Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The difference for me (having some P6x7 lenses and an adapter)* was that the Pentax offered me a much cheaper way into digital MF than anything else. I bought a D a year ago, initially using only P6x7 lenses (which is a seamless experience and delivers very good results), only recently buying a couple of 645 FA lenses. I still use some of the P6x7 lenses and can 'double-up' their versatility if I'm carrying both the P6x7 & D (thus saving a lot of space & weight). Obviously you can adapt other lenses to the Fuji, but it won't be the same "I've forgotten it's not a native mount lens" experience that I get when using them on the D.

There are other 'system' benefits, taking the same battery & charger as a K-5 & K-1 is a big benefit (all my batteries fit any of my cameras, I only need one charger and have spares of both), being able to use my old AF240FT flashgun gives me an AF illuminator and 2nd curtain sync for free, my old Pentax IR remote control gives me IR for free and my O-GPS1 gives me GPS for free. Not having to duplicate accessories saves huge amounts of cash, space & weight.

Before buying the D I noticed a fairly large number of 'refurbished' Fuji bodies & lenses for sale at significant discounts, for a fairly new system this seemed a bit strange.

07-19-2019, 11:49 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
The difference for me (having some P6x7 lenses and an adapter)* was that the Pentax offered me a much cheaper way into digital MF than anything else. I bought a D a year ago, initially using only P6x7 lenses (which is a seamless experience and delivers very good results), only recently buying a couple of 645 FA lenses. I still use some of the P6x7 lenses and can 'double-up' their versatility if I'm carrying both the P6x7 & D (thus saving a lot of space & weight). Obviously you can adapt other lenses to the Fuji, but it won't be the same "I've forgotten it's not a native mount lens" experience that I get when using them on the D.

There are other 'system' benefits, taking the same battery & charger as a K-5 & K-1 is a big benefit (all my batteries fit any of my cameras, I only need one charger and have spares of both), being able to use my old AF240FT flashgun gives me an AF illuminator and 2nd curtain sync for free, my old Pentax IR remote control gives me IR for free and my O-GPS1 gives me GPS for free. Not having to duplicate accessories saves huge amounts of cash, space & weight.

Before buying the D I noticed a fairly large number of 'refurbished' Fuji bodies & lenses for sale at significant discounts, for a fairly new system this seemed a bit strange.
yes, I’v just taken a notice on that. Dunno. sometimes if it seems too good to be true it is not. I believe that touch screen, which has already been acting up on 50 r, will just get worse by the time. imagine that lot of functions are by wire..?
08-09-2019, 12:25 PM   #48

I enjoy your videos. Do you have anything on the video capabilities of the 645Z?
08-09-2019, 06:05 PM   #49

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobspez Quote
I enjoy your videos. Do you have anything on the video capabilities of the 645Z?
Hey Bob, in the 645Z vs 50R video, I did do a comparison, as well has the 645Z vs Hasselblad X1D, you will notice the 645Z has electronic stabilization in video, so its much smoother, but video does seem sharper on the gfx and x1d, I think its just because they are newer cameras, but 1080p is great on all cameras

08-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jberry Quote
Hey Bob, in the 645Z vs 50R video, I did do a comparison, as well has the 645Z vs Hasselblad X1D, you will notice the 645Z has electronic stabilization in video, so its much smoother, but video does seem sharper on the gfx and x1d, I think its just because they are newer cameras, but 1080p is great on all cameras
Have you done a sum up between all of these 3 cameras. This thread started off as just pentax 645 and fuji 50.
08-11-2019, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #51

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Have you done a sum up between all of these 3 cameras. This thread started off as just pentax 645 and fuji 50.
Haha yes it did, sadly I had to sell the 645Z to fund the X1D system. So at the time the only youtube reviews I did was the 645Z vs the 50R and 645Z vs the X1D, I didn't have time to do all 3 together.

I can comment though, and say if you don't care about the weight or the size of the 645Z, hands down the 645Z has the better raw files, faster and more accurate focusing, as well as the feeling like you can drop it and itll still work, plus the lenses are affordable as well.

The Fujifilm GFX 50R, at around ISO 3200 and above you can see this noise pattern I did not like, lenses for it are so sharp, I feel that sharpening is happening to the raw files in the camera, like its being baked in, colors are more towards the magenta side of things.

The X1D raw files are between the GFX and 645Z files, noise is not bad but not as good as the 645Z noise control, lenses are really excellent with the X1D, shutter is in the lens itself (left shutter system) so its rated for 1,000,000 exposures, whats funny is the shutter will sound different depending on what lens you put on the X1D, but the 45mm I have now, it sounds as loud as the 645Z shutter, weird right.

What attracted me to the X1D system, is the touch screen, easy to use menus, the colors straight out of camera (Hasselblad is more towards a green tint I been noticing), size is so small, will be happy to take it with me on my next vacation, also loving the touch screen interface on changing settings / menus, I just feel more of a connection with the X1D, GFX 50R, feels larger and more hallow when you pick it up, buttons are kinda small. If anyone has any questions they can PM me or ask here
08-11-2019, 07:27 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Haha yes it did, sadly I had to sell the 645Z to fund the X1D system. So at the time the only youtube reviews I did was the 645Z vs the 50R and 645Z vs the X1D, I didn't have time to do all 3 together.

I can comment though, and say if you don't care about the weight or the size of the 645Z, hands down the 645Z has the better raw files, faster and more accurate focusing, as well as the feeling like you can drop it and itll still work, plus the lenses are affordable as well.

The Fujifilm GFX 50R, at around ISO 3200 and above you can see this noise pattern I did not like, lenses for it are so sharp, I feel that sharpening is happening to the raw files in the camera, like its being baked in, colors are more towards the magenta side of things.

The X1D raw files are between the GFX and 645Z files, noise is not bad but not as good as the 645Z noise control, lenses are really excellent with the X1D, shutter is in the lens itself (left shutter system) so its rated for 1,000,000 exposures, whats funny is the shutter will sound different depending on what lens you put on the X1D, but the 45mm I have now, it sounds as loud as the 645Z shutter, weird right.

What attracted me to the X1D system, is the touch screen, easy to use menus, the colors straight out of camera (Hasselblad is more towards a green tint I been noticing), size is so small, will be happy to take it with me on my next vacation, also loving the touch screen interface on changing settings / menus, I just feel more of a connection with the X1D, GFX 50R, feels larger and more hallow when you pick it up, buttons are kinda small. If anyone has any questions they can PM me or ask here
That sounds interesting. Good that you found hassy working well for you

08-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

Ha-ha. I can personally vouch for the "the feeling like you can drop it and itll still work". Fell off the top of a 5 foot stepladder, a leg of which sank into mud, and hit the ground camera first, hard. I was hurt, the camera was not (I did manage to keep the lens from hitting hard). Not concrete, but still.

5 years hence, the Z is still a winner.

08-21-2019, 12:00 AM   #54

Mine fell on the hard ground, dropped from the backpack that I had left open without noticing, the DFA35 was damaged (AF motor replaced), but the body... nothing broken. It continues to work as if nothing had happened more than 3 years later.