Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2019, 08:27 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I have been lusting after 645Z for years. Now it is quite close of the point where I could afford it(new). It is almost as much as Fuji. And lens prize is quite close, except for vintage lenses.
And those "vintage" lenses, some not really very old, are what makes the system far more affordable today than the Fuji.
QuoteQuote:
Having OVF(big one) sounds really nice too,
Yes, it is an eye-opener!
QuoteQuote:
and good handling because this camera would be my ultimate landscape camera,
very good handling
QuoteQuote:
to be used with cloves on also big part of the year(winter).
But you still have to choose your gloves carefully. But it works well in winter. It kept shooting one early morning when my glasses froze over and I could barely see.
QuoteQuote:
But I believe that for many it is all about having the latest. I know that for some 50 MP(medium format) is not enough.
Oh, well. Maybe a handful are correct. I know that in my work a 100mp "FF" 645 sensor would be helpful, although I probably won't be able to afford it when it arrives in Pentax (and I think it will after a while).
QuoteQuote:
But For me it(645Z) would still be better than what I could get out of it, for years.

And that is called wisdom.

03-31-2019, 11:39 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
And those "vintage" lenses, some not really very old, are what makes the system far more affordable today than the Fuji. Yes, it is an eye-opener! very good handling But you still have to choose your gloves carefully. But it works well in winter. It kept shooting one early morning when my glasses froze over and I could barely see. Oh, well. Maybe a handful are correct. I know that in my work a 100mp "FF" 645 sensor would be helpful, although I probably won't be able to afford it when it arrives in Pentax (and I think it will after a while).And that is called wisdom.
Not much to add there. I think that there could be 100 MP MF. Or why not a true D 645. In either of case it would be out of my budget(me looking around 3-4000 to be able to get one, if all will go well). But given that there are great options of FA and A- lenses not to forget 67 format lenses, which will still be quite good for what they are.. it sure is tempting. To get smooth dark shades, crisp details, great light tones too. K-1 has made me more thirsty for all that..
06-13-2019, 02:07 AM   #33

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's dumb, how do you know lenses can resolve 100Mp based on seeing images from a 50Mp sensor?
Fujifilm mentioned it many times, that their GF lenses are designed to resolve 100MP and beyond. And it shows with the recent sample images of GFX 100. Those lenses are a gem each.
06-13-2019, 04:04 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Manzur Fahim Quote
Fujifilm mentioned it many times, that their GF lenses are designed to resolve 100MP and beyond. And it shows with the recent sample images of GFX 100. Those lenses are a gem each.
Test chats show that at least the GF 120 macro doesn't resolve 100Mp. I never believe marketing folks, I believe only what I see.

06-13-2019, 05:20 AM   #35

Test chats show that at least the GF 120 macro doesn't resolve 100Mp. I never believe marketing folks, I believe only what I see.
Did they do a test with 120mm and GFX 100? I didn't know that. Must be very recent, could you point me or a link so I can have a look? Thanks
06-13-2019, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Manzur Fahim Quote
Did they do a test with 120mm and GFX 100? I didn't know that. Must be very recent, could you point me or a link so I can have a look? Thanks
It was DP Review test chart. Anyway, saying that the lens resolve 100Mp doesn't mean anything, it should be a chart with lines/mm vs contrast.
06-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #37

DPReview has posted that their GFX100 studio test scene was mis-focused, will have to be re-shot.
06-21-2019, 11:56 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by orengrad Quote
DPReview has posted that their GFX100 studio test scene was mis-focused, will have to be re-shot.
How can a mirrorless camera be missfocused? According to what's being said, miss-focus is not possible with a mirrorless camera on a static flat scene.

06-21-2019, 12:03 PM   #39
Pentaxian

How can a mirrorless camera be missfocused? According to what's being said, miss-focus is not possible with a mirrorless camera on a static flat scene.
Two ways:

1) If AF runs at a different aperture (e.g., wide open for greatest sensitivity to mis-focusing) than the one used during shooting, any spherical aberration in the lens will create a difference in the plane of focus.

2) CDAF software confusion with local maxima in the contrast-versus-lens-position curve.
06-21-2019, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Two ways:1) If AF runs at a different aperture (e.g., wide open for greatest sensitivity to mis-focusing) than the one used during shooting, any spherical aberration in the lens will create a difference in the plane of focus.2) CDAF software confusion with local maxima in the contrast-versus-lens-position curve.
Lens / aperture effect, it may be, I've seen it also on my DSLR. At 102Mpixel on MF (equ. 60Mpixels on FF) focus must be even more precise to get the max resolution from such high pixel density. Anyway I don't see a wedding photographer going to his lab for producing the 102Mp images and the next ask to shoot the wedding again because focus not exactly right for the 102Mp resolution.
06-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #41

Two ways:

1) If AF runs at a different aperture (e.g., wide open for greatest sensitivity to mis-focusing) than the one used during shooting, any spherical aberration in the lens will create a difference in the plane of focus.

2) CDAF software confusion with local maxima in the contrast-versus-lens-position curve.
Third way: the test was run using manual focus, and the EVF (or LCD) does not provide a sufficiently clear view to reliably judge focus at such a demanding level. This is a common problem with live view systems in very-high-resolution cameras, and although we don't know yet about the GFX100, the GFX50S and 50R are well-documented to be tricky for critical manual focus even for the 50MP sensor in those cameras. (Mind you, the 645Z is not perfect in that respect either, or at least the sample I tested a while back posed some challenges.)

Another possible issue is that at least some fly-by-wire focus systems, as in the Fuji cameras, do not always hold accurate focus between exposures if the interval is long enough and the sensor, finder, etc time out. I don't know enough about the DPR studio test method to know whether this problem might apply.
06-21-2019, 04:13 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All the firstlook/reviews are done with pre release firmware.

Many have been done with CDAF only,the firmware for bringing PDAF has only been available since the 20th.
Also,taking DPreviews findings as relevant ..hmmm?

It was DP Review test chart.
06-22-2019, 02:35 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It still doesn't make much sense. It is a static scene and shot stopped down, not wide open. Even if using CDAF, the focus may take a long time to achieve focus, but it should be accurate once it does. It's either proof of incompetence on the part of DP Review or that mirrorless AF isn't as awesome as some want to think it is. Or maybe both.
06-22-2019, 06:47 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
All the firstlook/reviews are done with pre release firmware.

Many have been done with CDAF only,the firmware for bringing PDAF has only been available since the 20th.

Also,taking DPreviews findings as relevant ..hmmm?
On-sensor PDAF can also generate focusing errors if the AF runs with the lens wide-open (needed for the highest possible AF speed & AF sensitivity) but then the lens is stopped-down for the picture. To fix this, MILCs also require lens calibration which may be subject to errors due to copy variation, wear, or damage to the lens.

Another cause for this kind of error is that PDAF can be fooled by subjects with repeating patterns (e.g., resolution test targets, distant building facades, window screens, etc.). Repeating patterns can also fool CDAF but the effect is weaker. Some camera manuals explicitly warn about this.
07-18-2019, 11:05 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Just to make a update on my view on this now.

Seems like there is a lot of Fuji 50 S/R cameras up for crab now for quite good prize even at here at Finland and there is already now some Fuji GF lensses up at ebay about half for what they are as new. Prize is somehow close or even less than for 645Z (50r was selling for 2500€(not for long thou)used in a camera shop with 11000 actuations)). It is almost silly, oh I did not get that 50r, I looked at it one day and next day it was gone...