure.
03-29-2019, 10:48 PM   #19
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
I'm impressed. OK, I've seen all the fabulous images from around the world posted into the MF images thread, a continuous line of stunning images one after the other. Some posters seem to travel on a regular basis, always with a D/Z or film, often with multiple lenses (28-45, 45-85, 55, 90, 150, 200 etc.) and rock steady tripods - all whilst enjoying a family holiday, working away from home or whatever...

How much kit do you carry on these trips and how do you find the time for these stunning images (let alone how you plan/decide what you're going to capture)?
When I was shooting with the 6x7, I had the body, meter prism, 45, 75, 105, 135, and 200mm lenses. I shot B&W, so had a dozen or more filters as well. It all went into a Lowe Pro backpack. For a long road trip I would take as many as a hundred rolls of 120 film.
When I got into 4x5, I carried a Tachihara, 65mm, 90mm, 150mm and 210mm. My wides were Schneider, the 150 & 210 were Nikkors. I also carried ~20 film holders, a Pentax spot meter a bunch of filters and a big dark cloth. In separate luggage, a few hundred sheets of film, though I never shot that much, empty boxes sorted into plus or minus development and a dark tent for changing film.
And we tent camped. It was fun.
As for finding the time, the purpose of that sort of travel is to bring home nice pictures. We traveled to the US Southwest a lot and I got some pretty nice pictures.